+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Versus Leicester FA Cup 68- Was you there?

Versus Leicester FA Cup 68- Was you there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=KRwXaSihpms

I was 8 year old in the kids bit, just around corner from Railway End on best side. 25,000 at Millmoor!! It could well have been the largest attended Millmoor match, I went to.

Nearest we got to quarter finals of cup. I think we lost the replay 2-0

I now recall the news of Shilton not playing.

Hill, Swift, Watson,Tiler, Hague, Quinn, Bentley, Shephard, Butler, Storrie, Downes sub Haselden for Tiler

Rodney Fern for Leicester. Stringfellow apt name. Watson was Dave Watson for younger viewers.

Keep playing for other memorable televised matches.
    Last edited by brassgnat; 30-01-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Sorry it was Wilson, not Butler

Quote Originally Posted by brassgnat View Post
    Sorry it was Wilson, not Butler
    Yes, I was there - probably standing next to you.... Amazing game and atmosphere. Millmoor looks full to bursting point, but I think that it was an all ticket game. Steve Downes was a "goal-hanger" type forward, who was often effective in a goalmouth scramble. Can't remember him scoring with many long shots, but he was a decent header of the ball

I have an excuse for not being there

Being as my dad was only 6 and my mum 4 I wasn’t born back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post

Well, you can see in the video what Millmoor looked like with 23500 (official attendance) fans inside! I remember being disappointed when Tiler went off injured, as he was one of our key players, and we were already a goal down. We did well to come back and get a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post

Normal marrying age in Maltby.

Quote Originally Posted by grist_to_the_mill View Post
    normal marrying age in maltby.
    Lol
    Last edited by millertop; 30-01-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Had to put lol in for the faces to appear right and now ruined my moment

I was there and went to the replay with Riley's coaches where I actually managed to get in to Filbert Street which was where Leicester played in those days.
    Loads of Rotherham fans failed to get into the ground but I can't remember what the problem was. Maybe it wasn't all ticket and just too many people turned up.
    Brian Tiler smashed in an absolute screamer in the first half but it was wrongly ruled out for offside. The team gave a good account of itself but eventually went down to a 2-0 defeat.

Went to replay also, sort of, workmate who was taking us ( Brian Sorsby)changed his car the morning before going to the evening match, about a hour into the journey the car packed in on the M1 , no oil, one of the passengers got a lift to the service station for the oil and off we went , max speed 30 mph as the engine was knocking like mad. We arrived about half time but the away end was full so couldn’t get in, their was quite a big crowd of Millers fans outside the ground who thought it was fun to try and rock the car over! We got back to Rotherham at about 02.00 am . I think it was a Ford Prefect ..

Official attendance for the replay was 41856 - enormous crowds for FA Cup games back then. The replay probably wasn't all ticket, as the match was played only four days after the Millmoor tie, and in those days clubs wouldn't have been able to plan for printing and selling tickets in that timespan. Didn't get to the replay - due to school - and in retrospect, just as well as I probably wouldn't have got into Filbert Street anyway. Leicester were a top FA Cup team back then and had reached the final in 1963, and then did it again in 1969.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 30-01-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast