+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Rose and our midfield

Andy Rose and our midfield

With the exception of Campbell our midfield is poor and non-creative. It was clearly evident (again) last night.
    Andy Rose appears to be a Robinson first choice every/majority games … Why?
    My observations are … won’t tackle, won’t challenge in the air for the ball, unwilling to carry ball forward, void of any creative play and gets rid of the ball immediately with short pass, invariably sideways/back. What am I missing .. what does he offer ? I've not forgotten McHugh but does win aerial challenges. I’ve said it before … we have better on the bench

From what I've seen, the midfield looks a lot more solid with Rose playing. He's not fast or flashy, but mops up a lot, wins most 2nd balls ,has good positioning and yes keeps it simple.
    Certainly better than Bigi or Grimshaw and can't think of anyone else ready to step up

I'm by no means a fan of Rose but someone pointed out last night our best performances this season have almost all been when he's been in midfield with McHugh and Campbell - and on reflection, it's hard to deny that. I like Bigi as a player, I think he's one of the only guys in our team with anything approaching footballing technique, but for whatever reason the unit hasn't quite been as effective with him in it.

Rose generally works tremendously hard though sometimes I think the value of what he produces is highly questionable. Robinson is obviously convinced he does his bit. And he did set up a goal yesterday, set up the oggie v Ross County iirc...it's not like his offensive contribution is absolute zero.

On the other hand ... did no-one notice he put the ball on a plate for Campbell to slot the first goal last night? And, a few weeks back, he also setup a goal (scored by someone, against somebody at FP?). Played a cross in from touchline at the disabled shelter and we scored.
    He certainly ain't the best midfielder in the league, but I'd have him in the team before many others in our squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I'm by no means a fan of Rose but someone pointed out last night our best performances this season have almost all been when he's been in midfield with McHugh and Campbell - and on reflection, it's hard to deny that. I like Bigi as a player, I think he's one of the only guys in our team with anything approaching footballing technique, but for whatever reason the unit hasn't quite been as effective with him in it.
    Funny how perceptions differ. I constantly get the feeling that our game improves when Bigi comes on - we change from punt and run to passing on the deck. But he has to be brought on early enough - the last 10 minutes is no use. Overall he doesn’t get the game time for his link-up play to gel with the others. Rose, on the other hand, just seems to wander about almost aimlessly. His passing is just to the first person he sees; only Barcelona can do that successfully! He also doesn’t (can’t?) use his height to advantage, and would never get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by brain View Post
    Funny how perceptions differ. I constantly get the feeling that our game improves when Bigi comes on - we change from punt and run to passing on the deck. But he has to be brought on early enough - the last 10 minutes is no use. Overall he doesn’t get the game time for his link-up play to gel with the others. Rose, on the other hand, just seems to wander about almost aimlessly. His passing is just to the first person he sees; only Barcelona can do that successfully! He also doesn’t (can’t?) use his height to advantage, and would never get my vote.
    It certainly looks better, there's no arguing about that, I just think that results wise we've done better with three workers than two and a passer - depressingly - though I don't have time to go through all the teamsheets. Bigi certainly contributes in his own way but in the system/style Robinson likes, I think he's too often a jack of all trades but master of none type which means he's the one who gets benched.

Quote Originally Posted by brain View Post
    Agree totally and perfectly summarised ..."just seems to wander about"
    Why can't we see what the others can do as IMO could not be worse. Otherwise, why have we signed !
    Watch Rose next game and see if you disagree majority of the above

IMO Rose is an empty jersey when he plays.His work rate is abysmal and he never picks up his oppossite number in the opponents midfield when they push forward leaving our full back with two opposition players to try and mark. Rose fairly regularly fails to jump or win the ball in the air. I think he offers more coming on from the bench than a starting eleven position ��

An 'agree to disagree' moment. IMO Rose puts in a shift, stifles the opposition, and offers something at certain periods of the match. I now think Robinson's game plan at FP is we blank / block the opposition first half, then come out to win the match with a goal or 2 in the 2nd half shooting to the Skelly's end. Certainly ain't pretty, but for the past few games it's worked.

Andy Rose had a great game on Tuesday night and covered every blade of grass. He does a lot of unglamorous spadework. He's exactly the type of box to box player we need but his skill level lets him down a bit. He's the kind of player you don't miss until he's not playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)