+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Artell Out

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Directors of a company are not obliged to put their hands in their pockets. It is not down to them to fund the club. The club should be self financing.
    You are so right, But this club will never be in that position while revenues generated do not go to the football club but companies set up by are favourite shareholder.

Quote Originally Posted by As it is View Post
    .....But this club will never be in that position while revenues generated do not go to the football club but companies set up by are favourite shareholder.

You are so right as well.
    This is the issue that needs resolving above all else.

I wonder if DA could get his old job back as the what was it the Academy Manager? And allow KL to take over but then he too hasn't had any managerial experience and he is DA's sidekick and so should he share in any blame that is due? It's obvious Dave is suffering with the rest of the fans and have to feel for him but we also don't want him to crucify himself the whole time and we may not like this BUT....

Maybe and I said maybe, the truth is that some of our players are really not good enough for professional football and haven't been for sometime? I mean for the whole match without making ghastly mistakes which is the difference between success and failure? I suspect that it was always tough to expect young lads to come straight into the academy. I did hear the Vale Manager say on RS that it was easier for players to come in from Non League to L2 than coming from under 23 sides which I am assuming he meant academy players from other clubs being they don't have one now? ie loan players? It's so odd that we can be world beaters for 30 mins and then??????????

Of course that last paragraph is too hard to swallow for a board with the ethos on youth development and so not likely to change unless we are relegated and maybe not even then?

I hope DA can be found another role in the club as I don't think the board will want to sack him and indeed they may not and just allow him to continue as manager for at least three years, come what may??? It never made much sense to me to be spending such a large proportion of your income on what is a kids football academy at the expense of the whole reason we have been in existence for over 100 years...ie the FIRST team! No other club has ever done that to my knowledge even though it has been a success for a time...

The EEEP scheme could well be the nail in our coffin?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    .... allow KL to take over but then he too hasn't had any managerial experience and he is DA's sidekick and so should he share in any blame that is due?

Not such a daft idea.
    Remember, Steve Davis was DG's assistant when we were last failing this badly in 2011.

It never made much sense to me to be spending such a large proportion of your income on what is a kids football academy at the expense of the whole reason we have been in existence for over 100 years...ie the FIRST team! No other club has ever done that to my knowledge even though it has been a success for a time...

Some may say you are being boring, repeating the same thing over Academy vs First Team ad nauseum.
    Well, may I join you in being boring and offer the often quoted alternative view and say that's what made this club unique - and I would suggest for 30 years it worked. It just may need a little tweaking now to get us back on track.
    Remember, it does still generate us revenue, just not as much as it did so maybe we should slide the scale a little to re-balance. We should never ditch it otherwise we may as well support Stockport County!!!

Maybe and I said maybe, the truth is that some of our players are really not good enough for professional football and haven't been for sometime? I mean for the whole match without making ghastly mistakes which is the difference between success and failure? I suspect that it was always tough to expect young lads to come straight into the academy. I did hear the Vale Manager say on RS that it was easier for players to come in from Non League to L2 than coming from under 23 sides which I am assuming he meant academy players from other clubs being they don't have one now? ie loan players? It's so odd that we can be world beaters for 30 mins and then??????????

Of course that last paragraph is too hard to swallow for a board with the ethos on youth development and so not likely to change unless we are relegated and maybe not even then?
    Mike. I will keep saying this as long as you keep saying our Academy players are not good enough. It is the Academy players who have looked good. It is the experienced players who are not reaching the required levels. Raynes, Dagnall, Porter to some extent although prior to his injury he had been shaping better, Bakayogo and to a lesser extent Nolan who really is a Jack of all.
    Ainley, Cooper, Ng, Kirk, Reilly and the odd glimpses of Dale have all shown that our "home grown" players are plenty good enough. I know it is tough for you to accept and acknowledge this because after all it flies in the face of your desire to downgrade our Academy. Big, big mistake.

We will be. Stockport soon wake up get rid of the geriatric board get rid rid of the crap coach’s hangers on we played the Crewe way. My team is in danger of disappearing get rid of the lot

Angers
    Last edited by Preston76; 28-01-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Mike. I will keep saying this as long as you keep saying our Academy players are not good enough. It is the Academy players who have looked good. It is the experienced players who are not reaching the required levels. Raynes, Dagnall, Porter to some extent although prior to his injury he had been shaping better, Bakayogo and to a lesser extent Nolan who really is a Jack of all.
    Ainley, Cooper, Ng, Kirk, Reilly and the odd glimpses of Dale have all shown that our "home grown" players are plenty good enough. I know it is tough for you to accept and acknowledge this because after all it flies in the face of your desire to downgrade our Academy. Big, big mistake.
    I don't doubt your belief and sincerity Timmy and you and others see these players the whole time and so in a better position to judge. Its not tough for me to accept that I may be wrong with the level of academy IF the evidence is there but the evidence of all academies is that few are good enough to make the grade and why we did do well but as I keep saying its not the level of academy or the coaching that is relevant because if it was more PL Cat1 academies would be more successful, its that its MY belief that a Cat3 academy would make no difference and would save a lot of money because each academy no matter what the level generally can only attract the local kids and if they are not that great then no matter how much coaching at whatever level makes much difference....It's my opinion backed up by real evidence Timmy..

I've never advocated getting rid of the academy and Dario managed to develop pretty good players way before they were even though of...

Of course any seasoned Pro we get will only be what we can afford to pay them and if we can reduce the academy costs we may be able to pay for better quality ones coming in?

Of course any seasoned Pro we get will only be what we can afford to pay them and if we can reduce the academy costs we may be able to pay for better quality ones coming in?
    I may be wrong, but I suspect that rather than the first team propping up the Academy, it is the other way round. I think down grading the Academy would yield no more money for the first team and journeymen pros looking for a pay day would not sustain League football at Crewe. As I say, I may be wrong. But I doubt it!

Over this season I have seen one constant: lack of coherency that has led to our usual appalling consistency. The players have been roundly blamed, as have the directors, and this thread questions the abilities of the manager. Steve Davis rescued the playing record almost immediately and then went on to Wembley success, twice within 12 months; he then was unable to take a new set of players and meld them into a winning team. Dave Artell seems to have the same problem: the squad needs to believe in itself and each other, and that’s the manager’s job. Lunt and the coaching staff can sort out skill and football improvement; the manager has one single job – to create a winning mentality.
    I always said that, no matter what, I will support the manager of the Alex until he is no longer the manager and then I will support the manager of the Alex.
    We have a club structure that still produces good footballers who go on to decent careers at a higher level. As said earlier (Somerset?) it needs to develop, but the basic system is what works for us. We don’t have sugar-daddy owners or directors; we have, in the main, individuals who have given a lot and expect little or nothing in return.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester View Post
    Over this season I have seen one constant: lack of coherency that has led to our usual appalling consistency. The players have been roundly blamed, as have the directors, and this thread questions the abilities of the manager. Steve Davis rescued the playing record almost immediately and then went on to Wembley success, twice within 12 months; he then was unable to take a new set of players and meld them into a winning team. Dave Artell seems to have the same problem: the squad needs to believe in itself and each other, and that’s the manager’s job. Lunt and the coaching staff can sort out skill and football improvement; the manager has one single job – to create a winning mentality.
    I always said that, no matter what, I will support the manager of the Alex until he is no longer the manager and then I will support the manager of the Alex.
    We have a club structure that still produces good footballers who go on to decent careers at a higher level. As said earlier (Somerset?) it needs to develop, but the basic system is what works for us. We don’t have sugar-daddy owners or directors; we have, in the main, individuals who have given a lot and expect little or nothing in return.
    OK, if you say so AL...

Isn't the word 'had' a decent structure where players went on to a higher level? Is L1 a higher level? Yes, I suppose so..Most clubs have a decent structure..Most Clubs have Directors who DO put in far more money than ours have ever done and get little or nothing in return.

I admire your loyalty which would have impressed the Captain of the Titanic and the White Star Line.....

BTW, I don't know whether anyone noticed but the gate last Saturday at Tranmere was over 8000...which almost equates to our great times in the Championship....But not as good as they used to be despite our lowly league positions.....Now 20,000 in Gresty Road takes some beating hey? Where have they all gone?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 29-01-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast