+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So, what went so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Last issue for me is Shola and 4-4-2. I don't have the statistics, but it seems to me there is a direct correlation between us winning and him starting the game. Maybe it's his presence, maybe it's the formation, although starting Forte doesn't seem to have the same effect.
    Agree about the correlation. It may seem pointless to focus on team selection when we were so comprehensively beaten, but the 3 players we left out from Saturday: Hewitt - gives us energy & grit in midfield, Shola - gives us a CF with presence & ability to hold the ball up, and Jones - gives us the pace at LB that we so sorely missed.

Playing Virtue and Husin as a midfield duo has now been tried 3 times and we've lost all 3 games. Having a midfield pairing with the combined age of Alan Smith (almost) surely was a big ask against our toughest opposition of the season?

A sensible and realistic post on facebook last night from Don O'Riordan. Copied here for those who havent seen it...

"Well I slept well which meant I missed the game on the BBC player here in China but woke to see the result and it was a shock I have to say. Didn't see anything of the game as yet so can't comment on the performance. Yes it's a little bit embarrassing but we were never going to win the FA cup and all I worry about is whether confidence has been affected amongst the squad prior to a massive game away to Barnet on Saturday. Kevin Nolan was appointed to get this team up and anything extra is a bonus and a run this far in the cup was financially beneficial for the club. These replayed games away against an EPL team are never going to be easy especially when the game is live on national tv. Let's take the run up to tonight's game and use the positives to help us achieve the main goal which is promotion. This game is gone done and dusted so forget it and move on. Last Saturday was a massive high great crowd great win, that's our bread and butter not going to Swansea midweek expecting to win. We swallow our pride and focus on winning away Saturday and getting back into the top 2 and winning automatic promotion. Nothing will be gained from moaning on here about last night's game, it's pointless, the target remains the same and just like last Saturday when the lads went a goal down and the fans inspired the team to get the win and precious 3 points. The best performance last night I read came from the away fans and that's what's required for every game between now and Luton at home. Be realistic and move on and see the cup run as a positive when we stayed in the competition longer than many much bigger clubs than Notts."

Great stuff! That's made me feel a bit better....

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    A sensible and realistic post on facebook last night from Don O'Riordan. Copied here for those who havent seen it...

"Well I slept well which meant I missed the game on the BBC player here in China but woke to see the result and it was a shock I have to say. Didn't see anything of the game as yet so can't comment on the performance. Yes it's a little bit embarrassing but we were never going to win the FA cup and all I worry about is whether confidence has been affected amongst the squad prior to a massive game away to Barnet on Saturday. Kevin Nolan was appointed to get this team up and anything extra is a bonus and a run this far in the cup was financially beneficial for the club. These replayed games away against an EPL team are never going to be easy especially when the game is live on national tv. Let's take the run up to tonight's game and use the positives to help us achieve the main goal which is promotion. This game is gone done and dusted so forget it and move on. Last Saturday was a massive high great crowd great win, that's our bread and butter not going to Swansea midweek expecting to win. We swallow our pride and focus on winning away Saturday and getting back into the top 2 and winning automatic promotion. Nothing will be gained from moaning on here about last night's game, it's pointless, the target remains the same and just like last Saturday when the lads went a goal down and the fans inspired the team to get the win and precious 3 points. The best performance last night I read came from the away fans and that's what's required for every game between now and Luton at home. Be realistic and move on and see the cup run as a positive when we stayed in the competition longer than many much bigger clubs than Notts."

Wise words, and very true... I think the other good thing is that the squad stopped over last night and have another training session this morning to put things into perspective and move on for the Barnet game.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    First 2 goals in just over a minute

Going in at half-time 3 down when we'd had our best spell just before that, Scored and were only 2 down. Why when 2 minutes were added did the ref go over and they scored in 2.20 when at end of game he only went 7 secs over?

Whole team looked over-awed, no fight, no bite, no threat upfront.
    I get fed up of KN continually taking the piss out of our supporters who having travelled all the way to Swansea, only for him to put out another joke team of no-hopers, and to make it worse revert back to the failed 4 5 1 tripe. Its no joke watching that garbage and then having to contend road diversions on the way home.. Oh and by the way, Virtu needs to be sent back, he is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    Agree about the correlation. It may seem pointless to focus on team selection when we were so comprehensively beaten, but the 3 players we left out from Saturday: Hewitt - gives us energy & grit in midfield, Shola - gives us a CF with presence & ability to hold the ball up, and Jones - gives us the pace at LB that we so sorely missed.

Playing Virtue and Husin as a midfield duo has now been tried 3 times and we've lost all 3 games. Having a midfield pairing with the combined age of Alan Smith (almost) surely was a big ask against our toughest opposition of the season?
    Nolan is probably under obligation to play Virtue but the fact is on his performances so far hes not good enough to start with him, He should be used gradually and to start with him and Husin again just weakens the side. How many supporters would have gone to Swansea if they knew the team Nolan selected!

Maybe the cracks that have been papered over this season have finally been exposed? Just hope we can bounce back at Barnet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123