+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Artell Out

How many loanees can we have????

...and when Ray and Perry come back, who's going to play where?

Football fans these days are fickle, every club will have its diehard fans who turn up no matter how poor their team are playing , I think we have around 3000 of these. The days of full grounds in the lower leagues have long gone. The fickle fans only follow the first team and it is down to how they do if the fans part with their money. There are so many other options for the fickle fans to spend their money on in todays world.
    On the academy I feel if you work out the cost of a youth player starting at the academy for a period of 10 years and then getting into the first team for a year or so and then been sold to a L1 team ( that must be our bottom line target for sales ) The money received would only cover the cost of his coaching over this period along with the cost of all the other academy players in the same age range . So as far as I can see we are just breaking even . So the wheel turns but there is no obvious profit not like we had 10-15 years ago . So in my view we need a radical restructure of the club and produce a plan for the next 10 years or so . Since our hay days football has moved on so much and we have been left standing still.
    If the dreaded relegation happens have the board discussed what happens to the academy staff because there will have to be redundancies etc and the law states notice has to be given to employees ( I think 90 day comes to mind ) We would not be able to continue as we are now and I doubt the football league would allow it in none league football and we would not have the grants we receive to run it as we do now . The board have a lot to think of or are they burying their heads in the sand and thinking it will all go away

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    Football fans these days are fickle, every club will have its diehard fans who turn up no matter how poor their team are playing , I think we have around 3000 of these. The days of full grounds in the lower leagues have long gone. The fickle fans only follow the first team and it is down to how they do if the fans part with their money. There are so many other options for the fickle fans to spend their money on in todays world.
    On the academy I feel if you work out the cost of a youth player starting at the academy for a period of 10 years and then getting into the first team for a year or so and then been sold to a L1 team ( that must be our bottom line target for sales ) The money received would only cover the cost of his coaching over this period along with the cost of all the other academy players in the same age range . So as far as I can see we are just breaking even . So the wheel turns but there is no obvious profit not like we had 10-15 years ago . So in my view we need a radical restructure of the club and produce a plan for the next 10 years or so . Since our hay days football has moved on so much and we have been left standing still.
    If the dreaded relegation happens have the board discussed what happens to the academy staff because there will have to be redundancies etc and the law states notice has to be given to employees ( I think 90 day comes to mind ) We would not be able to continue as we are now and I doubt the football league would allow it in none league football and we would not have the grants we receive to run it as we do now . The board have a lot to think of or are they burying their heads in the sand and thinking it will all go away
    I believe that if we do drop out of the league we are allowed one seasons grace, still receiving all the subsidy, after that if we didn't return we would automatically lose the cat.2 status.

Technically, the club could just say now that there is a possibility of releasing players should we be relegated. That would be sufficient as notice so no great pressure on the board.

However, here's a forecast.... we are not going to be relegated! You watch, towards the end of Feb the old Alex magic will spark and we'll steadily move up the table. Not suggesting we'll be anywhere near play-offs tho'!

I now cannot see us being relegated this time around. Artell has done some shrewd business this January and with the five new faces on board and those we have already (the ones who can be relied on, that is), we should steer clear of danger. With injuries clearing up, I see young Wintle and the forgotten man, George Ray (before Artell took over), really being important cogs in our survival regime. Together with play-maker, Ainley, who will now set the league alight, in the coming months. So now it is not Artell "out", but let us get behind the manager and the players in supporting the team. I hope that if the result against high flying Notts. County does go against us, then fans will not immediately jump on Artell's back, but give him and the team time to gel and get things right. We will be alright come the end of the season.
    Last edited by alexmick; 01-02-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick View Post
    I now cannot see us being relegated this time around. Artell has done some shrewd business this January and with the five new faces on board and those we have already (the ones who can be relied on, that is), we should steer clear of danger. With injuries clearing up, I see young Wintle and the forgotten man, George Ray (before Artell took over), really being important cogs in our survival regime. Together with play-maker, Ainley, who will now set the league alight, in the coming months. So now it is not Artell "out", but let us get behind the manager and the players in supporting the team. I hope that if the result against high flying Notts. County does go against us, then fans will not immediately jump on Artell's back, but give him and the team time to gel and get things right. We will be alright come the end of the season.
    I agree. Can't see us being relegated...this season. Also agree that we should get behind the team. Was never an issue for me, have always supported through thick and thin, and been loyal to CAFC no matter what.
    However, I do fear for next season. Our better players will leave, goals will continue to be conceded, no matter who we recruit , DA will continue to be tactically naive, we will always need a 2 goal cushion with 5 mins to play.
    Any relegated teams supporters alway think....we have been unlucky to be relegated. One division down, we will walk this, promotion a certainty.....I say, think again.

The thing is how is Ainley going to take not getting probably 5 grand a week more as he would have had the transfer gone through and he won't be pleased that he didn't get a veto on that decision and possibly make him more determined not to sign an extension now because for him, the transfer fee amount is immaterial to him. It shouldn't affect his game but he will be conscious of not getting an injury in the meantime like Jones has and so time will tell.

However, each week will see his transfer value go down and down to one where a tribunal will have to decide and if you look at the EEEP rules and the number of league appearances, it won't be great....

His agent will have told him what is best for him and not the club....I can't see him signing one and it will be a surprise if he does and so this sort of thing has to be sorted out at board level but unfortunately there is not much they can do other than look at the long term financing and Cat level of the academy as we know they need £760K every year just to break even! I'm not sure if the board has to pay tax on that or on transfer fees and so who knows what the plan is....

Bowler should at least come out and tell the fans as what has he got to lose? Only more fans!
    Last edited by MikeSB; 01-02-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    I agree. Can't see us being relegated...this season. Also agree that we should get behind the team. Was never an issue for me, have always supported through thick and thin, and been loyal to CAFC no matter what.
    However, I do fear for next season. Our better players will leave, goals will continue to be conceded, no matter who we recruit , DA will continue to be tactically naive, we will always need a 2 goal cushion with 5 mins to play.
    Any relegated teams supporters alway think....we have been unlucky to be relegated. One division down, we will walk this, promotion a certainty.....I say, think again.
    When we were last relegated, I certainly didn't consider the club to be unlucky. We just weren't good enough to remain in L1. In fact, I thought that we were very lucky to remain in L1 for as long as we did. Two successful fights against the drop, followed by the relegation when we were well and truly sunk even before the season ended. When Davis led us into the new L2 season at the start of 2016, I for one was not optimistic of automatic promotion straight back into L1. My fears were soon realised that we were on a downward spiral heading towards another relegation. Thankfully, the tactically naïve (as some describe him now) Artell, came along and rescued us from that fate. Hopefully, he will do the same again. I believe that our problems right now go far deeper than the team manager. The board need to take a long hard look at how the football club is run once this season ends.
    Last edited by alexmick; 01-02-2018 at 09:50 PM.

When we were last relegated, I certainly didn't consider the club to be unlucky. We just weren't good enough to remain in L1. In fact, I thought that we were very lucky to remain in L1 for as long as we did. Two successful fights against the drop, followed by the relegation when we were well and truly sunk even before the season ended. When Davis led us into the new L2 season at the start of 2016, I for one was not optimistic of automatic promotion straight back into L1. My fears were soon realised that we were on a downward spiral heading towards another relegation. Thankfully, the tactically naïve (as some describe him now) Artell, came along and rescued us from that fate. Hopefully, he will do the same again. I believe that our problems right now go far deeper than the team manager. The board need to take a long hard look at how the football club is run once this season ends.
    What I meant was, supporters will look back and say
    We lost 0-1 to A but hit the post twice
    We dominated B and conceded in the last minute
    We missed a penalty against C
    The ref was crap, disallowed a goal against D for no reason
    We were 2-0 up with 10 mins to go
    And several other near misses.
    And after all that, we only got relegated on goal difference, and look what happened to.....Newport (for example) the following season, so next year, well piss it.
    That's what I meant!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast