+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will relagation be that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by GLAWSTERBAGGIE View Post
    The mid table teams are just there to make up the numbers , for me you cant seriously compete with the top six anymore and everyone else is afraid of the dreaded drop.

There is life after the premiership for a season or two , look at our neighbours , playing some decent stuff to be fair.

Three teams go down because they have not played well enough over a season, I hope we stay up but I can accept relagation because we have been crap for 18 months

At least we wont be last on Match of The Day.
    I was thinking the same thing not long back. There are pros, like new grounds to go to. I've been to every prem league ground, but there's about 10 in the Championship I haven't been to. Then there's a chance of winning the league, albeit at a lower level.

On the flip side, the championship is hard. The standard is very good, its probably the best 2nd tier in world football. However, its not the premiership, you're not going to get world class players at the Hawthorns every week which we have had for the best part of a decade.

But what I would like least is the lack of exposure, not being talked about or on Monday night football etc. I seriously don't know half of Birmingham's first XI. I wouldn't be able to go on holiday and watch us on some dodgy channel.

So of course, I'd rather we stayed up. But if we go down, lets deal with it and try to come back stronger.

"But what I would like least is the lack of exposure, not being talked about or on Monday night football etc."

But they don't talk about us anyway, 123. I'd rather be totally ignored than have Bumfluff condescendingly giving us a postscript, such as:-
    "Enough about VAR and Liverpool missing Coutinho. West Brom put up a fairly reasonable performance.
    Now, onto our next match.........."

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing not long back. There are pros, like new grounds to go to. I've been to every prem league ground, but there's about 10 in the Championship I haven't been to. Then there's a chance of winning the league, albeit at a lower level.

On the flip side, the championship is hard. The standard is very good, its probably the best 2nd tier in world football. However, its not the premiership, you're not going to get world class players at the Hawthorns every week which we have had for the best part of a decade.

But what I would like least is the lack of exposure, not being talked about or on Monday night football etc. I seriously don't know half of Birmingham's first XI. I wouldn't be able to go on holiday and watch us on some dodgy channel.

So of course, I'd rather we stayed up. But if we go down, lets deal with it and try to come back stronger.
    Well put 123

Sky really dont give a monkeys about anyone outside the top 6 in the prem.

We have to deal with it .

I'm not that sure we will be able to cope with relegation as well as we used to in the past, when we went down in the past we always kept the nucleus of the squad that was relegated with only a few changes, this season due to our high wage bill i think the loss of players will go a lot deeper and we could be left with a very thread bare squad like Sunderland and Hull have done this season, i think we might have to hope that our kids are good enough to play championship football as they may well be a big part of our squad next season.

If all your interested in is your club making shed loads of money and being run as a business then relegation is a disaster.
    If you support your football club and its "in your blood" and not just there to generate money for someone who really doesn't give a flying f##k. Then does it really matter what division you watch your team in?

Get relegated and I will be lying on my sunbed this summer believing there is a strong possibility we can have a good season in the Championship. Stay in the Prem and my expectation would be another season of struggle.

Ask Villa fans if they have enjoyed this season more than their last couple in the Prem.

Don't get the comment on the crap grounds in the division. Currently there are only 3 or 4 that might fit that description and would I rather visit corporate St Mary's again or little old Griffin Park?

Yes I hope we stay up but for me the Prem is most definitely not what it is all about.

COYB

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    I'm not that sure we will be able to cope with relegation as well as we used to in the past, when we went down in the past we always kept the nucleus of the squad that was relegated with only a few changes, this season due to our high wage bill i think the loss of players will go a lot deeper and we could be left with a very thread bare squad like Sunderland and Hull have done this season, i think we might have to hope that our kids are good enough to play championship football as they may well be a big part of our squad next season.
    I’m sure you’re right about coping with relegation. None of us really know how things will unfold between now and the start of next season. In the past when we were a yo-yo club, JP obviously had a plan and we eventually consolidated ourselves as a Premier League club on a sound footing. When we finished 10th and previously 8th, I’m sure relegation wasn’t too much of a worry hence the decisions made on playing staff. Turns out, the powers that be may not have seen this one coming. This is the problem having had the likes of Williams and having Garlick and Hammond in charge of affairs. We’re now truly in the s*it

Quote Originally Posted by GLAWSTERBAGGIE View Post
    Well put 123

Sky really dont give a monkeys about anyone outside the top 6 in the prem.

We have to deal with it .
    They've done everything in their power to fund Leeds United's return.

Another thing I'll miss in the championship is giving the big clubs a bloody nose every now and again. We've beaten all of them in the last few years apart from Man City I think..

I suspect a lot of turmoil if relegated. Mr Lai for all his worth doesn't appear to have shown the commitment and ambition for the club as fans would have expected. ie new ideas new proven exciting manager etc. The Premiership is surely high profile for him in terms of fronting his business interests but that profile will surely be lost once relegation is confirmed. Lai will then put the club up for sale.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)