+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Promotion season on the cards

Promotion season on the cards

Whereas last time we went up, with a much older squad that was on its way down, this current squad is exactly the opposite.PW has brought together a youthful set of players who are improving every match.I see a lot of similarities with the Blades of last season, who after a bad start, really shot up that division.What's more this season, they are more than holding their own in the championship,something we could not do last time, because of "too many past their sell by dates" on the books,who could not compete.It will be so different this next time as there is some real young talent that is beginning to blossom and it is great to watch.Well done Warney and this latest signing, Matt Palmer looks a class act.We are now in a position to attract that better player to the club.

Well said mate though you forgot to mention all the loans we had in first team it was like a skeleton crew.

Loans like grant ward and Izzy Brown were not as effective due to our main squads age. Makes me wonder if we had a younger talented squad would we be still bottom. Personally I think with a full squad of players like vaulks and a Paul Warne pre season we could have gone much higher.

Here’s to the future

Here’s to the millers

I consider that going up with a more settled side with a limited number of player movements in and out helps - you already have some familiarity and team spirit. Before, we had an almost completed squad rebuild each summer, and sooner or later that was going to backfire - you need to start well in the Championship if you are one of the smaller, unfenced sides. Developing a youthful core is something I feel relieved to see - it will take time though, so patience is needed (myself included in that!)

Not quite strong enough to go up and stay there, but we are putting some promising foundations in place - well done Mr Warne/Mr RUFC
    Last edited by sawmiller; 27-01-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    Whereas last time we went up, with a much older squad that was on its way down, this current squad is exactly the opposite.PW has brought together a youthful set of players who are improving every match.I see a lot of similarities with the Blades of last season, who after a bad start, really shot up that division.What's more this season, they are more than holding their own in the championship,something we could not do last time, because of "too many past their sell by dates" on the books,who could not compete.It will be so different this next time as there is some real young talent that is beginning to blossom and it is great to watch.Well done Warney and this latest signing, Matt Palmer looks a class act.We are now in a position to attract that better player to the club.
    Great post Bill, really well said mate.

You won’t get too many replies because the post is too positive for lots of folk.

Go for it, Tony !

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    Great post Bill, really well said mate.

You won’t get too many replies because the post is too positive for lots of folk.
    What are you talking about Riley,we are top of the league when it comes to being positive on MM.

I don't know Rev he's picked a good topic and when we sign the striker there should be more reason for optimism.

I said all along that I thought that we'd make the play-offs this season but I hoped we didn't go up for a few reasons and I still don't think we are.

One thing I am constantly underestimating is the deapth we already have in the squad. Iread that if one of the better players is out that we're going to suffer. To be honest without Frex and potter I think we struggled and we had a bad run but Vaulks and Towell stepped up and did brilliantly. Every time we've lost a player through suspention or injury theirreplacement does the business.

This I think is down to the coaches and management. They have instilled a work ethic like we've not seen before and it is much better than the Steve Evans era. There doesn't seem to be a player not committed or mardy arsing like before and one of those during the SE tenure was Warne. He was cnsidered as a fitness coach and that was all but now we see that he is more than that and not just a manager either.

This togetherness is better than the Evans era.

Paul Warne has had to rebuild the team and in a short space of time.

I’m not sure this season will be the year but he’s going about it in a very positive and dare I say it a structured way with the signings.
    I’m happy to say it again I got it wrong about Warney and was probably harsh in him with some comments I made.

The age of the team is getting better and so is the quality.
    Also think the chairman should take some credit for sticking with Warney.
    He was under a lot of pressure to get rid and stuck to his guns.

Onwards and upwards.

UTM

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    Paul Warne has had to rebuild the team and in a short space of time.

I’m not sure this season will be the year but he’s going about it in a very positive and dare I say it a structured way with the signings.
    I’m happy to say it again I got it wrong about Warney and was probably harsh in him with some comments I made.

The age of the team is getting better and so is the quality.
    Also think the chairman should take some credit for sticking with Warney.
    He was under a lot of pressure to get rid and stuck to his guns.

Onwards and upwards.

UTM
    Guess it just shows you don’t have to have a manager with tons of experience you just need one dedicated enough to the club and management who are on same page.

I think we are starting to head in the right direction but I’m not sure this team could be considered as good as the Playoff Final winning team. Yes that had a few loanees and a few older players but there was more quality in terms of Arne, Morgan, Tavs and Agard. All players that have since slipped down but back then were a real force.

Of the current team, there is some real prospects Ball, Ajayi, Vaulks but the two who I think will go on to much better things are sadly only in on loan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast