+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great Qos Strikers

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    Albertz I have and that trumps you I'm afraid!
    As like JR I can only comment on the strikers I've seen.

What a player and what a signing Stephen Dobbie was been for Queens. That’s 49 goals he’s scored since his return last season

I just can’t get my head around why more fans aren’t coming out in bigger numbers to watch him and Queens

WHY , just WHY ????

Like most people it will be Stephen Dobbie, Derek Lyle but not Andy Thomson mainly because I only saw his 2nd spell at Queens so my 3rd pick would have to be from Gavin Reilly, Nicky Clark, Sean O'Connor & Peter Weatherson.

1. Stephen Dobbie - My all time favourite Queens player let alone striker
    2. Derek Lyle - Seen him in all his spells for Queens and he is always good for a goal (hopefully he can score a few more before he retires to get 2nd all time queens scorer before Dobbie comes along to take it)
    3. Sean O'Connor - One of my early favourite Queens player and I remember how sad I was at the last home match when he & Dobbie left Queens

Andy Thomson was a great striker for Queens but Stephen Dobbie is on another level. He’s a joy to watch and we’re very lucky to have him at our football club

Would love on day to see Gavin Reilly return to Queens. He’s another natural goal scorer

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/l...final-10669478 Now, I'm not suggesting Gerry Phillips was one of our best ever strikers but I know he had a decent strike rate. When I was looking for his stats I came across this and thought it would be interesting to put on.

For best ever striker at Queens, try Hughie Gallacher, 19 goals in 9 appearances. He then went on to score a total of 463 goals in 624 senior appearances, mostly at the top level.

His Queens career took place in 1920/21, and he was pinched from us by Airdrie when he was in hospital recovering from double pneumonia. Although we were still 'non-league' at that stage.

Must confess 1920/21 is a shade before my time (by 45 years).

In the Queens Museum there is the letter concerning Gallacher's signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edqos1 View Post
    For best ever striker at Queens, try Hughie Gallacher, 19 goals in 9 appearances. He then went on to score a total of 463 goals in 624 senior appearances, mostly at the top level.

His Queens career took place in 1920/21, and he was pinched from us by Airdrie when he was in hospital recovering from double pneumonia. Although we were still 'non-league' at that stage.

Must confess 1920/21 is a shade before my time (by 45 years).
    Six of Gallacher's games were friendlies against the likes of the Glasgow Railway League Select, Renfrewshire Junior Select etc, two in the local Potts Cup and the only '' big '' game was one in the Scottish Cup in which he never scored.
    No idea what the rules were in those far off days but in 1922 he was allowed to be a '' guest '' player for Queens in two Charity Cup games in which he scored another 6 goals - 11 appearances 25 goals. As Ed says he went on to be a very
    prolific goalscorer for Newcastle United, Chelsea and other teams. Sadly committed suicide in 1957.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/l...final-10669478 Now, I'm not suggesting Gerry Phillips was one of our best ever strikers but I know he had a decent strike rate. When I was looking for his stats I came across this and thought it would be interesting to put on.
    Gerry Phillips and his long time friend and former Queens player Ian Mitchell will both be at Derek Lyles testimonial dinner in DUMFRIES next month

After much thought...Dobbie,Peter Dickson,Derek Lyle.Legends all.Special mention to Andy Thomson and Nellie Weatherson,another two great players who served Queens brilliantly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)