+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT Does anybody out there play ukelele...?

OT Does anybody out there play ukelele...?

....got one a few months ago after having a little tinker with my lads uke(No nowt dodgy!). You can get a decent soprano for 20 quid off the internet and they are a lot easier to play than a guitar because they only have 4 strings. Reading up on them I was surprised to read a lot of famous guitarists have spent some time learning to play the uke eg Eric Clapton, Brian May, Jimi Hendrix- its not all to do with George Formby y'know. (Although its nice playing My grandads flannelette nightshirt with a daft smile on your face) Whats more the likes of Taylor Swift have made it more attractive to young uns nowadays.

They say that it is hard not to play a uke without a smile on your face (perhaps not as gormless as Formby!) and I think thats very true.

There is all sorts of free stuff to learn on the internet and a lot of vids to help you play. I have a collection of all sorts of songs in different styles eg pop, rock and roll, folk, country , 60s/ 50s classics /reggae/jazz/modern stuff you name it the list goes on. You don't need to be able to read music just learn the chords and know rhe songs. The chords are often easy as well. Its great when you find you can actually play some of your favourite songs!

I don't pretend to be a great musician i can play a few chords on guitar but I have found it a lot easier to plsy than guitar.

There are also groups you can join of fellow uke players which I haven't participated in so far.

No i'm not a uke seller or on commission just suggesting folks should give it a go. Its very addictive but a warning it might drive your familiy crazy like it did mine.

Here's to the next millersmad uke band!

Name:  27970-gc-ukulele-buyers-guitde-page-web-1200x368-mobile-image-ukulele-by-size-concert.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  65.3 KB
    Last edited by rolymiller; 13-02-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Other than the musicians mentioned, the only other ukelele player that I can only think of is Joe Root (who is a Blades fan, I think). There must be a ukelele club/group in Rotherham somewhere

Think there is one in Sheffield that meets quite regularly Mikemiller( never been brave enough to go!) and I know they have the big George Formby conventions down south somewhere every year.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Other than the musicians mentioned, the only other ukelele player that I can only think of is Joe Root (who is a Blades fan, I think).
    Tiny Tim? He was a creepy looking character who sang in a falsetto. One of his songs, Tiptoe Through The Tulips, was made famous in the horror film Insidious.
    I play a bit of guitar, I'd say I'm mediocre to average. Every now and then I'll see a ukulele and ponder buying one but never have. You can almost replicate the sound of a uke by putting a capo on the 12th fret of an acoustic guitar, sometimes I do this 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Tiny Tim? He was a creepy looking character who sang in a falsetto. One of his songs, Tiptoe Through The Tulips, was made famous in the horror film Insidious.
    He died in 1996

Yep I would imagine thats right Hazza. For 20 quid though its probably worth getting the real thing. They are a decent quality to learn on as well I have given mine a fair bit of stick.Kids are learning on these in schools now so they have to be quite robust. I intend to upgrade to a concert uke which is a bit bigger. (I keep hinting at this to my family for my birthday present).

The problem for me is that I have been that addicted to it I have stopped playing my guitar which is not what I intended to do but I can play the same songs and more much easier on the uke. Yep a bit lazy and wont improve my guitar playing I know. I keep telling myself I must learn to play the songs I play on the uke on my guitar as well.

Just a further note-forgive the pun- there are 2 or 3 different ways a uke can be tuned sopranos usually being G C E A .You can get a clip on electronic tuner which will tune all the different types of ukes for 5 or 6 quid.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 13-02-2018 at 01:03 PM.

I have a ukulele, but the only time I play it is when I'm cleaning windows or leaning on a lamp post.

Or with ya little stick of Blackpool rock eh patty you card 😙

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Or with ya little stick of Blackpool rock eh patty you card ��
    Somebody's been spilling the beans again?

Formby actually played the banjolele.

Last edited by great_fire; 13-02-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast