+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: League 2 budgets - where do we stand?

League 2 budgets - where do we stand?

Anyone know roughly where we stand in terms of budgets this season? I would guess we have a top ten budget, but I don't know enough about the other clubs to say. We've managed to consistently perform below where our budget suggests we should be for years, so I was wondering if we are currently over performing or not. Our finances seem a bit of a mystery - we were willing to spend 100k on Noble, and that money has since been added to by the cup run, so I assume we have a fair bit if needed.

I would guess that Luton have spent the most, probably followed by Mansfield and maybe Coventry, so it's not surprising that those teams are up there. But how are Accrington competing with these teams? Incredible really.

I would think we have a budget big enough to get out of this division. £1.7m is a fair budget if that is true, it's how you spend it that counts not how big it is, hence you are right about Accrington.

Accrington have had the same manager since Sep/2014, which probably helps. He had another spell there before that too.

Jonathan Pearce said on commentary the other night that we have a budget of £2m. Don’t know where that stacks up in League 2 terms.

What's happening at Accrington is a minor miracle, their manager should win League 2 manager of the season regardless of how many goals Luton score.

Aside from that budgets are the best indicator of where we should finish but I don't know where you can get the figures. I saw a wage bill table for the Premier League not long ago and bar a couple of exceptions (Burnley etc) it was pretty similar to the league table.

It's not the amount so much as what you do with what you've got. For example, the payment for Yates yielded a great dividend but we could all name players whose worth is less than the investment made.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Anyone know roughly where we stand in terms of budgets this season? I would guess we have a top ten budget, but I don't know enough about the other clubs to say. We've managed to consistently perform below where our budget suggests we should be for years, so I was wondering if we are currently over performing or not. Our finances seem a bit of a mystery - we were willing to spend 100k on Noble, and that money has since been added to by the cup run, so I assume we have a fair bit if needed.

I would guess that Luton have spent the most, probably followed by Mansfield and maybe Coventry, so it's not surprising that those teams are up there. But how are Accrington competing with these teams? Incredible really.
    Because they probably signed the right players at the right time all on freebies for the positions that needed filling, and not just anyone in desperation like we seem to be doing.. I shall rephrase that, Marquee signings...

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    It's not the amount so much as what you do with what you've got. For example, the payment for Yates yielded a great dividend but we could all name players whose worth is less than the investment made.
    All other things being equal it's mostly the budget. There will always be one or two teams who overperform thanks to good management or getting players on the way up who are too good for the level, and a couple of dysfunctional teams who spend a lot but badly like Notts under Moniz or Leyton Orient a couple of years ago, but with a decent manager and good organisation it's basically it's all about budget.

I was looking back at the Guardian preview of L2, published back in August and featuring a fan's view from each team. It's interesting to compare current league standings with pre-season expectations.

The majority of fans expected their teams to make the playoffs, including teams like Crewe and Cambridge who are bottom half. Luton expected to go up automatically, as did Mansfield. The Notts fan just wanted us to do better than least season and perhaps have an outside shot at the playoffs. So if you look at it that way, we're doing pretty well. Playoffs would be a massive success for us, whereas it would probably represent under performance for the Stags.

I seem to remember reading we had a top 6 budget so in that respect we're doing alright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast