+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Points

Quote Originally Posted by itwasin View Post
    I can remember Crewe before we had Academy beating Accrington one snowy night in Feb 4-0 The following week they went out of the League so they have turned it around on Crewe now. How do they do it!!
    I can't recall that game but looking at the head to head matches we had with them over the years our record is not so good..

http://www.footymad.net/head-to-head...ewe-alexandra/

I was there in Jan 1961 and just a young lad of just 16 years of age when we won 3-1 away and not long afterwards they went out of the league and didn't complete all their fixtures. They didn't get back into league football until recent times and so 50 years non league is not something we want to do but the risk is there still. I don't think we will get relegated but hope lessons can be learned that it doesn't do to have all your eggs in one basket.

That was a very sad day for Accrington back then as the fans were crying about their plight and remember feeling so sorry for them. Indeed for anyone losing their league status and the fans who support their team through thick and thin..

Itwasin, those records show a couple of Crewe 4-0 victories back in 1929 and in the 1930's both in August too and shows global warming has really happened! and so I guess that makes you around 90 years old? That is what I call a really dedicated fan!
    Last edited by MikeSB; 14-02-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Quite good at times.
    Very good at times, or even quite good all the time might just do. But quite good at times is not what we need right now. He makes Marcus Haber look good.
    Slight change of mind. He can be, quite good, average, even downright crap in his all round play, but as long as he puts the bloody ball in the net 15X per season, we'll all be happy. Fat chance of that tho.
    Just seen the you tube highlights, what a miss in the closing stages for someone who all he does is kick a ball every day for a living!

The game Mike was played on a Friday night in late Feb 1962 ( 1st time experiment playing Fridays ) Crewe 4 Accrinton 0 The report went like this " A Thick and treacherous carpet of snow on the Gresty road pitch made this game a soccer nightmare but sure footed Crewe had far more punch in attack than poor Stanley which keeps Crewe in the top 4,and goes on to say about the Referee who kept his head and the excellent work done by the goundsman at half time. The attack was then Smith-Wheatley-Lord-Morgans-Haydock. About a week later Accrington went out of the League and as you said points deducuted from all teams who payed them. How about that for a memory hehehe

How do Accrington Stanley manage to be near the top of the league with crowds under 1500. Do they have a rich owner or manage their finances in a totally different way to the way our board run our club. Got to ask do they have an academy of any sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    How do Accrington Stanley manage to be near the top of the league with crowds under 1500. Do they have a rich owner or manage their finances in a totally different way to the way our board run our club. Got to ask do they have an academy of any sorts.
    64,000 dollar question when some fans say we could not manage or exist without the Cat 2 academy. Also these clubs seem to pay higher wages than we do...But contributing 760K to the academy each year must starve the first team even though fans say its self financing but surely misses the point of having one if the money is just being recycled there...

I suspect many things will come to a head here whether we stay up and definitely if we go down with probably all the board resigning. I cannot see Dario coming back in any scenario though.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    64,000 dollar question when some fans say we could not manage or exist without the Cat 2 academy. Also these clubs seem to pay higher wages than we do...But contributing 760K to the academy each year must starve the first team even though fans say its self financing but surely misses the point of having one if the money is just being recycled there...

I suspect many things will come to a head here whether we stay up and definitely if we go down with probably all the board resigning. I cannot see Dario coming back in any scenario though.
    It's quite simple ! We don't compete on wages because all revenues taken in Do Not Go to Crewe Alexandra fc, but companies set up by our major share holder. Nothing to do with the academy

Quote Originally Posted by As it is View Post
    It's quite simple ! We don't compete on wages because all revenues taken in Do Not Go to Crewe Alexandra fc, but companies set up by our major share holder. Nothing to do with the academy
    I don't believe that to be true. The accounts are available to be viewed I imagine. But the Academy, as Mike keeps pointing out ad nauseum costs £750k per year to run and as a simple calculation would reveal, it wouldn't still be operating if the receipts from transfers didn't fund it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    I don't believe that to be true. The accounts are available to be viewed I imagine. But the Academy, as Mike keeps pointing out ad nauseum costs £750k per year to run and as a simple calculation would reveal, it wouldn't still be operating if the receipts from transfers didn't fund it.
    Transfers might go to the football club But other monies like gate receipts ,bar takings will go to different holding companies. If you think I am wrong talk to the staff tomorrow and you will find that they are paid by different companies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12