+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grant McCann

Grant McCann

Barnsley identify Peterborough's Grant McCann as candidate to succeed Paul Heckingbottom

The Peterborough United manager Grant McCann is one name in contention as Barnsley search for a successor to Paul Heckingbottom with a track record for developing young players.

McCann, 37, played one year at Barnsley, helping them see off relegation from the Championship in 2007, and he fits the bill as a young coach who can improve players in a league where the leading teams boast big recruitment budgets. The former Northern Ireland international has two and a half years on his current deal at Peterborough.

Barnsley have been left shocked by the departure of Heckingbottom to Leeds United this week just days after they announced a new deal for the hometown player and manager who had kept the club in the Championship on one of the division’s smallest budgets. Heckingbottom was a key part of the club’s new ownership strategy under the Chinese-American consortium of Chien Lee and Paul Conway.

McCann took over Peterborough in 2016, and has kept them in contention for the play-offs as well as beating Championship Aston Villa in the FA Cup third round. He was among the youngest coaches to obtain the Uefa Pro License, first working as a coach at Peterborough before being appointed to the first team for the start of last season.

Peterborough have seen the development of Jack Marriott, the current League One top goalscorer, whom McCann signed from Luton Town where the striker was out the team at the end of last season. Marcus Maddison, bought from Conference Premier Gateshead before McCann’s appointment as manager, has also attracted interest with his performances.

Barnsley are shocked by Paul Heckingbottom's departure for Elland Road Credit: Harry Murphy/Getty Images
    Barnsley’s owners also have a controlling stake in the French Ligue 1 club Nice and stressed last month that they would seek to advance the club gradually, while balancing budgets and maintaining its identity. Other contenders include the well-travelled Simon Grayson and Danny Cowley, the Lincoln City manager whose inexperience in the Football League could count against him. Barnsley have appointed the club’s Under-23s manager Paul Harsley on a temporary basis while they hunt for a successor.

Weears this stuff from ESR ?

Izzit Whitey on a Barnsley site?

A like the Nice bit abart "balancing budgets", code for they ent purra penny of their own brass in, summat av been saying forra long time but not believed by many.( Did tha notice ESR that Nice lost ageean at the weekend to Toulouse following their defeat by bottom club Metz)
    Last edited by SBRed48; 08-02-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Underwhelming !!!!

Next

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Underwhelming !!!!

Next
    Likes a flutter

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post

A like the Nice bit abart "balancing budgets", code for they ent purra penny of their own brass in, summat av been saying forra long time but not believed by many.( Did tha notice ESR that Nice lost ageean at the weekend to Toulouse following their defeat by bottom club Metz)

I would respectfully suggest SB that having bought the club complete with assets those said assets are now theirs so it is their money [brass] they are spending
    or do you think that those assets should remain untouched in perpetuity. Plus you've no idea how much money was in the chest have you?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Underwhelming !!!!
    Next
    Yep, can't disagree with that actually. Move along everybody, theres nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post

Well if your going to lose who better to lose to than Toulouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I would respectfully suggest SB that having bought the club complete with assets those said assets are now theirs so it is their money [brass] they are spending
    or do you think that those assets should remain untouched in perpetuity. Plus you've no idea how much money was in the chest have you?
    Tha "balances a budget" by income matching expenditure ovva a certain time period Ziles. Nowt to do with how much Cryne prudently left as a contingency against things like relegation.

Grant Mccann wouldn't be a bad appointment in my view. I liked him as a player and he's doing a great job at Peterborough and has an eye for talented players. Maddison, Marriot and co. Peterborough also play fast paced attacking football.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Grant Mccann wouldn't be a bad appointment in my view. I liked him as a player and he's doing a great job at Peterborough and has an eye for talented players. Maddison, Marriot and co. Peterborough also play fast paced attacking football.
    For next season in League One maybe , right now I'm not so sure .

In my opinion of course .

TGTBT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast