+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Immediate thoughts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Munksyb View Post
    Ive followed the Blades since 1962/3 this is the best footballing team I've seen us have, including Woody/Badger , Jones
    Jota 8m/ Birchenall , Currie , Agana / Dean , and the successfull semi finals teams involving Jags / Pescisolido / Tonge
    Michael Brown

This is the best footballing team I've seen in Blades shirts,
    We've just come up from League 1 and Chris is building his squad, of very good players into a team, If it happens in the first year that will be amazing, but realistically Holmes / Leonard et al will take a bit of time to blend into a team.

Wolves have a Huuuuuge Budget and very few Brits., and we pretty much matched them other than the finishing

12 months ago would any of you have thought we could comfortably have matched a team costing
    Coady 2m
    Douglas 1m
    Neves 15.8 m
    Costa 13 m
    Jota 8m
    Cavaliero 7n

over 50m and probably much more

We are playing great football & doing it the right way

In Chris Wilder I do trust
    “We matched them apart from the finishing” Apart from them scoring 3 and we didn’t then it was pretty even 🙈

We move on.

I've decided to forget tonight (alcohol helps)

Quote Originally Posted by boltonblade View Post
    “We matched them apart from the finishing” Apart from them scoring 3 and we didn’t then it was pretty even ��

We move on.
    Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    I've decided to forget tonight (alcohol helps)
    Definitely! (Hic)

I take it as a positive that people are so angry because we have lost to a team comfortably top of the Championship who have spent many millions and are brimming with confidence. I thought we may be angry if we lost to a team in the bottom 3 but to be so upset that we lost to Wolves shows how far we have come.

If anything our brilliant start to the season raised expectations way too high. I worry that if we don’t make the play offs after such a great start it may be some time before the chance comes again but in fairness to Wilder in many recent games we have been beaten by moments of brilliance that only money can buy and we don’t have that.

I think we should cut them slack, admire how far we have come since Adkins lap of shame and wait to see where we end up this season.

Frustration can lead to all kinds of strange decisions, but Stearman as an example, has been great for several games since he came in. One poor one and we want him gone? Really?? We also shouldn't get carried away with how much the opposition team cost. Dear Lord, Madines just been bought for £6m. Its meaningless. We didn't care when we were beating them every week. Its an excuse. Its our performances that haven't recovered since the Coutts injury. We slipped across the line from good enough to not quite good enough.

Other teams have seen us and worked out that if they stay deep and crowd us out in the flanks they can nullify our play. We were like Wolves last year. L1 teams knew what we were going to do but they couldn't answer us. Championship teams can. No bones about it. This is about system and tactics. CW has to find some magic from somewhere. We have been slipping down the table for the last 15 games and we need to turn it around. However, at this stage of our development, 'smash it up and start again' would appear to be the very essence of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Frustration can lead to all kinds of strange decisions, but Stearman as an example, has been great for several games since he came in. One poor one and we want him gone? Really?? We also shouldn't get carried away with how much the opposition team cost. Dear Lord, Madines just been bought for £6m. Its meaningless. We didn't care when we were beating them every week. Its an excuse. Its our performances that haven't recovered since the Coutts injury. We slipped across the line from good enough to not quite good enough.

Other teams have seen us and worked out that if they stay deep and crowd us out in the flanks they can nullify our play. We were like Wolves last year. L1 teams knew what we were going to do but they couldn't answer us. Championship teams can. No bones about it. This is about system and tactics. CW has to find some magic from somewhere. We have been slipping down the table for the last 15 games and we need to turn it around. However, at this stage of our development, 'smash it up and start again' would appear to be the very essence of stupidity.
    You get a thumbs up from me! Regret the stearman out comment. Not the others though.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonblade View Post
    You get a thumbs up from me! Regret the stearman out comment. Not the others though.
    Understanding and patience needed BB. If you were climbing Everest, you don't do it in one go. You have a series of camps where you regroup and prepare for the next stage of the climb. I think that's where we are, half way up the mountain.

There is still a (slim) chance of play-offs, but for me, really, its about getting the new boys settled in, tweak the system, build again in the summer and be ready for a full challenge next season. If not next season, build, tweak and go the one after.

Fortunately, the football is still (in the main...) really enjoyable. I wouldn't like to lose that in the drive for promotion (back to Blackwell, anyone..?). I suppose this is the question. If we had to have one, which would we prefer? Success or enjoyment?*

*I know someone is going to say 'we want both'...

We'd all like both but if I had to choose I think I'm in the minority by saying enjoyment to some one goes hand in glove with the other but not for me I remember being pretty hacked off until the last couple of games of Colin's march to the prem with how we played it wasn't good to watch but it got the job done. I'd much rather watch this side win lose or (very rarely) draw,and having seen us in the land of milk and honey and playing against 12 every week and dodgey decisions I won't get too down if we don't get there,I love watching us now we're exciting to watch borne out by the number of times sky have picked us for live games,chris must be doing something right yes we could close the shop door and go back to being boring blades but for me this is so much more fun,long may it continue

wonder if chris might change to the 4 2 3 1 system he played at northampton especially in away games could have duffy holmes and brooks when fit as the 3 behind the striker in any case weve now got a 16 game season starting next saturday play offs are remote now but win next 2 home games and were back in the mix

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast