+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Venables

As complex as it is, and it is very complex, there has to be some sort of public protection against Venables and Thompson. I can understand why the law has given them their identities, as I don’t think they would last 24 hours if it was released, but we are talking about a guy who has committed a horrific crime at such a young age, with abduction and murder being only part of said crime, who has now been released and has gone on to reoffend. Should he no not be tried as an adult with his identity now revealed?

It is clear his rehabilitation never worked. How do you even rehabilitate a boy of that age who has committed such a crime. The truth is, he was always going to end up f*cked up and any chance at a normal life was never going to materialise. I personally don’t think these guys should ever have been released back into society in the first place. Investigators and psychologists at the time of the murder said there was a ***ual element to the killing and that of the two, Venables was actually the lesser evil of the two kids. He has now gone on to reoffend and it’s the second time he has been caught with these sort of images. ,

My point is, I can understand why they are protected, but Venables is clearly a danger to the public, particularly kids. If he gets off on kiddie **** after the crimes he committed, then he isn’t going to all of a sudden become a decent human being. Not that I can understand how that crime affected him mentally, to now move onto Kiddie **** is seriously f*cked up. He was clearly failed by his parents, the law and by those who were meant to rehabilitate him and he will suffer the consequences of that for his entire life, but at what point do you say enough is enough and the decision is made to take him out of society for good.

The parents of that little boy will always be haunted by his death, but to see one the murderers go on to commit further crimes, some relating to kids and only get 40 months for it , is unforgiveable.

I wouldve thought the latest charges against him were probably a lot to do with his own self loathing but as I said, these calls are best left to the experts.

I just can’t see what the benefit to the public would be to release their identities. It could only end one way. That said, if folk in jail want to kick the sh1t out him, I don’t really have a problem with that either. Must be a f*kn nightmare handling these two

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I remember watching the 2 guys at that funeral on the news, its pretty grim.

I’m watching the Ken Burns Vietnam doc just now & during the last one, one of the grunts was talking about the ‘veneer of civilisation’. Scratch of the thin surface & we all pretty quickly become c*nts. I suppose that’s what happened to those two at the funeral & what would happen if Venebles & Thompsons identities were released.
    It's almost as good as the civil war documentary.

The issue is the killers were ten years old. Just over the age of criminal responsibility. We have the youngest age of criminal responsibility by a feckin mile in Britain compared to the rest of Europe. The crime was horrendous if it happened to my child I would want both of them strung up but that's not the point. Thompson by all accounts has been rehabilitated. Should they just have locked him up and thrown away the key ?

Venables is going through the criminal justice system as an adult now and will be dealt with accordingly. There is no reason to remove his anonymity.

The recent Channel 4 documentary was very good. Kelvin McKenzie is just a scumbag pandering to the lynch mob masses.

Agree with all of that, especially the bit about Kelvin McKenzie being a scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    It's almost as good as the civil war documentary.
    Everybody should be made to watch that.

I read the Shelbey Foote books the doc was based on. Time consuming but brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Everybody should be made to watch that.

I read the Shelbey Foote books the doc was based on. Time consuming but brilliant
    I have never watched it. Heard loads of folk say its great, but as much as i am into history, the ACW is something that i have never studied. I may give it a go though if it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post
    I have never watched it. Heard loads of folk say its great, but as much as i am into history, the ACW is something that i have never studied. I may give it a go though if it is worth it.
    It’s on Netflix & other slightly dodgier sites.

I’m of the opinion the good guys lost it

Christ I had forgotten how young the two of them were when they took him away. F*ckin 10 years old. I wonder how much contact the families have had with them since their release. At ten years old a lot of the blame should lie squarely with the 2 sets of parents.

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    Christ I had forgotten how young the two of them were when they took him away. F*ckin 10 years old. I wonder how much contact the families have had with them since their release. At ten years old a lot of the blame should lie squarely with the 2 sets of parents.
    It’s the nature vs nurture argument. On the one hand it’s easy to blame the parents, after all, both of the kids often played truant from school and the parents used to let them, but I don’t think either could have predicted or even been at total fault for what happened!
    Last edited by Stupie82; 08-02-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast