+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Please go now, Artell

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Bang on fella. Unfortunately most if not all posts lead us down the Academy path.
    As I said, all threads lead to the academy because that is central to EVERY decision made at the club even to having no option but to keep Dave Artell to get back to the OP because we can't afford to pay him off or afford a new manager..

Anyway, there is little traffic on this site as it is and so nobody should care about going off topic imo at least.

Its not actually crap that everything is better than 50 years ago because many things are not as good as they were and I say again, unless you saw the Alex teams and the great players of the past, you cannot have a valid opinion on them compared with the present day. I never saw Stan Matthews play but as far as I know he never suffered a serious injury nor did Jimmy Greaves or George Best. Being tough and shoulder charging and getting stuck in was part and parcel of the game as it was not meant to be ballet dancing and well, I just don't think watching kids playing would have gone down that well and the fact that many today prefer to see them means they lack a basic understanding of natural ability and what football is actually...If you think we play exciting and good football then I'm sorry but you missed out. A bit like the 60's music being the best era ever for popular music that has not been surpassed. It never will imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Bang on fella. Unfortunately most if not all posts lead us down the Academy path.
    As I said, all threads lead to the academy because that is central to EVERY decision made at the club even to having no option but to keep Dave Artell to get back to the OP because we can't afford to pay him off or afford a new manager..

Anyway, there is little traffic on this site as it is and so nobody should care about going off topic imo at least.

Its not actually crap that everything is better than 50 years ago because many things are not as good as they were and I say again, unless you saw the Alex teams and the great players of the past, you cannot have a valid opinion on them compared with the present day. I never saw Stan Matthews play but as far as I know he never suffered a serious injury nor did Jimmy Greaves or George Best. Being tough and shoulder charging and getting stuck in was part and parcel of the game as it was not meant to be ballet dancing and well, I just don't think watching kids playing would have gone down that well and the fact that many today prefer to see them means they lack a basic understanding of natural ability and what football is actually...If you think we play exciting and good football then I'm sorry but you missed out. A bit like the 60's music being the best era ever for popular music that has not been surpassed. It never will imo.

All Alex roads lead back to the Academy until someone decides what a bloody waste of money they were...Great players and good players don't need coaching. They never did and the basics of playing this game have only changed for the worse.

Jimmy Greaves asked his manager at the time how he wanted him to play and he said, just go out and enjoy the game Son and that was the only instruction he needed. In fact his way of playing could not be found in the coaching manual anymore than Rodney Jack working in our academy and producing what?????????????????Pie If Mourinho is as good a coach as they make out, how come he and all the rest have to bring in foreign players? Hundreds of millions going into PL academies for less than 1% success? I think that supports my case rather than most and why England have been so poor in recent world cups..

Night night!
    Last edited by MikeSB; 17-04-2018 at 06:28 PM.

If I was Artell and just read all of this, I'd walk.
    At least WBW would get his wish.
    Last edited by somersetcrewe; 17-04-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post

All Alex roads lead back to the Academy until someone decides what a bloody waste of money they were...Great players and good players don't need coaching. They never did and the basics of playing this game have only changed for the worse.

Jimmy Greaves asked his manager at the time how he wanted him to play and he said, just go out and enjoy the game Son and that was the only instruction he needed. In fact his way of playing could not be found in the coaching manual anymore than Rodney Jack working in our academy and producing what?????????????????Pie If Mourinho is as good a coach as they make out, how come he and all the rest have to bring in foreign players? Hundreds of millions going into PL academies for less than 1% success? I think that supports my case rather than most and why England have been so poor in recent world cups..

Night night!
    Random thoughts
    1) I must have the attention span of a gnat. I see the daily X3/4 diatribe from Mike, and don't even bother/can't be arsed to read
    2) it's the samepost with slight variations every time
    3) do you have to mention J Greaves every post?
    4) then was then, this is now. Things are different, accept it.
    5) the academy is not perfect, but has kept us in the league this season, and will do next season.
    6) how old are you Mike? 85?
    7) I played my first game of 'proper' football 45 years ago. We were a team of very talented players. We had never been coached. The opposition had, for many years (10+) we lost 36-0. Coaching even in those days worked.

