+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please go now, Artell

Big game on Saturday let’s all support the boys get down to Gresty road and roar the reds on

So where are we now on this thread? Performances over the last 2 months have been a higher quality and now we're getting the results to go with it. In addition to this, we now have most of our players back. It will be interesting to see the reaction (of players and fans!) to this state of affairs i.e. virtual safety.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    So where are we now on this thread? Performances over the last 2 months have been a higher quality and now we're getting the results to go with it. In addition to this, we now have most of our players back. It will be interesting to see the reaction (of players and fans!) to this state of affairs i.e. virtual safety.
    I agree completely and I have been pleased with the performances (in the main) and results in recent weeks. I said earlier on this thread that it was pointless changing the manager. However, would you believe it, there are still those who are unhappy with Artell and are still full of criticism in how he manages the team. We need to get behind the manager and the team in these final 7 matches, not so that we avoid relegation (because there is no danger of that), but so we can finish in the highest possible position in this league.
    Last edited by alexmick; 24-03-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick View Post
    I agree completely and I have been pleased with the performances (in the main) and results in recent weeks. I said earlier on this thread that it was pointless changing the manager. However, would you believe it, there are still those who are unhappy with Artell and are still full of criticism in how he manages the team. We need to get behind the manager and the team in these final 7 matches, not so that we avoid relegation (because there is no danger of that), but so we can finish in the highest possible position in this league.
    Mick, there are good reasons to stick with Dave Artell. We stick with our young players as they learn their trade. We should be giving our young manager the very same opportunity. In my view, he has managed the team very well this season, against the odds as well. Ray and Jones out for the majority of the season and Wintle missing a massive chunk too. Personally I would kike to see Artell in charge for a very long time. He has the passion, I think he has the right ideas for taking the club and the team forwards and we should give him our full support.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Mick, there are good reasons to stick with Dave Artell. We stick with our young players as they learn their trade. We should be giving our young manager the very same opportunity. In my view, he has managed the team very well this season, against the odds as well. Ray and Jones out for the majority of the season and Wintle missing a massive chunk too. Personally I would kike to see Artell in charge for a very long time. He has the passion, I think he has the right ideas for taking the club and the team forwards and we should give him our full support.
    Our young players or at least some of them who have had millions spent on them in order they can get even into this L2 and they all want to play for someone else naturally that pays more and have not done that great when you compare them to many clubs our size in L1 and L2...eg Shrewsbury and Accrington and by refusing to sign contract extensions have put two fingers up to the club, the board and the fans, we should not forget that.. The ethos must go both ways don't you think?

I don't like the term, 'our' young players as they are certainly not that...Most footballers are greedy mercenaries with not one ounce of loyalty and will go to the highest bidder whoever they are...

Ainley will no doubt have clubs queuing up but he will be a free agent in a couple of months and in reality he will be better 'personally' and financially by NOT signing now and getting a higher sign on fee and so why would he sign one now? Jones is different as he has been paid almost a season for doing nothing and try getting away with that in any other line of business. Clubs will need to be a bit more circumspect in offering him a contract and if none come in, he like others before him will sign then and only then..Timmy, it's not a case of us sticking with them but the other way around friend.. I hope they all prove me wrong and do what is best for the club and at the same time able to move on when the time is right for both..indeed as its always been and they know that too..

Artell's enthusiasm was always a big plus and deserves the same as every other manager we have had and that is at least two or three seasons and it's great we seemed to have escaped relegation.....this time!
    Last edited by MikeSB; 24-03-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Our young players or at least some of them who have had millions spent on them in order they can get even into this L2 and they all want to play for someone else naturally that pays more and have not done that great when you compare them to many clubs our size in L1 and L2...eg Shrewsbury and Accrington and by refusing to sign contract extensions have put two fingers up to the club, the board and the fans, we should not forget that.. The ethos must go both ways don't you think?

I don't like the term, 'our' young players as they are certainly not that...Most footballers are greedy mercenaries with not one ounce of loyalty and will go to the highest bidder whoever they are...

Ainley will no doubt have clubs queuing up but he will be a free agent in a couple of months and in reality he will be better 'personally' and financially by NOT signing now and getting a higher sign on fee and so why would he sign one now? Jones is different as he has been paid almost a season for doing nothing and try getting away with that in any other line of business. Clubs will need to be a bit more circumspect in offering him a contract and if none come in, he like others before him will sign then and only then..Timmy, it's not a case of us sticking with them but the other way around friend.. I hope they all prove me wrong and do what is best for the club and at the same time able to move on when the time is right for both..indeed as its always been and they know that too..

Artell's enthusiasm was always a big plus and deserves the same as every other manager we have had and that is at least two or three seasons and it's great we seemed to have escaped relegation.....this time!
    I see Accrington quoted regularly but it should be born in mind that they have had one exceptionally good season and may well struggle next season. Shrewsbury are the surprise package of league 1 and good luck to them.
    With regard to players signing extensions to their contracts, I actually find myself agreeing with you to a certain extent. However, most of us if "head hunted" in our working life, would take an offer of more money for doing the same job as we were already doing so that argument loses a little of it's thrust.
    As for the term, "our players", I am afraid that is exactly what they are for the time they are under contract and being paid by us. However, they ARE mercenaries and are encouraged in that by agents. Young players, sadly, need some representation but I am afraid agents generally act as much in their own interests as much as the players.

In fairness both performances and results have improved markedly over the last month. Not sure its down to the returning players though, as apart from Ray, the others (Daggers, Porter, Jonah, Wintle) haven't been able to contribute. Those who've contributed the most are those who are criticised on here regularly. Nolan has been immense, as has Bowery, together with various academy lads coming to the fore. Pickering, Ng, Lowery, Ainley and Kirk are now the backbone of the team.

Nice to see that the pressure has now lifted somewhat from Artell's shoulders with our recent excellent results and performances. Of course, we need to continue in the same vein in the last 7matches of the season, finishing as high in the league as possible. The win ratio also looks more respectable now. No team from 12th down has won more matches than the Alex, so things are improving. The pressure really is on the Vale manager now, especially with Chesterfield closing the gap after their fine 3-1 victory over high flying Notts. County today. Vale will no doubt go into that Easter period full of nerves, having to face Chesterfield on Good Friday and the Alex the following Monday. Chesterfield on the other hand, face Newport at home on Bank Holiday Monday. Vale who have not won a single game in 2018, will be hoping that Grimsby don't find a winning streak any time soon. I know that Chesterfield are now only 9 points behind ourselves, but our superior goal difference equates to a 10 point gap in actual fact. Interesting times for a League Two football fan.

The Vale May hope that Grimsby find a winning streak when they play both Barnet AND Chesterfield at Home next month!

Personally, and I know others will disagree for good reason, I hope the Vale stay up. I have a couple of good friends who have season tickets at the Wembley of the North (stop tittering in the cheap seats) and I wouldn’t wish the misery of the National League on them, not now we look safe anyway!!

Having watched Barnet on Saturday I’m not surprised they look doomed - awful side with no attempt to play football that made Newport look like Citeh!!! Chesterfield, on the other hand, were a delightful surprise yesterday and thoroughly deserved to beat County and their dubious tactics (Ameobi and friends throwing their arms around and then themselves to the floor). I fancy Grimsby to finish below them, and possibly Morecambe and the Vale too.

Survival in the League - particularly with a squad that was chosen by the manager and heralded at the time as being good and strong - is not an 'achievement'. Dave Artell is going to have to learn that arguing vehemently with the 4th official, instead of watching the game, is not the way to behave.

That said, I have been impressed with the commitment on the pitch of late; it's great to see Bowery (and I've always liked his work rate) scoring; the latest loans are doing the business; and 'our own' are demonstrating the underlying value of the Academy. For most of this season and nearly all of last, travelling to Gresty Road was a chore and only done because of the lovely people I sit with and the constant banter. In the last few weeks it's been much more of a pleasure to be entertained on the pitch.

I now think we can win every game until May 5. Whether we do or not is a different matter. Let's stick with Artell: he's got the team working as one, and some players have stepped up a long way. Now if he'd just show passion where it matters and control the silly berating of officials, I'd be well satisfied.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast