+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nothing to suggest that next year will be anything other than a huge challenge

Nothing to suggest that next year will be anything other than a huge challenge

There is no doubt that we have very done well this season. Well exceeding expectations-- so well done all.

Getting the points we did so early on has given us a breathing space now--just as well.

A combination of injuries, slightly less talented subs and being sussed out have contributed to 10 games without a win.

But it is fair to say that our replacement players have done brilliantly well indeed and I speak particularly of Pope; Long; Taylor; Bardsley.

Good to see Lennon who adds something else but also strangely detracts from the team role that we are so used to seeing in their defensive mode.

But if we think its roses all the way for next year it doesn't scan that way for me.

Yes; players and Management now believe. That's a positive. And was for this year until the last 10 games.

Yes, we are ahead of the next round of promoted teams.

No; we have not strengthen the squad sufficiently to think we have made any particular inroads into survival.

Yes; we are still miles away from the top six. I know the top fif**** is still what we seek but you have to have some sort of a goal in life.

No; we have not demonstrated consistency to this point of the season.

No; we are miles away from being an attacking team with options and flare.

Yes; other teams will get closer to us and drag us back into the relegation zone next year unless we do things we never do--recruit really brilliantly or spend real money on real players.

Of course, holding onto the sides of a bucking bull is what we do so well--since the early 60's--what with us being a little club with local Directors.

So lets all get ready to enjoy what could be our next roller coaster season.

Its never dull being a Burnley supporter

One season at a time pal, according to some we will be in the second division next season

It's funny that fans of other teams view us completely differently.

"Hard to beat", "well managed on a shoestring", "brilliant manager", "great supporters", "role model for town team clubs", etc. etc.

This season is not over, we will prevail.

Given that most clubs at this level will always be better off financially than us, every season at this level is going to be a huge challenge. Anyone who thinks differently is being wildly over-optimistic. That's not to say we can't survive or have a reasonably successful season, we can, but it's never, ever going to be a given, or easy.

Next year will likely bring two clubs that will probably have bigger buying power than us in Wolves and Villa. Will clubs come sniffing around Tarks or Mee. Will we look to buy our survival.
    As Sean says it’s fine margins with us having won only one game by more than one goal (Swansea 2-0 h) and lost only two by more than one (Spurs h 0-3 and city a 0-3)
    So of 27 games we have drawn 9 won 9 (8 by one goal) lost 9 (7 by one goal)
    If only we could score more goals and stop losing goals in the last 10 mins we would be top 6.
    Can Wood regain a scoring streak, will Lennon pay off will Tarks return restore impregnability. We may soon find out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    It's funny that fans of other teams view us completely differently.

"Hard to beat", "well managed on a shoestring", "brilliant manager", "great supporters", "role model for town team clubs", etc. etc.

This season is not over, we will prevail.
    All of the comments by others are true BT.

Even my non-Burnley friends talk about Burnley the minute they see me.

But my nagging feeling always leads me to question our sustainability in the Prem.

Each year we survive in the Prem is a good year. Each year we improve our squad is a very good year.

But I don't think we have improved the squad this year. We have got the best out of who we have--for now

What we have done this year is:-

1. uncover a very good goalie (Pope);

2. turn around a player (D4);

3.seen an improving Gud;

4. due to injuries seen Long, Taylor and Beadsley rise to the occasion.

Barnes puts in but what of Wells; Hendrick; Jackson; Walters; Westwood?

That's why we play the same team as much as we can.

Our midfield has the numbers but not the quality; same with our forwards.

Its those two areas that need attention for a more relaxed and enjoyable next season.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    All of the comments by others are true BT.

Even my non-Burnley friends talk about Burnley the minute they see me.

But my nagging feeling always leads me to question our sustainability in the Prem.

Each year we survive in the Prem is a good year. Each year we improve our squad is a very good year.

But I don't think we have improved the squad this year. We have got the best out of who we have--for now

What we have done this year is:-

1. uncover a very good goalie (Pope);

2. turn around a player (D4);

3.seen an improving Gud;

4. due to injuries seen Long, Taylor and Beadsley rise to the occasion.

Barnes puts in but what of Wells; Hendrick; Jackson; Walters; Westwood?

That's why we play the same team as much as we can.

Our midfield has the numbers but not the quality; same with our forwards.

Its those two areas that need attention for a more relaxed and enjoyable next season.
    Good post Heeler, similar to what I have been saying

Who is this Wood player- have we signed a new player ?

ID You got the BT disease?
    Of course some of us call him Woods- familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    ID You got the BT disease?
    Of course some of us call him Woods- familiar!
    A bit like us calling you Oldcolners....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)