+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Billions lost to tax dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I know nothing of the Duke's affairs NZ but if he can legally avoid paying the iniquitous Inheritance Tax good for him. I do know about my sister though, she had a good job and a handicapped daughter, her husband had buggered off years ago and her life consisted of work, caring for her daughter, and watching Burnley's home games, and that was it, no holidays. She died a few years back and left her money to her son and daughter, but as she had been unable to spend much of her wage over her lifetime it had gone over the threshold for Inheritance Tax. She worked all her life, she paid her taxes, what moral right did the government have to take from her estate, her money which she wished to leave to her children ? Inheritance Tax is nothing more than legalised theft imo.
    Hey, I'm absolutely with you on that one. If anyone has earned money and wants to pass it down then why should they be taxed again for dying, I was just using Duke of Westminster as an example of how mega rich can manipulate the system while the ones further down the chain get stiffed. It is ironic however that those who naturally vote Labour, students and low paid etc are the ones who scream the loudest when tax cuts are mentioned when they contribute very little or sod all themselves. Soap dodgers are tax dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    But many of Jeremy’s supporters don’t pay much tax, they get tax free benefits or reduce their taxable income by asking for cash payments or by not putting sales through the till or books or not declaring tips. Some even go begging on the streets and take the money home.
    This is a two way street BT. Spongers are just as bad as avoiders and both take money out of the economy. Though some avoiders do sa legally. Tax evaders are the real target ... as are spongers.

I see Luis Suarez has plead guilty and accepted a 16 month suspended jail sentence in Spain for dodging nearly £1m in tax.
    He has paid the money back (two weeks wages) and will only serve his time if he goes astray again

Jezza swept the board among the economically productive at the last election.

link: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7788696.html

I know nothing of the Duke's affairs NZ but if he can legally avoid paying the iniquitous Inheritance Tax good for him. I do know about my sister though, she had a good job and a handicapped daughter, her husband had buggered off years ago and her life consisted of work, caring for her daughter, and watching Burnley's home games, and that was it, no holidays. She died a few years back and left her money to her son and daughter, but as she had been unable to spend much of her wage over her lifetime it had gone over the threshold for Inheritance Tax. She worked all her life, she paid her taxes, what moral right did the government have to take from her estate, her money which she wished to leave to her children ? Inheritance Tax is nothing more than legalised theft imo.
    You omit to mention how much state help your sister received to look after her child. I imagine the IHT didn't even begin to cover it.

Of course it's all worth chasing up 59/60, if anyone is illegally evading paying tax then go for them. The point of that piece though is that the amounts that were allegedly out there waiting to be reclaimed were wildly exaggerated. All those doctors, nurses, new hospitals etc that it was claimed could be funded by a clampdown on rich individuals and corporate tax dodging, turns out it was just Labour getting their sums wrong again.
    The 'egregious' Richard Murphy suggests the tax gap is 120bn of which 20bn a year is collectable.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...s-collectable/
    Last edited by footy_le_bordel; 08-02-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by footy_le_bordel View Post

Well by 4-6 % - is that sweeping?
    But much more so amongst unemployed, not working, other and student groups who of course benefit from their own tax avoidance.

There is no consensus as to the real amount so it is pointless arguing about the actual figure.

But people are illegally evading paying their fair share and I think we all agree that they should be brought to book.

Same as fraudsters.

Same as scroungers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    There is no consensus as to the real amount so it is pointless arguing about the actual figure.

But people are illegally evading paying their fair share and I think we all agree that they should be brought to book.

Same as fraudsters.

Same as scroungers.
    I wonder how much of the Premier Leagues Income is indirectly taken by the tax man from clubs owners managers and players?
    HMRC have gone quiet on putting clubs out of business recently.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    I wonder how much of the Premier Leagues Income is indirectly taken by the tax man from clubs owners managers and players?
    HMRC have gone quiet on putting clubs out of business recently.
    Except if you are a Hartlepool fan!! They have managed to raise enough to pay HMRC money owing, however, the players and staff are probably not going to get paid again so this is just delaying the inevitable, particularly as a local businessman was hoping to take over the club but this has fallen through because there could well be some other financial irregularities involved.
    Thinking about it in real terms though ---have HMRC put any club out of business ----or---more to the point----if they have succeded with any actions against clubs ---have they ever got their money --thinking of Leeds, Portsmouth etc.

Of course he did --he promised them all the world, in spite of the fact he could never deliver. The reason the retired didn't support him is because they could see through his spin and a lot have had their private pensions decimated by Gordon Brown et al.
    There is also the fact that the elderly get blamed for anything that goes wrong and for living too long so they just stick with what they have always done and vote the way they always have regardless.

You omit to mention how much state help your sister received to look after her child. I imagine the IHT didn't even begin to cover it.
    I've never counted the amount my sister paid in income tax, NI, VAT and the various stealth taxes during her long working life, but I would imagine they covered the allowances she received quite comfortably. My niece certainly received an allowance for the care she required, my sister/ her mother had to go to some lengths to prevent her giving it all away to animal charities, she is a fully paid up member of the loony left as well. My niece now receives 24 hour care while still living in her own home, the cost of this to the Social Services must be staggering, far exceeding what it cost to provide assistance to my sister, so in that respect she was saving the state a fortune while still alive.

What has any of this got to do with government thieving from people's estates when they die ?
    Last edited by sinkov; 08-02-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)