+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Done it again and had someone sent off

Done it again and had someone sent off

Incredible how the team are incapable of defending a lead approaching full time and concede a goal(s) in the last few minutes yet again. It has been even worse today by getting a player dismissed as the final whistle is in view. The defence is still leaking like a sieve.

All of whom are Artells signings. The few players who were here before him are, funnily enough, our better players. Ainley Wintle etc

Quote Originally Posted by Fidler View Post
    Incredible how the team are incapable of defending a lead approaching full time and concede a goal(s) in the last few minutes yet again.

It's in our DNA I'm afraid, no other explanation for it. We've been doing it for years, no matter who is at the helm, no matter who is wearing the red (or blue - as it was yesterday!).

Odd thing about it was we probably should have been 1 up in the first 2 minutes, we started well and yet after 3 – bang! – one down!! Another bloody bombshell and it seemed to go through Richards’ hands.

Then slowly we worked our way back into the game and, suddenly, for a spell of about 15-20 minutes, we were untouchable, playing it around nicely and with tempo, leading to 2 excellent goals from Ainley, the first a cracking volley across the goal. He really has got a great first touch. Even before that first goal, there was a situation where the ball was cleared out to him and he volleyed it back into the danger area first time. Excellent technique.
    I recall thinking we are so on top we need more than 2 here – and we all know that is never enough! And then half-time came!

Interesting sub on 41 mins by them – Woolery off and Norris on! The fans didn’t like it – “you don’t know what you’re doing!” – and he certainly didn’t look injured. They were booed off at the interval. In fact they had used all 3 subs by the start of the 2nd half – 2 more at HT.

2nd half, what a surprise (not!), they came out all guns blazing! If we weren’t expecting that, then I’m lost for words. And yet 5 mins in, we catch them on the break, Bowery’s shot is parried and somehow, from the narrowest of angles, Wintle slides it in and we are in dreamland. But again, I kept saying we need 2 more to get that 4-goal buffer. I’ve seen it so many times before. You just knew there were more goals to come.

Slowly but surely they started to turn the screw and, I don’t know, with about 15-20 to go, a cross comes in, we fail to deal with it, it comes out to one of theirs and he side-foots it in. I was at Wycombe and just like then, I felt the same here, the omens were not looking good. And sure enough, with 5 to go, they equalise. You just knew it. And then, to top it off, the ref goes back and gives Zooms a red, apparently (I didn’t see it) for some sort of blatant body-check in the build-up.

And of course in between all of that, in fact before the 3rd goal, we lost Richards to injury. Garratt was forced to make 2 smart saves in his first 3 minutes on the pitch. Well, that was it. You didn’t need Mystic Meg to tell you what was going to happen next – and sure enough, in injury time, that bloody Richards bloke pops up with a very neat near-post flick. You just knew it!

And yet, with ELEVEN mins added on, there was still time for us to finally start to throw the kitchen sink at them. And this leads to a collision at a corner – and Raynes comes off worse, helped off with what looked like an arm injury. And we are down to 9.

And yet still we try and their keeper makers a smart save low down with seconds to go. We could, and maybe should, have made it 4-4.

What a game!
    What value for money!
    What a HUGE disappointment!

A couple of observations – the young lad McKirdy ran his socks off and looks a prospect, and Bowery continues to frustrate but he can at least hold the ball up better than anyone else we have.

And then there’s the time wasting – why do we do it??? What does it achieve?? Richards was doing it in the FIRST half, and eventually got booked for it, and then Garratt gets a yellow too. It was SO blatant, SO painful to watch, do they get taught this stuff? Anyone who knows ANYTHING about Crewe knows we need as many minutes on the pitch as we can get. Ironic that late on when the ball went behind our goal, Garratt ran onto the terrace himself to get the ball. “Oh I see, you’re in a hurry now!” I thought. Time wasting never EVER works, not for us!!!

Sorry about that but at least I feel better now!

I only listened to the game on Radio Stoke but your account appears to be spot on with your account of the match. I have viewed the goals on youtube and for at least two of the goals conceded our defence was a shambles, Swindon had 4 players at the back post for one goal and not a Crewe player near them . Is this all the managers fault or the players fault. There are enough senior players out there who should be aware of what is needed to be done .
    We as a club are now fighting for our league status . Its ok for people to hark on about the good old days but they have gone and football has moved on but Crewe have stood still and look where we are now- in a fine old mess. I feel its time for a big shake up at the club . We need new directors with a new vision and money to back it up . We also need a manager who can motivate players . DA was a fine defender in lower league football but this does not always mean he will be a good manager .I feel he got the job as he was cheap to employ and as the academy manager he would bring in the young academy players. The club need to be bold and appoint a fresh young manager like we did with Dario and not a manager who will fit into a club system that is failing.
    The next move the club make will possibly be the biggest one it makes in its history. Will we stay in league football or drop through the trap door . We the fans will have no say in this , its all down to those who are the custodians of our club

No Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    I only listened to the game on Radio Stoke but your account appears to be spot on with your account of the match. I have viewed the goals on youtube and for at least two of the goals conceded our defence was a shambles, Swindon had 4 players at the back post for one goal and not a Crewe player near them . Is this all the managers fault or the players fault. There are enough senior players out there who should be aware of what is needed to be done .
    We as a club are now fighting for our league status . Its ok for people to hark on about the good old days but they have gone and football has moved on but Crewe have stood still and look where we are now- in a fine old mess. I feel its time for a big shake up at the club . We need new directors with a new vision and money to back it up . We also need a manager who can motivate players . DA was a fine defender in lower league football but this does not always mean he will be a good manager .I feel he got the job as he was cheap to employ and as the academy manager he would bring in the young academy players. The club need to be bold and appoint a fresh young manager like we did with Dario and not a manager who will fit into a club system that is failing.
    The next move the club make will possibly be the biggest one it makes in its history. Will we stay in league football or drop through the trap door . We the fans will have no say in this , its all down to those who are the custodians of our club
    There is no leaders on the field or off it,as its been said have been letting goals in like this for years under DG and SD and now Artache the club can not do the bleeding obvious,clueless hopeless and useless,as there more interested in bringing the next prospect through rather than looking after the 1st team,so now you see the result of that fallacy.
    If the club do not bring in at least 2 defenders by Wednesday we may all start singing " And now the time is near Crewe face the final curtain" sung and sunken by playing to many Academy players i did warn you!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    Will we stay in league football or drop through the trap door?

And that was the burning question at FT.
    A defeat, and not just any defeat but one in the manner of yesterday's, can kill a team!!
    They're gonna take some lifting after that.
    For the first time this season I actually fear the worst.
    It's how we respond.

Quote Originally Posted by itwasin View Post
    ..... have been letting goals in like this for years under DG and SD .....

Interesting that you point the finger at the 2 most successful managers in the club's history.
    Where were you when they were at their peak?
    If you have nothing useful to post, please don't bother!

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    It's in our DNA I'm afraid, no other explanation for it. We've been doing it for years, no matter who is at the helm, no matter who is wearing the red (or blue - as it was yesterday!).

Odd thing about it was we probably should have been 1 up in the first 2 minutes, we started well and yet after 3 – bang! – one down!! Another bloody bombshell and it seemed to go through Richards’ hands.

Then slowly we worked our way back into the game and, suddenly, for a spell of about 15-20 minutes, we were untouchable, playing it around nicely and with tempo, leading to 2 excellent goals from Ainley, the first a cracking volley across the goal. He really has got a great first touch. Even before that first goal, there was a situation where the ball was cleared out to him and he volleyed it back into the danger area first time. Excellent technique.
    I recall thinking we are so on top we need more than 2 here – and we all know that is never enough! And then half-time came!

Interesting sub on 41 mins by them – Woolery off and Norris on! The fans didn’t like it – “you don’t know what you’re doing!” – and he certainly didn’t look injured. They were booed off at the interval. In fact they had used all 3 subs by the start of the 2nd half – 2 more at HT.

2nd half, what a surprise (not!), they came out all guns blazing! If we weren’t expecting that, then I’m lost for words. And yet 5 mins in, we catch them on the break, Bowery’s shot is parried and somehow, from the narrowest of angles, Wintle slides it in and we are in dreamland. But again, I kept saying we need 2 more to get that 4-goal buffer. I’ve seen it so many times before. You just knew there were more goals to come.

Slowly but surely they started to turn the screw and, I don’t know, with about 15-20 to go, a cross comes in, we fail to deal with it, it comes out to one of theirs and he side-foots it in. I was at Wycombe and just like then, I felt the same here, the omens were not looking good. And sure enough, with 5 to go, they equalise. You just knew it. And then, to top it off, the ref goes back and gives Zooms a red, apparently (I didn’t see it) for some sort of blatant body-check in the build-up.

And of course in between all of that, in fact before the 3rd goal, we lost Richards to injury. Garratt was forced to make 2 smart saves in his first 3 minutes on the pitch. Well, that was it. You didn’t need Mystic Meg to tell you what was going to happen next – and sure enough, in injury time, that bloody Richards bloke pops up with a very neat near-post flick. You just knew it!

And yet, with ELEVEN mins added on, there was still time for us to finally start to throw the kitchen sink at them. And this leads to a collision at a corner – and Raynes comes off worse, helped off with what looked like an arm injury. And we are down to 9.

And yet still we try and their keeper makers a smart save low down with seconds to go. We could, and maybe should, have made it 4-4.

What a game!
    What value for money!
    What a HUGE disappointment!

A couple of observations – the young lad McKirdy ran his socks off and looks a prospect, and Bowery continues to frustrate but he can at least hold the ball up better than anyone else we have.

And then there’s the time wasting – why do we do it??? What does it achieve?? Richards was doing it in the FIRST half, and eventually got booked for it, and then Garratt gets a yellow too. It was SO blatant, SO painful to watch, do they get taught this stuff? Anyone who knows ANYTHING about Crewe knows we need as many minutes on the pitch as we can get. Ironic that late on when the ball went behind our goal, Garratt ran onto the terrace himself to get the ball. “Oh I see, you’re in a hurry now!” I thought. Time wasting never EVER works, not for us!!!

Sorry about that but at least I feel better now!
    What a great report and a treat to read.

With regards to Woolery, he has done this a few times to our annoyance.

We are a topsy turvy team that isn't consistent. I don't think there is any outstanding team in this league. The best team have seen was Chesterfield when they were bottom of the league.

Hope you continue to learn and build on your defence from this game.

I have visited Crewe on a couple of occasions as my brother worked at your railwaorks. Also took in Nantwich and visited a club which I think was called Charlie's or Chelseas (it was a huge place spread over several floors.

All the best for the rest of the season

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1959 View Post
    What a great report and a treat to read.

Very kind, thank you!

While Swindon eyes are still open (or maybe not - we are probably yesterday's news what with your win last night), worth pointing out that your manager had the last laugh.
    "You don't know what you're doing!"?
    I don't think so, changes were required, he made them - and to top it all, look who was MOM! (I see the guy even started last night).
    Just goes to show, all football fans judge too early.