+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby's first black player

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    There is apparently a book on the whole subject (of foreign players, not just 'black'), can't find the name of it ATM. If we are talking the whole of the British Isles, can't recall the name of the bloke but he played for Queen's Park before even efendi Abdullah's time
    Interesting list here <http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lists/47778/10-black-pioneers-in-british-football.html?pid=10964#img>. Love the point that Arthur Wharton, first ever black player in the 'professional' game, played as either keeper or winger.

Re: Rugby League - don't forget Clive Sullivan, first black captain of both England and the RL Lions (I'd posit the first black captain of any sport for England / G. On the subject of Billy Boston, I interviewed him once for a fanzine at his pub in Wigan. Absolute legend, gave me all the time I wanted and was an absolute pleasure to meet.

Tewfik is a good call, well remembered. How about in the modern / post-war era. Can anyone remember someone before Charlie Palmer?

Quote Originally Posted by BaaLocks View Post
    Interesting list here <http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lists/47778/10-black-pioneers-in-british-football.html?pid=10964#img>. Love the point that Arthur Wharton, first ever black player in the 'professional' game, played as either keeper or winger.

Re: Rugby League - don't forget Clive Sullivan, first black captain of both England and the RL Lions (I'd posit the first black captain of any sport for England / G. On the subject of Billy Boston, I interviewed him once for a fanzine at his pub in Wigan. Absolute legend, gave me all the time I wanted and was an absolute pleasure to meet.

Tewfik is a good call, well remembered. How about in the modern / post-war era. Can anyone remember someone before Charlie Palmer?
    See above. And I think there was a Scottish INTERNATIONAL who predated Wharton, I refuse to use wiki someone else needs to troll round

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Disqualification overruled on the basis of you overthinking it.
    Unless ‘black’ now means exclusively of ‘West Indian or negro’ origin then, imo, Andy’s call is good.
    I know many middle eastern (and indeed east indian) people who would be mortified if you described them as black. This says as much for arab racial prejudices as it does for skin tones, but I hold my line on the overthinking!

Re: Rugby League - don't forget Clive Sullivan, first black captain of both England and the RL Lions
    Anyone who saw that try he scored against the Aussies back in the day could NEVER forget him. Fastest 100m ever whilst carrying a ball....

Edit: 11.92 seconds, bl**dy H*ll.
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 23-01-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Don’t know how I forgot Clive Sullivan...unforgivable.
    You interviewed Billy Boston? I am genuinely in awe. Used to score regularly against my team but is high on my list of all time great sportsmen.

P.S. Never could stand Eddie Waring...sorry, Rog.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 23-01-2018 at 05:25 PM.

So, in conclusion, it's been a weird day. I started watching Derby in 1973 and I guess I got to the place today that I realised I didn't see a black player in a Derby shirt till 1984 (names I have mentioned already, Charlie Palmer and Floyd Streete). Eleven years and I had no reason to question it....

What is weird to me is that I never realised this, on two counts. First, I never even worried about it that Derby (I know, we were in no way unique) was only staffed by white players. Second, I never even batted an eyelid when Charlie Palmer played - there was no great fanfare or statement. From the other side, three years later I was at college in Newcastle and I remember seeing them monkey chanting their own player (Tony Cunningham).

It's a weird life we all live through - there might even come a day when the Welsh are considered equal....

It doesn't matter if the cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice!

Now before anyone misunderstands this as an allegation by me on the topic of racial equality, that's not the case. It's just an opportune moment to slip a catchy phrase made famous by Chairman Deng (of all people).
    Last edited by Romanis; 23-01-2018 at 08:01 PM.

‘There might even come a day when the Welsh are considered equal’. Quite ironic given your enthusiasm for Billy Boston and Clive Sullivan.

Here's an harder question, who was Derby County's first white player?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)