+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U23, U18 and other youth sides

alf--the under 18 league is very tight with 11 teams in the league and there are only 6 points between 1st and 7th. We are 4th and just 3 points behind the leaders with a game in hand although this is our first season at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    alf--the under 18 league is very tight with 11 teams in the league and there are only 6 points between 1st and 7th. We are 4th and just 3 points behind the leaders with a game in hand although this is our first season at this level.
    Sounds like they are doing very well then Ashy..I've always been a believer in having a good youth set up..Things seem to be going well at the Barnfield training ground.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Sounds like they are doing very well then Ashy..I've always been a believer in having a good youth set up..Things seem to be going well at the Barnfield training ground.
    Give me a break, No matter what the team we do not win many games against clubs who are far below the financial monies we have available. If we want to compete better then we must find the right type of player who has certain qualities and will be able to compete. We have too look at this collectively if we are not good enough then ship those out and get somebody else, but don't quote Crewe as all I will say is Barry Bennell

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post
    Give me a break, No matter what the team we do not win many games against clubs who are far below the financial monies we have available. If we want to compete better then we must find the right type of player who has certain qualities and will be able to compete. We have too look at this collectively if we are not good enough then ship those out and get somebody else, but don't quote Crewe as all I will say is Barry Bennell
    Bennell offences were from 1979 to 1990 so he has nothing to do with how they play now. I’m not sure if you are criticising the players, or the coaches or the Head of Football or the club in general. Given there is a new set up they need time to have an impact.
    Do you not think the club ship out players that don’t make the grade already?
    The point of the teams is to develop talent and not necessarily to win trophies. Given there are only 8 under 18s, 10 under 17s and 13 under 23s on our books not out on loan that’s not a big pool if City have 600 on their books.
    https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/teams/u23-team/
    Last edited by oldcolner; 16-02-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post
    So what you really want is for us to do the same as Chelsea and have an Under 23 squad (many of whom are only 20 years old) earning just over £93,000 per week for the 11 players who played against Lincoln.
    This is what we are up against and you also have the other cases where parents are getting houses from the bigger clubs if junior signs for them.
    You have to realise that out youth system has been decimated by in recent years and that it will take time to build things back up, including the reputation, and this does not happen overnight.
    The facilities which we had were much poorer than many clubs who were, and still are, of lower stature in terms of league positions although not necessarily financially. Our develepment of Barnfield is very important and was high on the list of priorities in order to make the club more attractive to players of all ages.
    There have been some good young players who have come to the club in the last couple of years from more established set-ups than we had. Time will tell whether or not they develop, although one is definitely on the fringe of the first team squad.
    Patience is what is needed.
    Last edited by Supersub6; 16-02-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Just checked the club website and there are actually only 8 under 18s and 12 under 17s. Not a lot is it!
    https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/teams/u18-team/

Fourth place Burnley under 18s take on second place Nottingham Forest tomorrow afternoon at Gawthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Fourth place Burnley under 18s take on second place Nottingham Forest tomorrow afternoon at Gawthorpe
    4-4 final score

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)