+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very OT Tennis

Very OT Tennis

Good to see an English player in the semi finals of a grand slam for the first time since 2004: even though I had never heard of him before. A real "Tin Cup" performance but hopefully without the last hole.

Lets hope he is the first English player to get to a grand slam final since John Lloyd in 1977 (Rusedski being Canadian really).

Excellente Monsieur, I was wanting to talk tennis for some time but didn't know the whether there was anyone else here who would be interested.
    I'm a crazy tennis fan as well, been following for years, and was excited since the start of the year with Federer winning the Hopman Cup and of course the Australian Open, my 2nd favourite Slam. As a Federer fan (since Roddick's retirement), I was overjoyed when he did a "Sampras" (favourite player before Roddick) last year, rolling back the years to win the AO. Then incredibly, an eighth Wimbledon.
    Naturally I'm willing him to win again, and if can overcome Berdych tomorrow, then surely it's his title to lose, following Nadal's defeat today.
    However, the hard courts are Cilic's preferred court, and he did win a US Open on the hard court, so I expect Edmund's run will end in the semis.
    In the other match, well it's good to see an American finally reaching a quarter-final in a Slam after an absence. If you told me growing up that an American would not win a Slam in over 10 years, I'd say you're nuts. And perhaps tennis was really this guy's destiny, he's aptly named Tennys! That said, I won't be rooting for him, rather the young Korean upstart Hyun Cheong. It's a great to see an Asian reaching the latter stages of a Slam again, and if it wasn't for Federer, I'd be willing him to be the champion.

Anyway well done to Edmund. He'll rise up to the top 25 or so players with this win, and if he beats Cilic, will overtake Murray as the UK's top player. Which be very nice indeed, I've never taken to Murray. Can't believe he even got a knighthood!

He was in the 2015 Davis Cup winning squad.

I'm rather dismissive of Murray's major wins. I'll give him credit for his first at the 2012 US Open where he beat Djokovic in 5 sets. He played exceptionally all year and merited his maiden Slam. But as for the other 2, both cases at Wimbledon, I think he just got a wee bit lucky, with both Federer and Nadal having injury problems and Djokovic being distracted.
    Besides these 3, I won't even make him best of the rest. That would go to Stan Wawrinka, who after a lucky maiden win at the AO (with Nadal injured in the Final), went on to win 2 more Slams the hard way - the French and US Opens.
    For sure Murray is better than all the others, with maybe Cilic the only 1 near enough to his standard, but he's way behind Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. He's a choker and always appears like a girl about to cry when he loses.
    And his sudden pro-Scottish arrogance following his wins, doesn't endear him to me and I suspect a lot of Englishmen.
    Tin Henman was never as good as him, but he carried himself well.
    Murray's just lucky when the time came, his peak coincided with a slide by the big 3 through injuries. Had he been born a bit earlier, ie; Henman's period, I don't think he'd even win a single Slam.

Fear not Romanis I am not a tennis fan as I find it interminably boring, but please carry on your anti Murray theme which was the subtext of my original post.

Its fine if you go to Wimbledon, say, but dont buy anything there. The atmosphere is generally pleasant as long as you avoid the partisanship of Henman Hill. But on TV - nope, give me drying paint every time.

..... or are the others now lucky because, after a year of being below par due to a hip injury, he is now out till at least the summer following an operation on said hip?

Federer had an injury. So what? Players get them all the time.

Nadal may win the odd tournament from here on in but his knee troubles are caused by his own inadequcies. Not, positionally, the best by a long chalk. He more than made up for that with incredible energy, stamina and speed acroos the court resulting in hard stops and turns at top speed which is fatal for your knees. He is now paying the price.

Djokovic distracted? He certainly doesn't begrudge Murray his titles. Why should you Rom?

Quite right you live in a very biased world Romanis to say someone doesn't deserve the respect of winning because someone else is injured doesn't make any sense

Just realised that our semi finalist is south african born.... 🙃

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Just realised that our semi finalist is south african born.... ��
    Not sure that's relevant, and if it is he moved here at 4 which makes him twice as British as Mo Farah

Not heard much about Rod Laver lately. Is he still playing at his peak?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)