+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Jack Ross

Quote Originally Posted by FTD1983 View Post
    Absolute nonsense.

Scott Fraser was and remains MILES off Premiership standard. Too lightweight, not quick enough. Half our support wanted him punted in January just before his purple patch. Not good enough.

Fraser Fyvie has been bouncing around the Scottish Championship for 4 successive seasons, struggles to play enough games through injury and is, IMO, too small to effectively dominate a Premiership midfield like he can in the Championship.

They are our 2 best players but are nowhere near the level you suggest, which in and of itself is terrifying.
    The fact Hibs wanted to keep Fyvie and Hearts are wanting to sign Fraser may suggest differently. I would say both could easily play in The Premiership if showing the form they were before they were injured.

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    Agree with you on everything except I’m hoping we might somehow sneak it up in the play offs

Hamilton and those around them are not that amazing and in a couple of one offs I hope we can somehow do it
    Hamilton are probably weaker this year but then so are we. I just have no confidence in this team whatsoever to get the job done.
    Like others have said the weakest championship in years and we've been abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    There's no doubting that Fyvie & Frasers injuries have hampered us but that's only 2 players so it shouldn't have done the damage that it has but that's if we didn't already have lots of injured players out too. I honestly cant remember so many players out with long & medium term injuries in all the days ive watched us.

Its far too early to call for the managers head imo hes not that long in the job FFS. What he does need to do is cut out the needless rambling & over zealous hand movements . I sat right behind at hospo v Livi & what he was doing was pointless, it was just for show.

On a side note the Tele saying Edge, Scobbie, Quinn & maybe even Briels back for Livi away next week. Fraser's cast is off but won't be rushed back and Keatings hip surgery went well but won't play again this season.
    I think the timings of these injuries when Briels and others were already out. It compounded things BUT doesnt explain a lot of the nonsense in signings and formations. Lyng is our 2018 Nicholls ffs. We wont go up i dont think. Fraser when back will take weeks to have a good game. He had about 6 good games in 2017?? He is a talent but isnt the influence many make him out to be apart from said games.

Quote Originally Posted by shedboy71 View Post
    I think the timings of these injuries when Briels and others were already out. It compounded things BUT doesnt explain a lot of the nonsense in signings and formations. Lyng is our 2018 Nicholls ffs. We wont go up i dont think. Fraser when back will take weeks to have a good game. He had about 6 good games in 2017?? He is a talent but isnt the influence many make him out to be apart from said games.
    Think the formations have been interrupted by these injuries bud, although there's been a few heid scratchers outwith that.

The signings in January look to be bit rushed imo, Lyng looks pi5h & the 2 French guys look like they've been signed for the future, fk the future we need players ready now.I still think there's a player in Slater and i quite liked what i seen of Gillespie up in Aberdeen.

It seems that over the last few seasons when we sign players that we are eternally bedding them in or getting them match fit as they come to us never match ready. This along with the player turnover also affects continuity.

This is key, we need to build a squad to win the championship over time, and that's not every 6 months or so as we are doing at the moment. We desperately need some continuity which is going to take time.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    This is key, we need to build a squad to win the championship over time, and that's not every 6 months or so as we are doing at the moment. We desperately need some continuity which is going to take time.
    I totally agree with this sentiment. We should be planning now for next season in the Championship (plan for the worst, hope for the best).

Would we be any worse off if we made attempts to bed in Ballantyne, Allardyce, Smith etc - give them 8-10 games to show if they’ve got the capability to be first team regulars next year. (If it’s good enough for Liverpool with Karius, then it’s good enough for us). I know you like Flood but he is on the descent, I can’t see him being here next season.

Murdoch is poor amongst a number of others and shouldn’t be here next year.

Most of the latest batch of signings don’t look good enough tbh.

After a good looking start Csaba is making the same baffling decisions as the previous incumbents. We are playing slow, phanny about at the back football which is **** to watch.

Injuries play a big part but we have a lot of players who are injury prone so it’s not a huge surprise.

Think GB called it regarding Scobbie - would be a good signing if he could stay fit. He pointed out Scobbie had barely managed 20 games in each of the previous 2 seasons...would suggest he’s on course for a similar return this season.

Maybe we need to be more hard nosed in who we sign, taking into account all the factors.

Every signing in football is an educated guess.

Sadly for us we haven't remembered the importance of the "educated" part.

Would be really interested to find out just how many different players have been used in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    The fact Hibs wanted to keep Fyvie and Hearts are wanting to sign Fraser may suggest differently. I would say both could easily play in The Premiership if showing the form they were before they were injured.
    Fyvie was wanted as a squad player for Hibs but thought he could do better, prompting Hibs to withdraw their interest. look at their central midfield, McGinn, McGeouch, Allan, Bartley, Swanson - Fyvie isn't near that team.

I've yet to see anything other than paper talk RE Scott Fraser to Hearts, usually involving Hearts distancing themselves from the signing - I wouldn't be surprised to se him move to a Premiership team at the end of his contract as he's a cheap gamble with decent experience, however I'd be stunned to see him starting and influencing games at that level.

Fans on here have short memories RE Fraser, the bulk of his time in the first team has involved people saying he's ****e/bad attitude/powderpuff/too busy playing with his hair etc - he's bang average. He had a decent patch of form prior to injury but tbh I reckon that's because he's found his level.

I've more critical than most about Fraser but this season he's been great, especially since Csaba took over. It could be to do with the level or it could be he's just getting better. He's played at this level before and looked crap.

Csaba has had almost 4 months to assess his squad , find out the best formations and sort of the weak areas of the squad.

This is his job, it's what he gets paid to do - yes, we have injuries, but he should be able to address these issues and still play a strong, solid team of players who won't accept anything less than a win.

I have posted on here that United gifted St Mirren the league in January - BUT, if Csaba was able to select the right team of players with a winning mentality, who had no fear and the confidence of going on a winning run we would still have a chance.

For this to happen United would need to win all their games in hand and beat St Mirren at Tannadice - is this possible ? I think with the right attitude and gritty determination it could happen - but only if we had players in the team who hate losing and won't accept anything less than a win.

This is why team selection, tactics, motivation and confidence is so important.

If we can't catch them, at least stand up and give it your best shot.

There is no place for any passengers in the team - lets hope Csaba can motivate the players to at least go down fighting.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)