+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Back to basics defensively

Back to basics defensively

We found out earlier on in the season that 3 at the back does not work
    Raya
    Nyambe
    Downing(for now)
    Mulgrew
    Williams/bell
    We need to find the key to another unbeaten run which potentially will get us promotion.

I think there’s a bit of a mis conception going on with regard to the ongoing debate over TM.
    It’s very clear that Sax is very much/totally unhappy with TM. I say this as he feels we should be in pole position. This based upon the quality of our squad.
    As I myself have tried to get across, I am not totally in disagreement that TM does indeed go overboard upon voicing his ‘concern’ over every opponents ‘qualities’ that does go beyond stopping at respectful comments only.
    I cannot truly say if this affects the mindset of our squad, or if it’s down to selections and tactics . Or indeed, combining of all of these. But , from what I hear and read of our ‘resilience’ and team spirit , it makes me doubt it somewhat.
    The chosen combinations recently set up can only be the determining factor that is causing our frailties, but it is not intentional.
    Hopefully, despite Saxs surety of TM not able to ‘learn’ my hope is that he has/is doing, but it doesn’t happen just like that.
    If we were now in say 7th or 8th place and dropping it would concern me, but we’re still in third and challenging. So for now, I will not get edgy.
    If we start to drop away, that’s when concern may arrive.
    Now is the time to hold nerve, stay focussed and hopefully kick on.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    I think there’s a bit of a mis conception going on with regard to the ongoing debate over TM.
    It’s very clear that Sax is very much/totally unhappy with TM. I say this as he feels we should be in pole position. This based upon the quality of our squad.
    As I myself have tried to get across, I am not totally in disagreement that TM does indeed go overboard upon voicing his ‘concern’ over every opponents ‘qualities’ that does go beyond stopping at respectful comments only.
    I cannot truly say if this affects the mindset of our squad, or if it’s down to selections and tactics . Or indeed, combining of all of these. But , from what I hear and read of our ‘resilience’ and team spirit , it makes me doubt it somewhat.
    The chosen combinations recently set up can only be the determining factor that is causing our frailties, but it is not intentional.
    Hopefully, despite Saxs surety of TM not able to ‘learn’ my hope is that he has/is doing, but it doesn’t happen just like that.
    If we were now in say 7th or 8th place and dropping it would concern me, but we’re still in third and challenging. So for now, I will not get edgy.
    If we start to drop away, that’s when concern may arrive.
    Now is the time to hold nerve, stay focussed and hopefully kick on.
    Agree with all of that. Mowbray gets the whole season regardless. Only failure to be promoted, by whatever way(inc play offs) means dismissel in my mind.

God help us if that happens.

The problem with some of the criticisms, for me, is the contradictory nature of many of them.
    You get posters calling TM "Tinkerman" and then calling for wholesale changes to the team.
    You get posters last week saying Bell looks to have more potential as a winger than Conway ever had, then ripping into Mowbray for playing him as a winger.
    You get posters saying the sole reason for our defeat at Plymouth was the fact that Conway was in the team, and then arguing that we looked fragile in defence because Bell was chosen out of position.
    This takes us back to the days earlier this season when posters were saying Graham was a lazy moaner, and should be shipped out so that Nuttall could play every game.
    Taking a step back and looking at the big picture in a balanced way would help people to avoid some of these knee-jerk reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    The problem with some of the criticisms, for me, is the contradictory nature of many of them.
    You get posters calling TM "Tinkerman" and then calling for wholesale changes to the team.
    You get posters last week saying Bell looks to have more potential as a winger than Conway ever had, then ripping into Mowbray for playing him as a winger.
    You get posters saying the sole reason for our defeat at Plymouth was the fact that Conway was in the team, and then arguing that we looked fragile in defence because Bell was chosen out of position.
    This takes us back to the days earlier this season when posters were saying Graham was a lazy moaner, and should be shipped out so that Nuttall could play every game.
    Taking a step back and looking at the big picture in a balanced way would help people to avoid some of these knee-jerk reactions.
    Aucks, where are you getting these opinions from?, it certainly isn't from Roversmad. If you are reading them elsewhere, instead of getting annoyed by them and quoting them here, why not reply directly on the board where you've read them?

I'd just like to add that I've been consistent with my criticism and NOT reactionary. During the 'unbeaten run', I stated numerous times we were unconvincing despite the results. The fact results are now not palatable comes as no surprise to me whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Aucks, where are you getting these opinions from?, it certainly isn't from Roversmad. If you are reading them elsewhere, instead of getting annoyed by them and quoting them here, why not reply directly on the board where you've read them?
    I DO, believe me!
    But I'm just generally reacting to what seems to be very widespread opinion.

3 at the back really could not have worked better than on SAT. Oldham had caused us so many problems first half. After we changed the formation, we battered them, and they didn't know what to do. At home, I would strongly suggest 3-5-2. But take out of the team Downing who isn't good enough, and Smallwood (unless he plays himself back into form again, the fair enough) and start with Travis. Also swap Bennett with Payne as both are in-effective how they are currently being played. For any fault TM holds, he was also astute enough to change it. The moaners have been sat here waiting for this all season. And should be ignored like Burnley fans. You can tell on this site alone who does and doesn't understand football. Same with BRFC's.
    The same ones who moan, will never ever have a suggestion as to what to do.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)