+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: That thoughtless Rafa

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    oh the people that put up threads to cause a row
    the same people that sung so highly of joselwho the first times he played
    Who 'sang so highly'? I think we all agreed and still agree that he's a 5mil striker who puts in the effort, but at the end of the day simply isn't good enough. It's called being rational.

in fact you all answer and prove me right in what i have been saying is wrong with rafas tactics
    Nope, that's just you constantly reiterating that everyone's proving you right, when really we all agree that you're contradicting yourself which is the truth.

we attacked
    we played posiyive footy
    we played to our strengths

with the players so many here were saying were chimpo players and were ****e and werent good enough for this league

despite me saying they were and it was the tactics and way they were asking to be played

the goal kepper had a great game
    he took crosses well he comanded his area
    elliott and darlow and anyother keeper would have made those saves

what they wouldnt have done is talked as much as he did and took the crosses
    Agree with this, though in other threads you said that our strikers weren't going to keep us up because they were fizzy level and badly chosen by Rafa. So which one is it? Do you have the ability to make up your mind?

these wont keep us ip
    i doubt wether slimani will hit the floor running
    whilst the keeper looks ok
    we need goals

gayle isnt getting them
    perez will pop up wth the odd goal

but as such people who say we are in the top 8 for goals conceded we are where we are for not scoring enough

the new keeperin remaining games migh keep say 1 maybe 2 more clean sheets than say ellioy or darlow
    great he may get us or help towards 2 points

a striker a peoven one or a fit one may score 4-5 goals in the next few games

that coule relate to possibly 6-9 points

draws wont keep us up

we need to score more than the opposition

go back on te threads and look at how many sung joselwhos praises

loads on here

mainly those that watch te toon from their lounges on 50 inch widescreens

and no im not contardicting my self as to how i rated the players and have said many mnay many times rafa should be getting ore from thsese players and that they are not in general fizzy players
    just very poor team selection and tactics

when rafa plays his best team and not his favourites and lets them attack we will do ok

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    did you ever think that maybe he played more attacking because he now had a couple more players who made that possible without too much of a risk.
    which players would that be then that he hasnt had all season

apart from the goalie he has had theose players available all season apart from the lad on loan

soo one outfield player

really

you think that one player would turn us around so quick

i rest my case

if that is the case why did we look so poor the previous 2 games then
    when we played more defensive

whilst the keeper looks ok
    we need goals...

but as such people who say we are in the top 8 for goals conceded we are where we are for not scoring enough

the new keeperin remaining games migh keep say 1 maybe 2 more clean sheets than say ellioy or darlow
    great he may get us or help towards 2 points

a striker a peoven one or a fit one may score 4-5 goals in the next few games

that coule relate to possibly 6-9 points

draws wont keep us up

we need to score more than the opposition
    You are, of course, correct in saying that if we score more goals than the opposition then we will win games. But it's also equally correct to say if we concede less than them then we will win games - that's just the flip side of the coin. If you keep a clean sheet then you are guaranteed at least a point, which is what I think you're missing here. A striker scoring 4-5 goals over a few games doesn't guarantee any points if you concede more goals than the opposition in those games. But if you concede 0 goals in those few games, you might only need 2 goals to get 6 points. So a winning side starts from the back. In the absence of being able to regularly convert the chances you create, it surely makes sense to do what you can to make sure you keep more clean sheets doesn't it? You say yourself that the best we can hope for from the strikers we had prior to January was a few goals from Perez, so that won't be enough to win games unless we ensure we're solid defensively. Presumably that's why we also brought in Slimani - to convert whatever chances we create.

If you look at the data (which I know you hate to do, but it's the only way we can have a conversation which doesn't require us to go over every individual match in detail), it shows we actually do create chances with Rafa's style - we've had the 11th most chances created in the PL this season, but we've only scored the 14th highest number of goals. We've put away around 10% of the chances we've had (vs 12% for Brighton, 14% Huddersfield), and about 10% of the chances we've missed were counted as 'big chances'. Despite that, we actually have the 9th best shot accuracy. So all this suggests that our strikers just aren't capable of beating the keeper. And from watching them play, I'd say it's because they generally lack power. It's rare you see Gayle or Perez really put their foot through the ball, which is frustrating. Joselu can strike it, but when he does it's rarely on target. The one striker that really offered us anything different was Mitrovic, and I know neither you nor Rafa rate him or think he's even coachable.

The comparison to Brighton and Huddersfield is interesting, because Brighton's top scorer is Murray, who got the same amount of goals as Gayle last season in the Championship (though Gayle did it over fewer games). The fact is that Gayle hasn't done the business this season when he's had the chances, and that's rocked his confidence and led to him being dropped. Huddersfield's top scorer is Mounie, who was their club record signing over the summer. Clearly they got your memo and understood the importance of hitting the back of the net, even though Wagner plays way more negative football than Rafa!

"go back on te threads and look at how many sung joselwhos praises

loads on here "

nope! got it wrong again couldn,t find anybody singing his praises

Quote Originally Posted by ronandtet View Post
    "go back on te threads and look at how many sung joselwhos praises

loads on here "

nope! got it wrong again couldn,t find anybody singing his praises
    i gaurantee you they did
    loads saying how he worked his socks of ,held up the ball well etc etc etc

now
    the wide screen brigade slating him

Well nufc,s answer to Donald trump show us all these posters lol

Josalwho is every thing the other two strikers arent
    when people keep harping on about mitro just look at this player .

He allows us to play in rafas negative way as when the ball goes uop to him it sticks and he makes their back 4 work and he closes down and he can header a ball
    my only concern with him is his goal scoring record

his work rate is top drawer
    There you go pmag a quote from you 😁

I think a few people, including myself, mentioned that he did bring something to the team... but NO ONE ever praised him as a striker,

there you go pmag a quote from you

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)