I have been watching tbe alex since 1976 i have seen some poor crewe teams. Those were the days wbere the bottom 4 clubs sought re-election and we spent most of our time in tbe bottom 4. I think mike SB has forgotten those years. What we see today has moved on from those days and Dario changed it and we started to improve as a team, he made the players he had better and coaching was the way he did it. If he had carried on with the MikeSB method we would be out of business now. I'm sorry Mike but I don't remember 1968 I do remember the end of the 1970's when we got the record for the least number of points ever recorded by a league football team, in the days when it was 2 points for a win and we finished the season with 27 points, the good old days, not.
    Last edited by Gobstopper; 18-04-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    I have been watching tbe alex since 1976 i have seen some poor crewe teams. Those were the days wbere the bottom 4 clubs sought re-election and we spent most of our time in tbe bottom 4. I think mike SB has forgotten those years. What we see today has moved on from those days and Dario changed it and we started to improve as a team, he made the players he had better and coaching was the way he did it. If he had carried on with the MikeSB method we would be out of business now. I'm sorry Mike but I don't remember 1968 I do remember the end of the 1970's when we got the record for the least number of points ever recorded by a league football team, in the days when it was 2 points for a win and we finished the season with 27 points, the good old days, not.
    And on the subject of Dario, would he have survived as long as he did had he been managing the Alex for the last 10 years!. I suspect not because patience and understanding of the concept seems, at times, in short supply. And going back to the title of the thread, I am going to say Dave, please don't go!

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    I have forgotten nothing but some of you need reminding of the ACTUAL situation..

Here is Crewe's league record over the years..

http://www.crewealexandra-mad.co.uk/...eague-history/

The sixties which me and Mick remember so well was a very successful period for us..To us it was as good as anything we have seen since..

The seventies were extremely poor that goes without saying but have you see the last TEN years where even Timmy has admitted that Dario would have been sacked with that record and that is with the world class academy we have and all the best facilities we have had in our history..

So one decade out of the last 100 plus years and some of you think we spent all that time in the bottom four to hear you talk.

No, you see when the FACTS are produced it leaves some of you with egg on your faces and you don't like it do you.

Greaves is mentioned because he was one of the best players in the world at the time and someone whom I watched a number of occasions and he has the same opinion on coaching as I do...

Where has all this coaching been the last TEN years then if its so good?

I say again, I rest my case..

Yours is bluster, mine are based on facts and personal experience..

Don't forget to add THIS season to another dismal one too..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 18-04-2018 at 11:35 AM.

The sixties were successful in the fact that there were 2 promotions but only one season in the higher league each time. Only one promotion but 6 years in the higher league
    I too saw Frank Lord and could he head a ball. Ron Smith charging down the wing a cross to the far post where Frank would be waiting.
    In today's game would they have been successful, more that likely but they would have had to be fitter and who knows a bit of coaching may have helped them play at a higher level than they did.
    People will always compare the past with today but look at the statistics. Todays athletes are breaking records all the time due to better nutrition, better facilities and dare I say it, more coaching.
    Look at our ground today with its all round seater stadium and toilets, no going to the GR end for the hole in the ground, all provided by the money from sales of our academy players so not just the team as benefitted.
    I bet the likes of Stockport, Chester, Tranmere and Wrexham wish they had invested in an academy

I enjoyed the 60s at GR but I would much rather watch todays games as the standard is far higher

Oh and on the topic of discussion DA and KL please stay

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post

The seventies were extremely poor that goes without saying but have you see the last TEN years where even Timmy has admitted that Dario would have been sacked with that record and that is with the world class academy we have and all the best facilities we have had in our history..
    I did not say he would have been sacked, I said "would he have escaped the sack" and that is not because of his failings but because of outside pressure by people launching all sorts of abuse on social media which was not as prevalent in his day.
    With regard to this season being a dismal one, i beg to differ. Results haven't always been what we would have wanted but the standard of football has been more in line with the Dario days along with some of the eccentric comments from our manager, bless him

Dario would certainly have been fired by other clubs despite his enormous achievements. However, the manager-go-round is much more pronounced today and managers are given a ridiculously short time to deliver success.

It is a case of being careful what you wish for at Crewe. I do sometimes hear news of a lower division club being purchased by a foreign owner and think "why not Crewe?" I then think of Orient.
    Last edited by Furberstreet; 18-04-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast