+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, what went so wrong?

I ain't gonna try and pick the bones of that one. What I will say though is Brisley doesn't look the same player he was earlier in the season. He's looked knackered the last few games. Time to give the lad a rest I think.

1. Why can’t Dickinson tackle ?
    2. Why can’t Dickinson stop crosses ?

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    1. Why can’t Dickinson tackle ?
    2. Why can’t Dickinson stop crosses ?
    He is borderline too slow for L2. He had the speed of an advertising hoarding yesterday.

We were slow last night missed a couple of important players. But we are a div 4 side not alot better than non league playing against premiership. I am not sure but the pitch looked bigger than ours. Bony getting injured didnt help cos hes slow which helped us in the first game. Nahsing dyer routledge way too quick and skilful with abraham in behind creating space. In league 2 you get the odd quick skilful player per team and not with the finishing ability With var being used if we got too tight or in their faces we would probably of got a couple sent off. All in all a good run now lets get promoted.
    Come on you pies

I think what went wrong is simple. Swansea played to their capability and Notts played below theirs.
    Pointing fingers at individuals is pointless. We played the players we played, I don’t think there was much more that could be done in terms of team selection. Like Swansea we are missing key players. Unlike Swansea we don’t have countless replacements. Routledge has hardly played all season, on his day he is top class, as is Dyer.
    BBC mentioned that our budget is 2 million for the season, Swansea will have that and more A WEEK. Let that sink in.
    If we had got amongst them with League 2 tackles we would probably have had men sent off as Prem referees don’t like tough tackles, still lost the game, but then had players missing for our more important fixtures.
    If you want to put the game in to perspective please take a listen to the Swansea managers thoughts.
    I hope the Notts players keep faith in themselves and their team mates and don’t read some of the tripe on here.

Good level headed post Notts 78 .were not premier league we don't have a massive budget we do the best with what we have ,Swansea were on their game and were wasn't it happens ,I'd have took survival in mid table after last year .county till I die .e proud of the progress made by KN and AH and the team is the way forward .

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Questions for the post mortem;

1.) Was 4-5-1 the best formation to use with Stead up front on this own?

2.) Would we have been too exposed playing 4-4-2?

2.) Why so many changes from Sat, squad rotation fair enough.

3.) Would it be fair to say that Husin and Virtue are too inexperienced to play together in a central midfield?

4.) Did we give Swansea too much respect?
    I have been at work for half an hour and am getting dogs' abuse from Derby and Forest fans.

They say Notts were a disgrace regardless of the gulf in class.

A team of old slow men with no ability to pass a football or tackle.

Is that the best L2 can offer ? etc etc

Roll on 5pm

To me it looked like master craftsmen showing apprentices how it's done.

Have to agree we looked slow and gave them far too much room in our half.

Last nights performance encompassed all that has been bad about Notts this season. There was nothing that we haven't commented on before. Lack of pace, questionable set up, huge gap between midfield and forwards, too much space for opposition when they put a man in 'the hole', lack of movement off the ball, sitting too deep and giving away the initiative, one dimensional. We have seen it all before. What we didn't see last night were the better aspects of our season so far. The grit, determination, spirit and pride which has helped us to cover over the deficiencies and compete with anyone who we have come up against. The difference was that Swansea are not a league two side and were able to exploit to the full our lacklustre, unadventurous approach to the full. They exuded quality and class all over the field and we could never come to terms with either their pace or their movement. We were rabbits in the headlights. Their finishing was exemplary, not something we have seen at League 2 level, and served only to confirm the huge gulf between the teams on the night.

I agree about the huge gulf but in the past we have raised our game and at least put up some resistance.

I realise he's done a great job and no, I don't want to bring back Fullarton, but Nolan has to take some blame for the performance last night. Maybe is AH's fault for building him up as a future England manager, because he has a lot to learn. He seems to slip into this Premiership way of thinking that players can't play 3 games per week and have to be rested. This usually happens for midweek games. It actually worked at Exeter but ever since it seems to have made us weaker. It's a luxury we can't afford at our level and we don't have the squad to carry it off.

I guess there was some pressure to play Matty Virtue though, given where he came from and AH's emotional response to securing a player from the team he supports. But if is he's not good enough he shouldn't start, whether that offends Liverpool or not.

Last issue for me is Shola and 4-4-2. I don't have the statistics, but it seems to me there is a direct correlation between us winning and him starting the game. Maybe it's his presence, maybe it's the formation, although starting Forte doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast