+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Will Phil Neville survive as manager of England women?

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    I read this in the Guardian this morning, I thought I would share it

In 2018, almost anything apparently is subject to the scrutiny of one marginalised eye or another. Being outraged allows you to take the moral high ground. It reaffirms your righteousness. It lets you say: “I am offended and therefore I am principled.” It lets you jump on the bandwagon and pledge allegiance to the latest campaign on your timeline. It gives you a vehicle to add your name to the narrative. It proves that you are following current affairs, albeit from the comfortable vantage point of your Instagram feed. It allows you to place yourself on the virtuous side of the conversation. It says: “I am woke.”

And for that reason, outrage has become currency.

Outrage was once reserved for the truly unjust. It was for civil rights activists and suffragettes. It has fought against police brutality, institutional racism, unequal pay, segregation and voting rights. Outrage gave a voice to the voiceless and forced society to take a long hard look in the mirror.

My comment.....now we are outraged that a rich, drunk toff decides to be overly flirtatious towards a scantily clad waitress....oh how the times have changed.
    The unambitious look for a flock to join to create strength and courage to speak. The ambitious will always lead the flock and have the courage to voice their own opinions.

Just a quick question Sidney......was there any crime committed by the toffs as they quaffed their champers?.....were the police called?....charges pending?....surely, with all the fuss that this female reporter has started, there must be something?

So basically this is a story about rich guys acting like fools whilst splurging their cash.....mmmmmm
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    You'll have to son ..... you've no choice - you're done, whereas I'm still active making a few quid on the side.
    I suppose I'm done in the sense that I don't need to be active making a few quid on the side.

I've earned the right to do exactly as I please.

"Hi Dad, I would like you to meet the father of my new baby"

"How did you two meet then?"

"Well Dad, me and my mates bunked off school and hung around a kebab shop, a bunch of taxi drivers drove up and without a word offered us fags and booze and took us to a party. It was dead romantic"

"Well Love, I was hoping you could have snared one of those rich guys from that Annual party in London, but it was banned a few years back after some rich nob touched a girls arse. Shame really, never mind.....any chance of a free taxi ride?"

I absolutely 100% guarantee that if this was a roomful of Muslims treating white girls this way you’d be the first one to get on your high hoss and say how unacceptable it was.

But hey, it was a few old lads just like yourself, no harm meant, just another thing for the PC crowd to get outraged about.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Easy my friend ........ having retired long ago, it's fun to sit here and have a go with the "Never will be's" of this world. It's my perverse way of finding out how the other half thinks. You're quite correct ..... football followers are probably the most diverse set of people to follow sport, so add that to an equally diverse background, political views, poor and wealthy and you have the perfect base to make communication. Talking about spending time on this board and knowing EP has retired and Sidney works from home, there seems an awful other lot of other 'regulars' who spend their time on here during the day. Probably all shift workers perchance ...... surely non are 'Giro Jims' having a wail about the evil employers of this world?
    You're so successful you spend your days on a message board as part as some kind of social experiment, satisfying a perverse need to infiltrate a group of low quality people and see how they operate.

Good to know.

NUUUUUURSE!!!!

I read this in the Guardian this morning, I thought I would share it

In 2018, almost anything apparently is subject to the scrutiny of one marginalised eye or another. Being outraged allows you to take the moral high ground. It reaffirms your righteousness. It lets you say: “I am offended and therefore I am principled.” It lets you jump on the bandwagon and pledge allegiance to the latest campaign on your timeline. It gives you a vehicle to add your name to the narrative. It proves that you are following current affairs, albeit from the comfortable vantage point of your Instagram feed. It allows you to place yourself on the virtuous side of the conversation. It says: “I am woke.”

And for that reason, outrage has become currency.

Outrage was once reserved for the truly unjust. It was for civil rights activists and suffragettes. It has fought against police brutality, institutional racism, unequal pay, segregation and voting rights. Outrage gave a voice to the voiceless and forced society to take a long hard look in the mirror.

My comment.....now we are outraged that a rich, drunk toff decides to be overly flirtatious towards a scantily clad waitress....oh how the times have changed.
    Oh you are a piece of work, aren't you, Beechy? Tracked this down in the Grauniad. It is an opinion piece and in no way represents the paper's own POV.
    However, wrenched out of context by you, it means something quite different from what the writer intended, which is below:-

There is still much to be outraged about in our post-modernist society; hate crimes against the LGBT community are increasing, the sale of slaves in Libya has persisted without intervention, the gender pay gap is so large that the ethnicity pay gap has been told to wait its turn, ***ual predators are the kings of Hollywood, black men in the US are given sentences that are 19% longer than their white counterparts when convicted of the same crime and it is still illegal to be gay in more than 70 countries.

What she goes on to say is that the furore over the H and M ad is totally misplaced in the order of things to be upset about. All of the above (which includes old rich men controlling young women at men-only parties) DESERVE expressions of outrage.

Just a quick question Sidney......was there any crime committed by the toffs as they quaffed their champers?.....were the police called?....charges pending?....surely, with all the fuss that this female reporter has started, there must be something?

So basically this is a story about rich guys acting like fools whilst splurging their cash.....mmmmmm
    They're only 'acting like fools' because they've been found out. No, Beechy, you are right - it's not a crime story. It's a story about the institutional ***ism that dwells in men-only organisations. All too common among saddos in my own age group, (that's 60 - 80 years)

There's no such thing as a gender pay gap Sid.

Serious in answer to your question I find those postcards saucy fun, I could even see why you'd like benny hill cause of the fact generations usually prefer the comedy of their time. I personally think it's pervy but that's cause I'm from a different era. How can you compare a drawing or a comedy show with actresses complicit in the sketch to touching women in their private parts without their consent. I just can't get my head around the fact you think it's ok to go to a function and do that. Whether it's blown out of proportion or not doesn't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I absolutely 100% guarantee that if this was a roomful of Muslims treating white girls this way you’d be the first one to get on your high hoss and say how unacceptable it was.

But hey, it was a few old lads just like yourself, no harm meant, just another thing for the PC crowd to get outraged about.
    They do it here anyway - under age and not so far from you.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast