+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jeez, its gonna be a long week.

I personally think that berardi possibly ayling debock jansson forshaw okane alioski Dallas hernandez Saiz lasogga and ekuban could hack it in the Premier league with some quality additions around them, I also think coyle possibly Denton shaughnessy Pennington Vieira Phillips and possibly wilks could develop into good players too, you've got about 2 thirds of a good squad there, if when getting promoted we then sign a quality goalkeeper, quality centre back, and a premier league quality goalscoring striker, plus a few others with Premier league experience, then we would stay up in our first season, and then the following season we would build even further

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN View Post
    I personally think that berardi possibly ayling debock jansson forshaw okane alioski Dallas hernandez Saiz lasogga and ekuban could hack it in the Premier league with some quality additions around them, I also think coyle possibly Denton shaughnessy Pennington Vieira Phillips and possibly wilks could develop into good players too, you've got about 2 thirds of a good squad there, if when getting promoted we then sign a quality goalkeeper, quality centre back, and a premier league quality goalscoring striker, plus a few others with Premier league experience, then we would stay up in our first season, and then the following season we would build even further
    Sorry but I disagree with your assessment of the team Clive. There is no way 2/3 of our squad would make it into a mid table Premiership team. Siaz and Hernandez could but Pablo is getting older. Jansson I think would struggle with the pace of some of the forwards as would berardi and Ayling with the pace of wingers/wing backs. Alioski needs to learn to be more physical. I've not seen De Bock or Forshaw play so can't comment on them. Dallas hasn't played that much and I like Ekuban's work ethics but still to early to tell for him.

Of course this is only my opinion, would love it if they proved me wrong, but hey we need to get out of the Championship first

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Sounds a bit like my beloved Burnley Clive..
    Yes Alf but you had to get relegated again first, as did West Brom and so on. Huddersfield ..maybe falling apart abit, but if they come down... they will be better equipped than us for next season with monies from this season and parachute payments, plus the experience the squad will gain.

Sorry but we need to get up anyway we can and probably get relegated again at least once. The amount of money in the PL means clubs don't need to rely on attendances and the divide is getting wider each year. We could be waiting along time to build a PL ready team.

Quote Originally Posted by fredlufc74 View Post
    Sorry but I disagree with your assessment of the team Clive. There is no way 2/3 of our squad would make it into a mid table Premiership team. Siaz and Hernandez could but Pablo is getting older. Jansson I think would struggle with the pace of some of the forwards as would berardi and Ayling with the pace of wingers/wing backs. Alioski needs to learn to be more physical. I've not seen De Bock or Forshaw play so can't comment on them. Dallas hasn't played that much and I like Ekuban's work ethics but still to early to tell for him.

Of course this is only my opinion, would love it if they proved me wrong, but hey we need to get out of the Championship first
    Have to agree with Fred on the standard of the players.

Couple of other points to put into the mix:

1) i've mentioned the 'turkeys voting for Christmas idea' a couple of years ago on here - if you're going to go up and just replace a load of the players with new ones when you get the PL money, why would those players strive to get promotion? I think we've had that problem for several years - most know they wouldn't get a game and would probably be sold once we got up. Saiz maybe wouldn't.

2) Even if we spent all the PL money, and somehow got some more investment from somewhere (as Fred said, Radrizzani isn't going to payroll PL wages and transfer fees) our spending would still be in the bottom 8 of the PL.

Maybe Stomper is right - we need a promotion and a relegation before we can even think of competing in any meaningful way (or a billion pound buyout when Radrizzani has a more valuable club on his hands perhaps) - sad but true state of affairs that eh?

However or whichever way you look at it and read all the comments it all sounds depressing and even sounds that I'll never again see Leeds in the top flight and playing in Europe again in my lifetime, you youngsters may...just....I'm 55 and feel championship is all I'll ever see again....😥😥😥😥😥😥😥

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    However or whichever way you look at it and read all the comments it all sounds depressing and even sounds that I'll never again see Leeds in the top flight and playing in Europe again in my lifetime, you youngsters may...just....I'm 55 and feel championship is all I'll ever see again....��������������
    many fans of a similiar age group feel the same way fella , we wont see the premier league under radrizaani, he is just fattening this club up to sell on for a massive profit , that has been obvious for a long time.

an whole generation of fans, kids under the age of fif**** haver never even seen leeds in the premier league, thats how bad and ridiculous it as become. when i started going we were the best team in england and one of the best teams in europe .

unless we get a multi billionaire down here anytime soon, we will never win a major trophy again, or compete in europe thats a certainty. but the revie era will never be surpassed anyway , i am just lucky enough to have seen them play, when they were a great side , and not the garbage that play under the name of this club now.
    Last edited by Marley past ghosts; 13-02-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Not sure it's impossible to build a PL ready squad in the Championship - I reckon Wolves will do OK in the PL next season, so it is possible. But to do that takes a lot more investment than it looks like Radz has the wherewithall to provide, so, as I've said before, I remain convinced he's actually looking to make LUFC an attractive proposition for (probably) Middle Eastern, or perhaps Chinese, backers.

But for me the bigger problem is, do I actually want LUFC to become another Man City, Chelsea etc etc - I mean, what the f00k do those teams actually represent, other than 'look how big my cheque book is' ???

Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    Not sure it's impossible to build a PL ready squad in the Championship - I reckon Wolves will do OK in the PL next season, so it is possible. But to do that takes a lot more investment than it looks like Radz has the wherewithall to provide, so, as I've said before, I remain convinced he's actually looking to make LUFC an attractive proposition for (probably) Middle Eastern, or perhaps Chinese, backers.

But for me the bigger problem is, do I actually want LUFC to become another Man City, Chelsea etc etc - I mean, what the f00k do those teams actually represent, other than 'look how big my cheque book is' ???
    And yet what is the aim if not the Premiership?

Said it ages ago that the PL is a very sharp double edged sword, and there may be/will be times when a Premiership Leeds side won't necessarily be what many fans would want it to be (I imagine I'd be in the number, if I'm still alive by then!).

Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post

because you do not win anything without serious money nowadays , the last twenty - twenty five years all the major trophies have been dished out to the same four or five clubs , man city , arsenal, man utd , chelsea, liverpool , - leicester have been the only exception

that revie side would not have lasted five minutes in this day and age , they would have been cherry picked of one by one, because you simply do not have the time to build a side now, because the big hitters will come in and lure them away for big transfer fees and wages .

thats why all this talk of building a side is cobblers it just wont happen , he needs to bring the five or six quality players needed in all roughly at the same time, otherwise the team will just get dismantled on a regular basis , like saiz and jansson going in the summer.

leeds under wilkinson , brought wallace, dorigo, sterland ,lukic, chapman ,strachan, hodge, fairclough, whyte ,mcallister, etc all within a couple of seasons of each other they spent big money at that time , and won the title within a couple of seasons .

trying to do it gradually over a three or four year period is simply fantasy and it wont happen

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    And yet what is the aim if not the Premiership?

Said it ages ago that the PL is a very sharp double edged sword, and there may be/will be times when a Premiership Leeds side won't necessarily be what many fans would want it to be (I imagine I'd be in the number, if I'm still alive by then!).
    That's it in a nutshell WTF, of course I want LUFC to be winning things, but then I look at the likes of Man City and Chelsea and I think, what's the difference between them and the Harlem Globetrotters really,,,,,,,,, Or as marley has just said, we could definitely be winning stuff again, guaranteed, as long as whoever owns the club has deep enough pockets - and where's the genuine satisfaction in winning like that ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)