+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T - Cheltenham Festival

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T - Cheltenham Festival

For years I have organised a coach trip to the Cheltenham Festival, and have two spare seats for this year at the bargain price of £60 each. This includes return coach travel from the Royal Concert Hall (09:15) and entry to the Tattersalls enclosure on Wednesday March 14th (Ladies Day) featuring the Queen Mother Champion Chase. As an idea of the value, a Tattersalls ticket alone will cost £55 now, or £60 on the day. This is the World Cup of jump racing, and an event that anyone with even a slight interest in horse racing should experience.

Only available for a few days as I have someone waiting to buy the tickets if the coach places don't sell. Use the 'private message' facility if you are interested or require further information.

Well, Notts certainly know how to ruin a weekend, but one shining light among the gloom was the stylish return of Altior at Newbury today.

A champion waiting to be crowned on March 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Well, Notts certainly know how to ruin a weekend, but one shining light among the gloom was the stylish return of Altior at Newbury today.

A champion waiting to be crowned on March 14th?
    He beat nothing today but I can't see anything beating him at Cheltenham either. Mind you that's probably why the bookies are rich.
    Will be no price either unless you have thousands to bet with.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    He beat nothing today but I can't see anything beating him at Cheltenham either. Mind you that's probably why the bookies are rich.
    Will be no price either unless you have thousands to bet with.
    Extremely harsh to label Politologue as "nothing". He was pretty much the biggest challenge Altior could have faced outside Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by masson View Post
    I don't think you understand how betting works
    There is no mystery at all as to how betting works, the reason the bookies always come out on top is blindingly obvious. Nothing at all bent or crooked as many dimwits suspect, they just form the betting markets with around a built-in 10% profit margin. They love to go to the press saying "XXXX winning cost us £2 million", but what they don't say is that they took £2.2 million on the race, but had to pay out £2 million in winning bets. The advent of online betting with it's numerous offers has however given the shrewd punter a good chance of negating their profit margin, because there are more than enough mug punters around to subsidise it.

[QUOTE=Elite_Pie;38797287]Extremely harsh to label Politologue as "nothing". He was pretty much the biggest challenge Altior could have faced outside Ireland.

Politologue is decent but not in the same class as a fit Altior imo, but true about the Irish they always throw up a good one for Cheltenham. mind you many have multi entries so you don't know who will turn up on the day. Min and Douvan aren't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by masson View Post
    What I mean is the horse being long odds on is not worth backing for the average punter.
    If you have thousands to gamble then putting on say £50,000 to win £10,000 on a 1-5 favourite might be viable.
    Hope this clears things up for you.
    Last edited by i961pie; 11-02-2018 at 07:13 PM.