+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deeney incoming

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Johnny on the spot 1;38779002]Funny.... not many want Deeney it's only been a few week not many wanted Pardew . ��[/B]
    And I'll readily admit I was one of those as I thought it was an extremely lazy choice.
    However, the chap's been winning me over from very early on and I just hope it all works out (obviously).
    Keep it up Alan.

As for Deeney I feel the prices being quoted are a bit much given I'd prefer somebody with greater mobility.
    That said he's got a footballing brain and while not sh it off a shovel he puts himself about.
    He knows what he's good at, he's very effective and doesn't over complicate things.
    As such he could prove to be a good acquisition.

My concern would be that he was reportedly a TP target and we no longer play to a TP style.
    It's not my money though and as an Albion supporter I'd wish him all of the very best and hope he does the business.

For those who think he's a thug I understand your reservations and where you're coming from.
    However I'm the first to admit that with hindsight I could have made different choices when I was younger too.

If he comes I'll back him, if he doesn't I'll back whomever arrives (if any do )

COYB .

I am in the hope not camp but if he does sign then I will be hoping he proves me wrong. If you take his penalties away then he isn’t that prolific a goalscorer and more in the TP works ‘ard category for me. Too slow, too old, too expensive for what he has done the last 12 months and I suspect may be a very abrasive character in the dressing room. Surely better options available elsewhere?

A lot of people saying he's a yob but I actually thought of him as a reformed character. I also appreciate his honesty when is speaking.

Having said that, for £16m he's not the type of player I would have gone for. He doesn't strike me as any better than Rondon.

He's 30 in June, I'd rather go with someone a bit younger and more mobile.

However, like most of said, he'll get my full support if we do sign him

It’s not gonna happen. We won’t sign anybody but it will be almost, just missed out on, and won’t pay the price. You never know, Rondon might have a better 2nd half of the season playing alongside J.Rod.

Will Grigg anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by rambaggie View Post
    It’s not gonna happen. We won’t sign anybody but it will be almost, just missed out on, and won’t pay the price. You never know, Rondon might have a better 2nd half of the season playing alongside J.Rod.
    I hope we never pay that much for a lump of lard when there are good strikers that are actually scoring goals and we could possibly get for a fraction of what has been touted around for Deeney...if the powers that be are seriously thinking of taking Deeney then they must be making a quick buck into their arse pockets...because there is no footballing sense there at all.

Players like this one that I posted up before but hardly got a comment yet nearly everyone would take a chance on Deeney....someone 'avin a giraffe aint they...

http://www.espnfc.com/player/77260/samuel-di-carmine

Don’t know about anyone else but I am becoming more convinced that Jonny Evans may be staying this window with the big clubs relying upon us getting relegated and then being able to get him on the cheap via his £3M release clause.

If he doesn’t go surely any big transfer deal is out of the water anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    I hope we never pay that much for a lump of lard when there are good strikers that are actually scoring goals and we could possibly get for a fraction of what has been touted around for Deeney...if the powers that be are seriously thinking of taking Deeney then they must be making a quick buck into their arse pockets...because there is no footballing sense there at all.

Players like this one that I posted up before but hardly got a comment yet nearly everyone would take a chance on Deeney....someone 'avin a giraffe aint they...

http://www.espnfc.com/player/77260/samuel-di-carmine
    This is the dilemma Murph we need strengthening but who do we go for if this is a genuine call , some untried kid or someone like deeney, we have to remember that some teams will be reluctant to sell to us because of their position, ie like that lad at Newcastle a bit of a hot head but decent goal scorer but Benitez said he wouldn't sell to teams around them ?

I don't really want Deeney either but at the price of around £16 million he is probably one of the cheapest strikers available, when you look at other clubs they are looking at players from abroad and are being quoted more than that for players that are playing in lower standard leagues Everton paid £20 million for Tosun and he looked poor against us, whoever we bring in has to be able to hit the ground running and have Premier league experience and Deeney fits that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    I don't really want Deeney either but at the price of around £16 million he is probably one of the cheapest strikers available, when you look at other clubs they are looking at players from abroad and are being quoted more than that for players that are playing in lower standard leagues Everton paid £20 million for Tosun and he looked poor against us, whoever we bring in has to be able to hit the ground running and have Premier league experience and Deeney fits that bill.
    A good post Shake I tend to agree ,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)