+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If we get promoted

If we get promoted

It's looking like the 2nd spot could well be on the cards now. long way to go so I won't count my chickens yet. Well I don't actually own any chickens but you know what I mean.

Who would you keep?

Johnstone (best keeper since Friedal and will only get better, hopefully sign him up)
    Terry (still has another season in him)
    Chester (solid)
    Hutton (on the left but not the right)
    Taylor (consistent and can battle it out with Hutton)
    Elmo (good player)
    Thor (only if he plays defensive midfield)
    Whelan (good as cover for Jedi or Thor)
    Jedi (I really rate him but it's a shame he's struggled with injuries this season)
    Adomah (yes)
    Green (yes)
    Grealish (yes)
    Hourihane (yes)
    snodgrass (sign him up)
    Kodjia (yes)
    Davis (yes)
    Bree (ok for the bench)
    Steer (no 2 keeper)

Out

Gabby 😭
    Hogan (unless he proves me wrong and stays fit)
    Samba
    McCormack (sorry dave)
    De leat
    Bunn
    Landsbury
    Gardner

And send the youngsters out on loan

Wow, should it happen, a massive clear out is needed just to reach mid table. The Jawdees have proved that even with what was a very good squad, the prem is another kettle of fish. SB has built a squad for the Championship. Dr X said that he wanted 3 squads, 1 to get out, 1 to stablise in the prem and 1 to challenge for Europe. With that in mind:

Johnstone
    Chester - Squad player
    Taylor - Squad player
    Thor - Squad player till Xmas
    Green
    Grealish
    Hourihane - Squad player till Xmas
    Kodjia
    Hogan - Squad player till Xmas
    Davis - Squad player till Xmas
    Bree - Squad player
    Steer - Squad player

OUT
    Terry- said he won’t play v CFC. Too slow for Prem
    Gabby - Swansong on the 11th Feb
    Samba - Too slow for Prem
    McCormack - Too slow for Prem
    De laet - Mind boggling signing
    Bunn - Mind boggling signing
    Lansbury - Jury still out
    Gardner - Injuries have stolen his confidence
    Hutton - Time to go, thanks for the memories, some good, many bad.
    Whelan- Too slow for Prem
    Jedi - Too slow for Prem
    Snodgrass - Too slow for Prem, took 5 months to adjust to pace of Championship
    Elmo = Too inconsistent for Prem
    Adomah- Too slow and inconsistent for Prem
    Grabban- Not good enough for Prem

Ok, this maybe harsh but the only players I would keep for the long term would be

Johnstone (who isn't ours)
    Chester
    Hourihane,
    Grealish (if he can live up to his potential)
    Adomah
    Davis
    Hogan
    Kodija

And to be really honest I only expect Johnstone, Chester and Kodija to be good enough for the prem long term

What Exiled said except Chester, who I think could make the step up - one of the most consistent CB's I've seen at Villa since Mellberg.

If we went up with FFP curtail our transfer budget in the first season?

Apparently West Country - we can only offer Hutton a new contract if we get promoted. If we stay in the championship SB has hinted that cuts would have to be made.

I think FFP is a ludicrous system. If you are in the championship the rules are different. Why not have a blanket coverage for everyone? Isn't it meant to be about fair play? The rule should be "whatever league you in you cannot spend X amount times more than your sponsorship, gate money and TV money.

The thread is far too prem-ature! Let's just enjoy the run and see where it takes us?
    FFP rules will make it almost impossible for any team reaching tge heights of the EPL.
    The first season will be all about survival and winning the majority of your homes games. One which we are doing well with now we have gotten rid of startled rabbits who have headlights in their eyes!

Winning is a great treat trend and one that we must keep up with today. NO SLIP UP'S please

Yes I read that about Hutton, wonder if he'd take a pay cut if we didn't go up as he isn't going to have PL clubs after him.

Surely Jedinak, Terry and Hutton would retire.

The Loanees in would return to their clubs.

Gabby out the door

Chester
    Taylor
    Thor
    Green
    Grealish
    Hourihane
    Kodjia
    Hogan
    Davis
    Bree
    Steer
    Gardner (I just like him)
    Adomah

Sell

Samba
    McCormack
    De laet
    Bunn
    Lansbury
    Whelan
    Elmo

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)