+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Artell Out

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    OK, if you say so AL...

Most Clubs have Directors who DO put in far more money than ours have ever done and get little or nothing in return.
    It is not the duty of Chairmen, or Directors to put money into the club. It is their duty to run the club on a sound business footing. I guess it is a matter of opinion as to whether our board of directors run our club on that basis. One might say they do as we are still in business!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    It is not the duty of Chairmen, or Directors to put money into the club. It is their duty to run the club on a sound business footing. I guess it is a matter of opinion as to whether our board of directors run our club on that basis. One might say they do as we are still in business!
    You've made that statement before and so who's duty is it to ensure the club gets enough money to be able to operate? Lots of clubs have lower gates than us and seemingly pay better wages for their players and so how do they do that? Loans from the bank? Yes, but who guarantees those loans? One director allegedly took money OUT of the club and allegedly never paid it all back and so how does that work then?

I believe our Directors did loan the club some money a few years back and were repaid from later transfer fees and so they must think its their duty?

Isn't it time the Chairman made a statement or gave an interview on RS like others do? It wouldn't go amiss even if it was just to reassure the fans they know what they are doing?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 29-01-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Mike, a loan is different from putting money in an expecting no return. And there is a world of difference between making sure the club has enough money to survive and putting their own money in. I suspect our board budget for what we spend on wages etc rather than borrowing money to do it, but of course I don't know.

You've made that statement before and so who's duty is it to ensure the club gets enough money to be able to operate? Lots of clubs have lower gates than us and seemingly pay better wages for their players and so how do they do that? Loans from the bank? Yes, but who guarantees those loans? One director allegedly took money OUT of the club and allegedly never paid it all back and so how does that work then?

I believe our Directors did loan the club some money a few years back and were repaid from later transfer fees and so they must think its their duty?

Isn't it time the Chairman made a statement or gave an interview on RS like others do? It wouldn't go amiss even if it was just to reassure the fans they know what they are doing?
    The silence from the board is deafening, like you say MikeSB some kind of reassurance would be nice. Supporters evening anyone, may be not?

With the Artell out argument I'm on the fence. On the one hand we are playing well and have been hamstrung with injuries to key players all season. It's not like when SD left and you could see that all the way through the club we were desperate to get rid of him. Also you can honestly say that Lowery, Ainley, Kirk, Pickering and Wintle are developing well.

The issue for me is our transfer policy has again been poor. Nolan, Walker, Raynes, Grant and Stubbs have all not performed. The only decent signing we've made has been Porter who seems to dip in and out of form.

The defence has been awful all season. Raynes is great at defending higher up the pitch but is terrible in our box. So many of our goals conceded come from players with way too much room in our box. Walker is a midfielder, no wonder he's not doing well as a centre back. Nolan is just about coping but thats the best you can say about him. We need fresh blood at the back and more than just Ray coming back in.

I find it particularly galling that both our current and previous Managers were defensive warriors but have offered up powder-puff defences with the backbone of a small rodent. That's been run over.

I like Dave - he's got the passion and enthusiasm I want in a Crewe Manager - but his game management is 'developing' shall we say. I also question signing Miller on loan (when we have Bowery, McKirdy and Reilly to see us through) - that money should have been spent on bringing in a commanding goalkeeper. I'm not saying Ben's solely responsible, but he doesn't command his area which puts pressure on the defence to win crucial headers in the 6 yard box. They want a 'keeper to come and punch or pluck them out.

I think we've got enough to survive.....just......but changes are needed in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Crew View Post
    I find it particularly galling that both our current and previous Managers were defensive warriors but have offered up powder-puff defences with the backbone of a small rodent. That's been run over.

I like Dave - he's got the passion and enthusiasm I want in a Crewe Manager - but his game management is 'developing' shall we say. I also question signing Miller on loan (when we have Bowery, McKirdy and Reilly to see us through) - that money should have been spent on bringing in a commanding goalkeeper. I'm not saying Ben's solely responsible, but he doesn't command his area which puts pressure on the defence to win crucial headers in the 6 yard box. They want a 'keeper to come and punch or pluck them out.

I think we've got enough to survive.....just......but changes are needed in the summer.
    Andy who always rings on RS P&G keeps making the same point that its our defence over the last few years which has been letting us down and so the question is why? We bring in some defensive players and we have our own and so is it as simple as saying there were/are too many academy players and expecting too much from them? I feel sorry for the team at the moment as they plus the management and probably the board are feeling the same way but that is at least one good reason why the Chairman comes out to rally the troops and give some direction....Silence is indeed deafening and its not good and as though they too are expecting the worst?

BTW, the GK selection situation seems strange to say the least? Their confidence must be shot too?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 29-01-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thnhouse View Post
    With the Artell out argument I'm on the fence. On the one hand we are playing well and have been hamstrung with injuries to key players all season. It's not like when SD left and you could see that all the way through the club we were desperate to get rid of him. Also you can honestly say that Lowery, Ainley, Kirk, Pickering and Wintle are developing well.

The issue for me is our transfer policy has again been poor. Nolan, Walker, Raynes, Grant and Stubbs have all not performed. The only decent signing we've made has been Porter who seems to dip in and out of form.

The defence has been awful all season. Raynes is great at defending higher up the pitch but is terrible in our box. So many of our goals conceded come from players with way too much room in our box. Walker is a midfielder, no wonder he's not doing well as a centre back. Nolan is just about coping but thats the best you can say about him. We need fresh blood at the back and more than just Ray coming back in.
    Couldn't agree more. The academy lads are holding the team together at the moment and yet again, it is the signings who, mostly have not stepped up to the plate.

Andy who always rings on RS P&G keeps making the same point that its our defence over the last few years which has been letting us down and so the question is why? We bring in some defensive players and we have our own and so is it as simple as saying there were/are too many academy players and expecting too much from them? I feel sorry for the team at the moment as they plus the management and probably the board are feeling the same way but that is at least one good reason why the Chairman comes out to rally the troops and give some direction....Silence is indeed deafening and its not good and as though they too are expecting the worst?

BTW, the GK selection situation seems strange to say the least? Their confidence must be shot too?
    That makes no sense. Our back 4 is entirely made up of non academy graduates, and neither is our more defensive midfield player. We have 2 academy graduates in our defensive squad, 1 is sorely missed(Ray), 1 has been inconsistent but not terrible.

Completely agree about the keepers situation though. Interesting to note there are only 3 1st choice goalkeepers in League 2 shorter than Ben, and none shorter than Dave. I really do feel there needs to be a change there. Time to accept that Garratt has not progressed as well as hoped.

Ive heard it all now - slag Michael Raynes off in public and then desperatly hope he's fit for Saturday. Man management at its finest.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast