+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Versus Leicester FA Cup 68- Was you there?

The game wasn't all ticket. Not because of any difficulty in organising ticket printing and sales. Two years previously the Millers drew at Old Trafford and managed to organise tickets for the replay on the following Tuesday.

The Millers secretary had asked Leicester to make the game all ticket as we expected a big following. Leicester refused, believing that a 42,000 capacity would be plenty. They were wrong.

I was stood outside with 100s of unlucky Rotherham fans. Just before the end of normal time they opened the gates at the home end. I was one of many of our fans to get in the home end, before they shut the gates again. Unfortunately we only got to see us lose.

Remember it well ! Everyone in Rawmish travelled down the M1 that day , what a site to see loads of Yorkshire Traction double decker buses and every car with red and white scarfs wafting from the Windows , I was one of the unlucky ones that didn't get in , what made it worse was getting a running report from pig fan class mates sat inside on the stand wall ,

Quote Originally Posted by Cornish miller View Post
    Remember it well ! Everyone in Rawmish travelled down the M1 that day , what a site to see loads of Yorkshire Traction double decker buses and every car with red and white scarfs wafting from the Windows , I was one of the unlucky ones that didn't get in , what made it worse was getting a running report from pig fan class mates sat inside on the stand wall ,
    My dad and grandad went to the replay - I was only 7 at the time. My Grandad used to tell me about the match often before he passed away. They both got in the ground and were standing together near the back of the stand and my Grandad watched as my dad floated away across the cop - the last he saw of him my dad was about 30 yards away and his feet hadn't touched the ground. My Grandad managed to get out of the stadium after 10 minutes - he never knew how because his arms were pinned to his sides . He feared for his life in the crush and was relieved to see my dad at the end - he always said Hillsborough was just waiting to happen.

I wasn't born so obviously I wasn't there. I do remember my dad, grandad and friends' parents etc talking about the game. Leicester were never anything special while I was growing up so I didn't really get what the big deal was. Strange how certain games stay in the mind and mean a lot to people many years later. I do understand that.
    Millmoor looked uncomfortably full in the video, and amazing at the same time.

Those mobility scooters parked in the corner would fetch thousands at " Terry's Retro Dragsters" in Skeggy

I didnt go to the away game..i watched the home game from the railway end..you could swop ends when you wanted to in those days...but a few years later,... then look what happened...kung fu stars, bricks, bottles, and of course, a 50 strong mob waiting...nothing like conscription ya know...

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Millmoor looked uncomfortably full in the video, and amazing at the same time.
    Yes it was , and that was true of several over-20000 attendance games at Millmoor in the 1960's... in retrospect we were lucky that nobody was seriously injured by being crushed or trampled during that period, as far as I can remember.
    Getting out of the ground after the match was probably the main danger point, as Millmoor only had exit gates on the Tivoli End plus just one more right at the bottom of Millmoor Lane in the 60s. An extra, but fairly narrow, exit gate was later added halfway up Millmoor Lane about 1970(?)

It's hard to believe that the Leicester FA Cup match was 50 years ago.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 30-01-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Yes it was , and that was true of several over-20000 attendance games at Millmoor in the 1960's... in retrospect we were lucky that nobody was seriously injured by being crushed or trampled during that period, as far as I can remember.
    Getting out of the ground after the match was probably the main danger point, as Millmoor only had exit gates on the Tivoli End plus just one more right at the bottom of Millmoor Lane in the 60s. An extra, but fairly narrow, exit gate was later added halfway up Millmoor Lane about 1970(?)

It's hard to believe that the Leicester FA Cup match was 50 years ago.
    God I feel old..I must have been 13..I remember us playing nuneaton borough..peterboro with jim iley..wolves with derek dougan..and remember the friendly with slovan bratislava ? Memories..I had a mate in the steelworks (been dead since about 1980 , would have been about 95 now, think he used to put colin clish up on bradgate lane..

Was at the Millmoor tie. Did Storrie score? Got a memory of him scoring with a header at the railway end from a distance out. Downes missed from a few feet out near the end.

lets be honest.. if we were dished up that kind of football at NYS the teams would be booed off... strange how our memories lie to us

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast