+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blind Support.

Blind Support.

Sorry chaps,if I can't do it for big Sam(my personal fav rovers manager overall), I won't do it for anyone. Nobody escapes warranted criticism.

Criticism, in this context, comes as part and parcel of debate. I would though offer up ' voicing of opinion' as a more non confrontation tack. That's all well and good on forums.
    I myself was in the camp of not seeing GB as a man who was IMO not going to deliver promotion to Prem. That was just me voicing opinion not criticism. I explained that my reasoning was that he seemed to me to be of a too cautious nature. This, I was taken to task on, which is fine because this is a forum. Who's to say if I was incorrectly concerned, we'll now never know.
    Unfortunately subsequent selected managers were proven to be poorer.
    Now with TM I have earlier voiced my similar minor concern, but this is at level div 1, not reaching for Prem. Plus, after the earlier two managers at least TM is a more palatable guy for both owners and supporters. Added to which we are actually in a reasonable position, despite your fears of us falling away.
    Despite too many draws (which everyone agrees on) some of us feel that TM just may see the course out and deliver, whereas some see no hope. That's what causes the discord.
    You say he has to learn fast, but I'm not too sure what this elder statesman manager at this level needs to learn?
    If by this you mean be more bold / adventurous that's fine, and the adage 'fortune favours the brave' comes to mind.
    However that is not always the case, far from it. Being too 'adventurous' is pushing your luck!

Even in my advanced years my outdoor exploits involve mountains an goin up em, no matter what.
    Back in late sept I was scaling a new for me un conquered peak, an although it had snowed a couple of days before and this was a northern flank I battled regardless. I managed the peak because my obstinacy took over, but at the cost of minor frostbite on three fingers on both hands (in sufficiently prepared as it turned out).
    I may have felt chuffed that I had endured the challenge, but on sober reflection gave myself a bit of a *******ing for being not a little stupid. That was criticism towards myself for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Criticism, in this context, comes as part and parcel of debate. I would though offer up ' voicing of opinion' as a more non confrontation tack. That's all well and good on forums.
    I myself was in the camp of not seeing GB as a man who was IMO not going to deliver promotion to Prem. That was just me voicing opinion not criticism. I explained that my reasoning was that he seemed to me to be of a too cautious nature. This, I was taken to task on, which is fine because this is a forum. Who's to say if I was incorrectly concerned, we'll now never know.
    Unfortunately subsequent selected managers were proven to be poorer.
    Now with TM I have earlier voiced my similar minor concern, but this is at level div 1, not reaching for Prem. Plus, after the earlier two managers at least TM is a more palatable guy for both owners and supporters. Added to which we are actually in a reasonable position, despite your fears of us falling away.
    Despite too many draws (which everyone agrees on) some of us feel that TM just may see the course out and deliver, whereas some see no hope. That's what causes the discord.
    You say he has to learn fast, but I'm not too sure what this elder statesman manager at this level needs to learn?
    If by this you mean be more bold / adventurous that's fine, and the adage 'fortune favours the brave' comes to mind.
    However that is not always the case, far from it. Being too 'adventurous' is pushing your luck!

Even in my advanced years my outdoor exploits involve mountains an goin up em, no matter what.
    Back in late sept I was scaling a new for me un conquered peak, an although it had snowed a couple of days before and this was a northern flank I battled regardless. I managed the peak because my obstinacy took over, but at the cost of minor frostbite on three fingers on both hands (in sufficiently prepared as it turned out).
    I may have felt chuffed that I had endured the challenge, but on sober reflection gave myself a bit of a *******ing for being not a little stupid. That was criticism towards myself for sure.
    If you listen to aucks, there's no such thing as a negative manager. He seems to think you can't send the same players out to play with a different mentality from one match to the next. Ludicrous.

Against Walsall we clearly was sent out to attack from the word go. Against Plymouth we clearly was instructed to contain and counter attack. Nothing wrong with the second approach, providing your team are capable of defending and containing, which we clearly aren't.

Saxo - you have totally misinterpreted what I said.
    My main moan is that so many fans see "simple" solutions.
    Play Payne instead of Conway.
    Focus only on attack.
    Do something about the defence, because it's leaking too many soft goals.

if getting it right was that simple, wouldn't MORE managers get MORE things right MORE often?

There are two teams out there, eleven against eleven. There are a huge number of dynamic elements at play. Team A's set-up and style makes it easier for Team B to do well against than Team C.

But for critical fans? Oh, no! It's easy: if the manager had done this instead of that, everything would have been fine. They don't seem to notice that they are changing the "this" all the time.
    So far, this season, for example (and this is just a sample!) we have had:
    >Graham is past it. We should get rid of him and play Nuttall every week.
    >We are too defensive. If we went for all-out attack, we would wipe the floor with everybody.
    >Mowbray is setting us up wrong because we are conceding too many goals.
    >We can't win if we don't play Chapman instead of Bennett.
    And so on...
    We went on an unbeaten 18-match run; we have the second-highest "goals scored" tally; we have the third best defensive record...neverthelesss, Mowbray is getting it all wrong
    Most ludicrous of all, we change ONE player (winger for midfielder), and the critics are suggesting Mowbray set us up to play like Northampton.
    Saxo - unless you can get out of this "every time there is a set-back, it is the manager's fault" syndrome, we are going to find it very difficult to have a meaningful discussion. Sometimes a team has a bad day. Sometimes, a particular style of opposition means it is harder for your own to team to gel. THIS HAPPENS ON THE PITCH. IT IS NOT SOMETHING ANYONE CAN READ 100% IN ADVANCE!
    Apart from anything else, this obsession with the manager suggests that players are robots with no will and no responsibilities. Is that REALLY what you believe?
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 05-02-2018 at 12:24 AM.

Saxo, have you ever been on a football pitch? if so, do you remember spending every minute thinking about the manager's instructions?
    The general formation may be set in advance, but - as in all sports - 90% of the game is reacting to what's in front of you!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 05-02-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Saxo, have you ever been on a football pitch? if so, do you remember spending every minute thinking about the manager's instructions?
    The general formation may be set in advance, but - as in all sports - 90% of the game is reacting to what's in front of you!
    Have I ever been on a pitch? 11 a side, not much. 7 a side? Every Monday for over 10 years.

Aucks, I don't have to agree with your ideas for us to talk about this. We've disagreed on your philosophy for a long time. Its never held us back before.

Can I make clear again too that replacing the manager is NOT an option. The club has backed him too much now in terms of players brought in and executive staff to just kick him out. He retains my backing, but not without criticism if I feel he doing wrong.

I can't be clearer than that.

I hope both you and champs continue to engage with me, even if I infuriate you. Champs thinks I'm a cock, fair does, I think he, and yourself aucks are fascinating characters and I love to talk to you on here.

WE DONT HAVE AGREE..

*TO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)