+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Qos Strikers

Great Qos Strikers

Stewart Cochrane , Peter Weatherson, Rowan Alexander, Stevie Mallan, Tommy Bryce 2, Nicky Clark, Andy Thomson, Derek Lyle and Stephen Dobbie. All great strikers that I have been fortunate to see play for us . Apologies to the older Mad contributors but I can only talk from 1978 onwards. Could you lot rate their top three strikers out of those guys in order ?
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 28-01-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Sean O'Connor I forgot

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Stewart Cochrane , Peter Weatherson, Rowan Alexander, Stevie Mallan, Tommy Bryce 2, Nicky Clark, Andy Thomson, Derek Lyle and Stephen Dobbie. Could you lot rate their top three strikers out of those guys in order ?
    1. Stephen Dobbie

2. Derek Lyle

3. Andy Thomson

Stewart Cochrane , Peter Weatherson, Rowan Alexander, Stevie Mallan, Tommy Bryce 2, Nicky Clark, Andy Thomson, Derek Lyle and Stephen Dobbie. All great strikers that I have been fortunate to see play for us . Apologies to the older Mad contributors but I can only talk from 1978 onwards. Could you lot rate their top three strikers out of those guys in order ?
    I'm going to list each striker and my own memories:

I don't recall seeing Stewart Cochrane although I may have seen him on a few occasions and my Uncle told me he was fairly decent before the injury that ended his career in his mid-20s after the promotion season of 1985-6. Don't know any of his stats for Queens. Didn't know his father played once for Queens in 1957.

Peter "Nelly" Weatherson was the glory striker of the Connolly Era before going on to Greenock Morton where he excelled. Not sure where he ranks in the scoring charts? 38 goals in 98 League appearances plus how many Cup goals? Also not sure of his total appearances. Always remember him in the 6-5 game vs. Greenock Morton and his two goals at Forfar in the yellow and blue striped away shirt to give Queens the Second Division Championship.

Vague recollection of Rowan Alexander, another who moved to Greenock Morton, although not directly from Queens like Nelly. 1978-83 first spell 69 goals in 136 League appearances, then 1995-98 with 2 goals in 18 League appearances when manager at Queens. 14th top scorer with 78 goals although not sure how many appearances...

Stevie Mallan, father of current Barnsley player Stephen. 94 goals between 1993-2000 and 8th top scorer, just one goal behind Tommy Bryce Mark 2. Marvo scored 82 goals in 232 League appearances and not sure of his total appearances. Signed from Clyde and previously played for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy in the Juniors. I met Marvo last season and reminded him of his best goal that I seen him score vs. Dundee Utd at Palmerston in the Scottish Cup. He was impressed that I remembered this goal. He had got on as a sub and was trying to impress the manager and Sieb Dykstra was the Arabs keeper. He volleyed in from outside the box if I recall.

The others to follow.....

1. Dobbie

2. Lyle

3 Andy Thomson

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    1. Stephen Dobbie

2. Derek Lyle

3. Andy Thomson
    Good picks Truthy. I'm not sure if I could pick a top 3 , more a top 5 or 6. Got to say that I loved Rowan Alexander as a wee boy . An outstanding forward, brilliant in the air. I would probably find a space in my all time strikers for him.

Any more offerings ?

Any more offerings ?

1. tommy bryce 2

2.mallan

3.dobbie

i could name a few but most of who jr has already listed i liked wee jimmy mcguire if you could call him a striker or no, he liked to get about the pitch a bit lol ,but has to be those 3 as my top strikers .

Could also name at least three others Hammer but they are outside your time line.

In my era I’ll go for

Dobbie
    A. Thomson
    Lyle

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)