+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who in our squad is genuine promotion quality

Who in our squad is genuine promotion quality

A lot has been made recently about whether TC is the right man for the job, personally I think he is and he has a style of football that with the right players will do very well for us. I think the problem is we have a squad that isn't promotion quality. If you lose your 30 goal a season striker, best centre back/captain, experienced goalkeeper (who had a terrific season) and the best left back in the league it is a miracle if you then go up the next season. So who do we actually have in a starting 11 and bench that would genuinely make people think this team is promotion capable? Currently in our squad I think we only have the following covered:

Gk-
    Lb- De Bock (Early days but I fancy him to do very well)
    Cb- Jansson
    Cb-
    Rb- Ayling
    Cm- Vieira
    Cm-
    Rm- Hernandez
    Cam- Saiz
    Lm-
    St-

If you chuck Bartley, Wood, Green and Taylor into that team with Alioski and even O'Kane/Phillips I genuinely think we'd be top 2, but sadly we don't and have to make do with what we currently have.

Then we have this as back up (if we are looking at a promotion capable squad):

Gk- Wiedwald (though recent performances are convincing me a bit more he is beginning to get to grips with the league)
    Lb- Berardi
    Cb- Pennington (Really like this lad, would love us to sign him permanently as I think he gets better every game)
    Cb-
    Rb-
    Cm- Phillips
    Cm- Forshaw/O'Kane
    Lm- Alioski/Dallas
    Cam-
    Rm- Roofe
    ST- Ekuban/Lassoga/Roofe

I think we have the makings of a good team, but genuinely lack that quality in the first 11 especially when Saiz is out. I'd be amazed if we are in the playoffs this year given the players we have and if TC keeps us in the hunt I think with the players at his disposal he'll have done a terrific job.

Think we've got some deadwood, fortunately it is a LOT less than in recent years but we certainly need to shift Klich, Anita, Sacko and Cibicki. Willing to give Grot the benefit of doubt for now given his age, but nothing I've seen is telling me he'll be anything other than a U23 player till his eventual release at end of contract.

Also think Cooper is surplus to requirements and amazes me how he is club captain, never seen him pull us out of the mud when we are being beaten.

Hernández.

Beradi, Roofe and Viera

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    A lot has been made recently about whether TC is the right man for the job, personally I think he is and he has a style of football that with the right players will do very well for us. I think the problem is we have a squad that isn't promotion quality. If you lose your 30 goal a season striker, best centre back/captain, experienced goalkeeper (who had a terrific season) and the best left back in the league it is a miracle if you then go up the next season. So who do we actually have in a starting 11 and bench that would genuinely make people think this team is promotion capable? Currently in our squad I think we only have the following covered:

Gk-
    Lb- De Bock (Early days but I fancy him to do very well)
    Cb- Jansson
    Cb- Pennington -Added
    Rb- Ayling
    Cm- Vieira
    Cm- Forshaw - added
    Rm-
    Cam- Saiz/Hernandez (moved)
    Lm-
    St-
    Have been saying similar things over recent weeks about not replacing the quality that left in the summer. I put Pennington and Forshaw into your first batch of promotion hopefuls. I think Pennington has something and I hope Forshaw does add another dimension to midfield.

Personally I see Saiz/Hernandez as being more effective in the number 10 role if playing one striker. Not saying we can't play both in the same team if the balance is right, however at the moment I dont think it is, maybe Forshaw will anchor that midfield to allow those flair players to really rip teams apart.

I think any of the recent signings, especially those under 23 need a good season with the club before they can be assessed. Its a complete lifestyle/culture change for players like Grot so they really have a lot on their plate in their first season away from home.

Losing Bartley and Green really hurt. we were so solid defensively. Think everything else might have been overcome.

Injuries to Dallas and our propensity for red cards sure didn't help either. I think Roofe could have been really good up front with that mid and backs.

I think TC is learning on the job and will be a very good one down the road. Last I checked the big time coaches weren't standing in line to coach us so we need to give him time. Most of the great coaches in the EFL had rocky beginnings or billion dollar budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Losing Bartley and Green really hurt. we were so solid defensively. Think everything else might have been overcome.

Injuries to Dallas and our propensity for red cards sure didn't help either. I think Roofe could have been really good up front with that mid and backs.

I think TC is learning on the job and will be a very good one down the road. Last I checked the big time coaches weren't standing in line to coach us so we need to give him time. Most of the great coaches in the EFL had rocky beginnings or billion dollar budgets.
    think we tend to underestimate our players sometimes - Howson did well in the prem as did Snodgrass and Wood is doing okay. Look at Leicester too a fair number of players from the promotion team were in the title winning squad.

think key is having players who can play in natural positions.

FW
    LDB
    PJ
    ?
    GB

RV
    AF

PC
    SS
    SD/PH

KR

that is a decent side if given time and if the ? can be filled.

now we have LDB at LB Beradi can play in his natural position rather than having to accommodate the fact that he is not naturally left footed which helps with balance and means we can attack better down both wings from the back.

id say our best 18 currently is ( minus ayling and ekuban as theyre out till the summer )

wiedwald berardi debock jansson pennington forshaw okane hernandez alioski saiz roofe lonergan shaughnessy vieira phillips dallas cibicki lasogga

farrell gomes and grot aren't ready yet despite them having squad numbers, ive put shaughnessy in there for his size gives us something to back up our defence and maybe defensive midfield too, cibicki has a decent cross on him and he has played upfront before too, I'm presuming that Forshaw will be the real deal so ive put him in with okane, its close between roofe and lasogga as both on their day can score goals, it just aint consistent enough, I don't rate cooper, hes having a better season this time but is he good enough?, I'm not sure, klich has gone out on loan, I don't see anita being used much, or sacko, at least sacko has pace, anita has just not been used hardly

think ive covered all the squad

Actually, theres probably 5/6 who could cut it in the Prem. But maybe there lies the problem, its only half a team.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Beradi, Roofe and Viera
    Are promotion quality or not promotion quality?

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post

Really don't think Roofe is good enough to be a leading striker if you want promotion. He turns up once a blue moon for us and rest of time he is average or not in the game at all. His goal stats are quite shocking really when you taken into consideration 6 of his goals were scored in 2 games and the amount of game time he has had, never does it against the better sides and always against lesser opposition. I like Roofe, but if we genuinely want promotion he isn't the man to get us 25+ goals in a season

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)