+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: John Williams and Martin Goodman Gone

John Williams and Martin Goodman Gone

Huge breaking Albion news - Chairman John Williams and chief executive Martin Goodman have had their contracts terminated and have been placed on gardening leave. #wba

Mark Jenkins is returning as CEO. #wba

Interesting. Gearing up for the Championship next season I presume.

One small step for mankind etc. etc...

Have to say that Mr Lai has really gone up in my estimations.

Well done Sir, brave decision but just wish you had done it a lot earlier. However better late than never.

I have no idea what they do at the club. That's not a criticism, I just don't know what they do or bring to the table, just like the guy coming in.

If they make the appointments, then (correct me if I'm wrong) Hammond/Garlick/Pulis were already at the club when they joined. They were given a mandate to appoint someone with premier league experience when Pulis left and Pardew was probably the best name they could appoint against that mandate.

So then its just general running of the club, how to balance the books etc...they've backed the manager in both transfer windows last summer and in January.

I don't see how they could have helped deliver results anymore than they have. Technically, they are like accountants / directors and not involved in footballing decisions apart from the financials.

If I'm miles out, please do let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I have no idea what they do at the club. That's not a criticism, I just don't know what they do or bring to the table, just like the guy coming in.

If they make the appointments, then (correct me if I'm wrong) Hammond/Garlick/Pulis were already at the club when they joined. They were given a mandate to appoint someone with premier league experience when Pulis left and Pardew was probably the best name they could appoint against that mandate.

So then its just general running of the club, how to balance the books etc...they've backed the manager in both transfer windows last summer and in January.

I don't see how they could have helped deliver results anymore than they have. Technically, they are like accountants / directors and not involved in footballing decisions apart from the financials.

If I'm miles out, please do let me know...
    Agreed don't see what they do with matters on the pitch unless under strict orders from Mr Lai .

I said in a post last night that the chairman,Hammond and Garlick needed to go and we needed to entice Ashworth back.

I’m not impressed at Lai doing this now,it was evident from the start that the nonentity Williams was an awful choice.

The chairman is not much more than a figurehead so in that regard Brendon Batson would be a better choice.

Hammond and Garlick have to be next through the exit.....pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    .....just like the guy coming in.........
    The 'new guy coming in' is Mark Jenkins, our former CEO of four**** years. Mr Jenkins was essentially Jeremy Peace's right hand/hatchet man and attack dog rolled into one. During his time with us he had a reputation for not giving a stuff about anyone or anything, just as well in a way as he is not (and as far as I'm aware never was) popular behind the scenes at the Albion.

I believe he will have been appointed to steady the ship, recommend cuts where appropriate and carry out any 'dirty work' as deemed necessary. When he left there was reportedly much spleen venting behind the scenes as many were relieved to see the back of him. Expect further blood letting both in terms of the commercial department and administration.

He's here to 'streamline' things in readiness for next season, be it in the Prem' or the Championship. I'd imagine he'll be giving Mr Hammond and a few others a call within the next few days, if not hours. You never know though, as it may have been Mr Hammond who raised concerns re' the board higher up the food chain in the first instance.

As an aside not long back there was talk of the board consulting the Albion Assembly re' season tickets for next year. I very much doubt he'll pay them so much as the lip service they were afforded by Williams and Goodman.

'Interesting' times lie ahead.

I am not convinced that the chinaman has a clue about football in this country. Peace sold to the first person that he could persuade to part with more money than the club was worth! I suspect that the chinaman was convinced that owning a Premier League club was a licence to print money. Now we will soon find out if his pockets are deep enough to pull the club around and mount a determined effort to return to the Prem at the first attempt.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)