+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Smart Meters

O/T Smart Meters

Freetnin things ,

Funny tha shud mention 'em Roma thuv only just got rarnd to purrin 'em in rarnd here in aar mean terraced 'arzez. Poor lad purrin aarz in edda reyt tow--up near the ceiling in kitchen fo electric and darn in cellar fo gas. A cud ear him cursin to issen and blowing like Moncur after a ten yard run. Took him ovva three hours to fit 'em sweating like a bullock.
    Av been laikin wi it and tha reyt, it's freetnin watching money add up, especially when tha puts kettle on. Am like Jim Royle chunterring away. Al need Sanchez's wage to keep up. Set wi a blanket and shawl rarnd me on cold neets. It's o'reyt fo you fancy dans in posh arzez in the likes of Ardsley. We old buggers need aar fuel allowance.

Nubdi bothuz orr us owduns namoor , all tek tek tek , av thrown a pot towel orr my readins screen nar chuffin Frozzun , we want moor fewel allowance it's norranuff

Shud be doubled. Get Boris onto it. Iz only wun who knows what's needed evvin suffered issen.

Why do we need them? Keep getting pressured from company to have one installed, but they can eff off

I've been in the metering industry since 05', I'm now inspecting & auditing smart meter installations. I'll tell you the REAL reasons why they will be compulsory....

1. To stop people fiddling is the main reason.
    2. To stop people fiddling.
    3. You get my drift...

All the smart meters that are getting fitted now are using first gen SMETS1. which cannot be fitted in poor signal areas if you are on a pre-payment tariff. They work on a variation of the 4G network called zigbee. If your electric meter is in the cellar with no signal they will not be able to use the smart capabilities that makes them smart meters, so effectively they will be nice & shiny new dumb meters.
    All the info goes through a HUB thats connected the the electric meter, which then sends the data to the gas & in home display. (IHD) & back to the supplier.

BG are fitting SMETS2 as we speak, these are much better meters that can 'borrow' the signal from another smart meter nearby which will cut down the bad signal area aborts. But they are expensive, you can also switch suppliers without having the meters changed on SMETS2.
    My strong advice would be to wait until your supplier is rolling out these meters and refuse any requests from them to install SMETS1.

hope this helps,
    I'll be happy to answer any Q's on these if you want lads.

Cheers Robbo.
    A lot of "developments" in the energy and other sectors are theear to help the companies in terms of profits with a spin that they will benefit the customer. Thuz people trying to con us ivveryweer tha turns.