+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaun Derry

Just echoing the thoughts of one or two others that maybe Abbott is his Achilles heel. I think Derry has the potential to be a very good manager but can’t help thinking he really needs the support of someone more experienced to help take him to the next level, Abbott is, unfortunately as already mentioned just a bloody clown.

I'm pretty sure that Derry parted company with Greg Abbott more than a year back. Abbott initially followed him to Cambridge, but then moved on to a role at Bradford in July 2016.

For me Derry is a good manager at this level. He did wonders for us with the 'Great Escape' at a time I thought we were dead and buried. Admittedly the season after he was less impressive, but I honestly think if we'd kept him on we'd have avoided relegation that season. It was appointing Moniz, who had never managed in England and had no experience of lower leagues, that took us down for me. And do you remember how tight it was?

His record at Cambridge is decent too. He's finished 9th and 11th in the last two seasons on a presumably smaller budget than ours. When was the last time we finished a season that high up the table?

Anyway, wishing all the best of luck to him as he finds another club!

It’s all ifs buts and maybe’s on whether he would have kept us up, but it was definitely a daft decision to sack Derry then at that time.

Either give him until the end of the season, or cut him in January, Another Trew masterstroke.

Trew gets a lot if stick for employing crap managers, but his timing with dismissals was even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    It’s all ifs buts and maybe’s on whether he would have kept us up, but it was definitely a daft decision to sack Derry then at that time.

Either give him until the end of the season, or cut him in January, Another Trew masterstroke.

Trew gets a lot if stick for employing crap managers, but his timing with dismissals was even worse.
    You’ve hit the nail on the head for me on this one. Derry had kept us up the previous season with the Great Escape, so he had earned the chance to see if he could save us again.

He should have just been given the chance and then had we gone down that would have been the ideal time to bring Moniz in. When we were hanging onto our League One status by a thread it was a Derry / Martin Allen type that could galvanise a squad that could have given us that extra we needed, not someone who had never managed in England before.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    His record at Cambridge is decent too. He's finished 9th and 11th in the last two seasons on a presumably smaller budget than ours. When was the last time we finished a season that high up the table?
    Yeah, it's not a bad performance, but I'm fairly sure the Cambridge owner and fans want more than mid-table. Apart from a couple of clubs that are just happy to be here, most clubs in L2 have their eyes on promotion, or at least an outside chance at playoffs. Cambridge are starting to stagnate, and that's not good enough. I think Derry does some things really well, but I just don't think he has it in him to bring steady progress up the leagues. His approach is too negative and attritional.

That said, it's quite remarkable to think that he had us near the top of L1 for a while - and with Hollis at CB!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post

Absolutely. Another example was employing Craig Short and then sacking him a few months later when we were mid-table. It was a strange decision to appoint him, but even stranger to get rid after a handful of games. What was he supposed to do in that time?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    For me Derry is a good manager at this level. He did wonders for us with the 'Great Escape' at a time I thought we were dead and buried. Admittedly the season after he was less impressive, but I honestly think if we'd kept him on we'd have avoided relegation that season. It was appointing Moniz, who had never managed in England and had no experience of lower leagues, that took us down for me. And do you remember how tight it was?
    Absolute nonsense.

Derry took over with over half of the season left and managed to drag out a relegation fight with a team that good all the way up until the final game of the season, it was a terrible, drawn out escape with an excellent PR campaign behind it, that team massively under performed and most of the players in that squad either stayed in League One or moved up in the league after we were relegated.

The next season he should have been sacked sooner if anything, he was atrocious and got the sack after a run of 3 wins in 24 league games, Paul Hart didn't help him out a great deal either with his insistence of playing for draws in games that looked winnable but to blame Moniz for relegation with everything that went on before him is just crazy, he had 6 games in charge!

Let's not forget his ridiculous army of loan loan players that you will have completely forgotten about most of them even being footballers if I showed you a list of them today.

Derry was sacked after 3 wins in 24 league games

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Shame he's been sacked by "mutual consent" If he hadn't had that d i c k Abbott with him at Notts think he would have done a decent job under our saviour Trew.....
    Who was Dick Abbott?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Absolute nonsense.

Derry took over with over half of the season left and managed to drag out a relegation fight with a team that good all the way up until the final game of the season, it was a terrible, drawn out escape with an excellent PR campaign behind it, that team massively under performed and most of the players in that squad either stayed in League One or moved up in the league after we were relegated.

The next season he should have been sacked sooner if anything, he was atrocious and got the sack after a run of 3 wins in 24 league games, Paul Hart didn't help him out a great deal either with his insistence of playing for draws in games that looked winnable but to blame Moniz for relegation with everything that went on before him is just crazy, he had 6 games in charge!

Let's not forget his ridiculous army of loan loan players that you will have completely forgotten about most of them even being footballers if I showed you a list of them today.

Derry was sacked after 3 wins in 24 league games
    Freeman - spot on re: Derry. He was utter cr@p and has improved, a bit, at Cambridge.

However, Moniz was a joke manager , he was absolute garbage and will never manage a League club again - or work in England imo. He was about as clueless as it gets. I can only credit him with recognising that rubbish like Jenner, Swerts and Hollis (... et al, there we quite a few!) weren't up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    Freeman - spot on re: Derry. He was utter cr@p and has improved, a bit, at Cambridge.

However, Moniz was a joke manager , he was absolute garbage and will never manage a League club again - or work in England imo. He was about as clueless as it gets. I can only credit him with recognising that rubbish like Jenner, Swerts and Hollis (... et al, there we quite a few!) weren't up to it.
    No matter how good or bad Moniz was you can't blame someone that has 6 games in charge of a team for getting relegated imo but I know out of the two, only one of them deserved to stick around till the end of a season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast