+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Team n the City

The Big Team n the City

There is much debate and banter over which of the two Dundee Clubs is the Big Team in the city. This title is something that can apply to periods in history or even to individual derbies, etc., when both Clubs' supporters will lay claim to the bragging rights. The last 3 seasons DUFC have plunged way below DFC's Premier struggler status, languishing rather unproudly in the Championship and handing the Big Team status to DFC, who have done absolutely nothing to earn it. Whilst the title can swing from one side to the other for periods of time, even individual matches, it is worthwhile to consider things for the overall periods of their existence and in particular to major trophies won and head to head derby matches, etc.

A close scrutiny of the the stats in the below link will clearly show which team has been the most successful team in the city throughout their existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_derby

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    There is much debate and banter over which of the two Dundee Clubs is the Big Team in the city. This title is something that can apply to periods in history or even to individual derbies, etc., when both Clubs' supporters will lay claim to the bragging rights. The last 3 seasons DUFC have plunged way below DFC's Premier struggler status, languishing rather unproudly in the Championship and handing the Big Team status to DFC, who have done absolutely nothing to earn it. Whilst the title can swing from one side to the other for periods of time, even individual matches, it is worthwhile to consider things for the overall periods of their existence and in particular to major trophies won and head to head derby matches, etc.

A close scrutiny of the the stats in the below link will clearly show which team has been the most successful team in the city throughout their existence.

Well done Ram this should be the end of any debate...Dundee 93 years of top flight football to United's 58...and the gap aint closing anytime soon

HISTORY TELLS NO LIES

Peter my dear friend, obviously I don't believe you are being selective with information to try and prove a point. Therefore it does appear that you suggesting that with the major honours tally for the two clubs being the same, and with the Shed having won theirs during far fewer years in the top flight, that you are inferring they have been the most successful team in the city?

Spot on ram, teams rarely ever win the major cups while outwith the top flight, can count it one hand

That means reality is you only really have a proper chance while in the top flight, so makes dundee's overall mediocrity in league and cups even more noticeable

Which means DUFC since 1960 have out done everything DFC have in their entire history (saying that we have out done every club outwith celtic, oldco and sheep in that period)

Even not looking at it that way, we have won the big cup more times and been in twice as many finals in twenty years less competing in it (5 finals in that many years is pathetic for a city club)

They have only been handed the status of being the only top flight side in the city but not big team status, you only have to look at their crowds for that, not ours, weeee

Peter my dear friend, obviously I don't believe you are being selective with information to try and prove a point. Therefore it does appear that you suggesting that with the major honours tally for the two clubs being the same, and with the Shed having won theirs during far fewer years in the top flight, that you are inferring they have been the most successful team in the city?
    You should have stopped at major honours being equal as that is all that matters in the point you are making. Unless you are counting reaching and getting beat in finals as a success! If you are I would refer you to Peters point above as a counter to these losing finals with Dundee spending far more time in the top league than United.

At the moment we've got far bigger things to worry about right now, but if you cast your mind back to the early seventies, Dundee were indisputably the bigger team in the City with 5 major trophies to United's zero and with a much bigger supporter base. Thanks to ludicrous boardroom decisions (sound familiar?) at Dens, but most importantly combined with the unprecedented rise of United under Jum, the roles were reversed to the point where currently United now have the bigger supporter base and the same number of trophies. HOWEVER, unless we get our schit together pronto, there is a serious danger of history repeating itself over the next decade, and not in our favour.......................

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    At the moment we've got far bigger things to worry about right now, but if you cast your mind back to the early seventies, Dundee were indisputably the bigger team in the City with 5 major trophies to United's zero and with a much bigger supporter base. Thanks to ludicrous boardroom decisions (sound familiar?) at Dens, but most importantly combined with the unprecedented rise of United under Jum, the roles were reversed to the point where currently United now have the bigger supporter base and the same number of trophies. HOWEVER, unless we get our schit together pronto, there is a serious danger of history repeating itself over the next decade, and not in our favour.......................

This is a succinct, accurate portrayal of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by djh1711 View Post
    You should have stopped at major honours being equal as that is all that matters in the point you are making. Unless you are counting reaching and getting beat in finals as a success! If you are I would refer you to Peters point above as a counter to these losing finals with Dundee spending far more time in the top league than United.
    I presented a link which covers a wide range of success points contrasting/comparing the two sides. Whilst there are advantageous presentations for both sides, a cursory study quickly reveals a very strong bias in favour of one of the teams. Here is the link again. All I ask is that any who consult the document, do so with all fairness and honesty. I will leave it to others to decide which team has had the most successful history, with particular attention paid to matches against each other.

It should also be remembered that Dundee FC spent 17 years in the top league before DUFC were genetically engineered as Dundee Hibernian. There was no lower tier when the Dees were formed. They went in at the top whilst the Shed Hibs had to commence life in the by then lower tier.
    Last edited by RAM1971; 02-02-2018 at 04:26 PM.

I presented a link which covers a wide range of success points contrasting/comparing the two sides. Whilst there are advantageous presentations for both sides, a cursory study quickly reveals a very strong bias in favour of one of the teams. Here is the link again. All I ask is that any who consult the document, do so with all fairness and honesty. I will leave it to others to decide which team has had the most successful history, with particular attention paid to matches against each other.

The puss shutter of all time. An absolute shutter of the pusses to end all puss shutters!

My first derby is in there too, 17/4/63 (Ian Mitchell winner at a rain sodden Trolleydome )

[QUOTE=stokearab;38785449]The puss shutter of all time. An absolute shutter of the pusses to end all pusses.
    That presumes a degree of intelligence but most Dundee supporters are thick as fcuk.
    As epitomised by the clowns who post on here.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)