+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby's first black player

Derby's first black player

Genuinely don't know the answer to this, anyone want to offer a suggestion who it was? I'm actually struggling to remember one before Floyd Streete and Charlie Palmer.

Blackman😊

Quote Originally Posted by BaaLocks View Post
    Genuinely don't know the answer to this, anyone want to offer a suggestion who it was? I'm actually struggling to remember one before Floyd Streete and Charlie Palmer.
    Tewfik Abdullah

Name:  abdullah.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  6.8 KB
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 23-01-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Tewfik Abdullah

Name:  abdullah.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  6.8 KB
    Ninety eight years ago!
    OTR reckons he was brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Ninety eight years ago!
    OTR reckons he was brilliant!
    Brilliant comment!

Its not my intention to get into the matter of eugenics or racial differentiation but, not wishing to split hairs, Abdullah was, I believe, Egyptian and thus middle eastern / arabic and not black? To presume that a culture has to be one or the other is to accept a racial dichotomy that white colonialists themselves invented for the purpose of sorting the world into "civilized" (white) and "savage" (colored) peoples.

So, the search goes on - Tewfik is disqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Its not my intention to get into the matter of eugenics or racial differentiation but, not wishing to split hairs, Abdullah was, I believe, Egyptian and thus middle eastern / arabic and not black? To presume that a culture has to be one or the other is to accept a racial dichotomy that white colonialists themselves invented for the purpose of sorting the world into "civilized" (white) and "savage" (colored) peoples.

Edit: I just checked with a Cornbeefer if his family recall the legend that is Tewfik. They do, he was nicknamed 'Toothpick', and DEFINITELY 'black'! Lovely place Scotland, a place where you can say 'Ooo eye, that black guy from just after the war' without some one organising a rally against you.
    Edit: Cornbeefer = Cowdenbeath fan (apparently), family connections apply, Mrs Faber's dad was on their books in the early 60's
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 23-01-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post

Disqualification overruled on the basis of you overthinking it.
    Unless ‘black’ now means exclusively of ‘West Indian or negro’ origin then, imo, Andy’s call is good.
    The first famous player to fit that ‘origin’ that I can remember was West Ham’s Clyde Best who must be around seventy now.
    Being brought up on Rugby League I never understood what all the fuss was about...there were loads of ‘black’ RL players in the sixties...the great Billy Boston, Mike Elliott and Colin Dixon to name but three and a collection of lesser known Fijians who seemed to largely end up at Rochdale for some reason.
    Never seemed to matter one jot until the neanderthals turned up to start chucking bananas and moronic abuse.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 23-01-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Unless ‘black’ now means exclusively of ‘West Indian or negro’ origin then, imo, Andy’s call is good.
    The first famous player to fit that ‘origin’ that I can remember was West Ham’s Clyde Best who must be around seventy now.
    Being brought up on Rugby League I never understood what all the fuss was about...there were loads of ‘black’ RL players in the sixties...the great Billy Boston, Mike Elliott and Colin Dixon to name but three and a collection of lesser known Fijians who seemed to largely end up at Rochdale for some reason.
    Never seemed to matter one jot until the neandertals turned up to start chucking bananas and moronic abuse.
    Just to put this to rest (apart from with RR I'll bet), Derby's first black player was Tony Parry, who I recall playing precisely because he was black (I may have seen him in the reserves not the first team), who Brian Clough was rumoured to have bought from Hartlepool just to keep them in business. Played the back end of one season then moved on.
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 23-01-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Never seemed to matter one jot until the neandertals turned up to start chucking bananas and moronic abuse.
    I knew Clyde slightly and also played with his nephew (they were Bermudian and I worked there for a few years back in the day). Also Sean Goater's uncle.... but its a very small place so not difficult!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)