+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great Qos Strikers

Stephen Dobbie
    Andy Thomson (sold for £250,000 in 1994)

Really pushed to choose after that, my time frame includes Ian Reid and Peter Dickson (I thought Reid was better).

Quote Originally Posted by Edqos1 View Post
    Stephen Dobbie
    Andy Thomson (sold for £250,000 in 1994)

Really pushed to choose after that, my time frame includes Ian Reid and Peter Dickson (I thought Reid was better).
    Iain Reid was an outstanding centre - forward with a real eye for goal - 192 starts, 89 goals.
    Out of Hammer's time frame I know but Neil Martin had a more successful career than most of
    the names mentioned scoring 100 goals in Scotland and England long before Kenny Dalglish
    who the press often credits with. Also capped 3 times for Scotland when he was a Hibs or
    Sunderland player.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Any more offerings ?
    For me it’s 1. Dobbie, 2. Lyle and 3. Andy T. Del shaves it over Andy by a whisker but possibly only because his contribution is fresher in my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Iain Reid was an outstanding centre - forward with a real eye for goal - 192 starts, 89 goals.
    Out of Hammer's time frame I know but Neil Martin had a more successful career than most of
    the names mentioned scoring 100 goals in Scotland and England long before Kenny Dalglish
    who the press often credits with. Also capped 3 times for Scotland when he was a Hibs or
    Sunderland player.
    My recollections of Reid are not from seeing him but reading programmes from the 70's and the Queens history book. No doubt he was a fantastic finisher .

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Sunderland player.
    On Neil Martin I knew he held some kind of record but I couldn't remember what it was until you mentioned it here.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Stewart Cochrane , Peter Weatherson, Rowan Alexander, Stevie Mallan, Tommy Bryce 2, Nicky Clark, Andy Thomson, Derek Lyle and Stephen Dobbie. All great strikers that I have been fortunate to see play for us . Apologies to the older Mad contributors but I can only talk from 1978 onwards. Could you lot rate their top three strikers out of those guys in order ?
    Here's my list and I'll complete my other recollections later:
    1. Dobbie
    2. Lyle
    3. Thomson
    4. Mallan
    5. Bryce
    6. Clark
    7. Weatherson
    8. Alexander
    9. Cochrane
    10. O'Connor

Albertz, I think that Ian Reid, Peter Dickson, John Dempster and Ronnie Ronnie Hamilton were streets ahead of the players you mentied after your first three.

Dobbie
    Thompson
    Lyle

In the above order with Reid, Dickson and Bryce II, being my next three. Stewart Cochrane sadly cut short by injury would certainly have been up there. Peter Dickson was probably the most instinctive finisher I have seen in a Queens shirt, but, again his goal scoring exploits at Palmerston really only lasted a couple of seasons before he ended up playing right back.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    Albertz, I think that Ian Reid, Peter Dickson, John Dempster and Ronnie Ronnie Hamilton were streets ahead of the players you mentied after your first three.
    Without seeing those players that you mentioned playing for Queens I couldn't comment one way or the other.

Albertz I have and that trumps you I'm afraid!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)