+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford United Post Match Thoughts

Blame Frog for the early sub

Thought Vaulks Towell and Newell had a great game

Should have scored more

Good to see Taylor on pitch

3 points puts us in 4th

Newell MOTM

UTMM!

First thing to do is get Newell on a extended contract, let's not let a good player leave the club on a free-bie end of season, there will be teams sniffing for his signature, his agent will be after his commision & will try to get the best offer.
    Good team performance, but feel the same has Brin regarding Ajayi, he can be a bit erratic at times, he needs to polish this then he will be a top centre back.

May be in a minority of one but thought Oxford played some decent stuff @ times.
    Bit more clinical upfront we could have had an uneasy night.

Having said that we could have had at least a couple more with better finishing/final balls

MOM - Newell closely followed by Vaulks

Rodak - Still to be convinced

Great result

Injury to Mattock is a worry. Strange that Purrington has not been on the bench for the last two games, and is Hinds fit to play? I'd rather see a proper left back in for the next game rather than a player being played out of position, if Mattock is ruled out.
    Mattock has had quite a good spell for us this season , although he was to blame for the goal conceded at Scunny. He's a decent League 1 player, but no more than that. Lets hope that Warney's "magic sponge" will sort him out for our next game

Also agree about getting Newell on an extended contract.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 13-02-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Forde should be dropped for Bailey-King, he isn't a footballer. Taylor should be on for Newell. Newell can't last 90 minutes. I say it like I see it. I would play Lavery up front on his own and play 5 in midfield because to get that new lad from Burton in the team you couldn't drop Towell or Vaulks. Did I ever tell you what a great player Vaulks is.

Like I said I only say it as I see it.

No need for gwru to post now..... I think I have said it all.

... and you're more right than wrong (allegedly) LOL!

How good is that midfield four, with four decent players to step in if need be. Best four midfielders as a unit in this league hands down, take a bow forde, towell, vaulks & newell

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    May be in a minority of one but thought Oxford played some decent stuff @ times.
    Bit more clinical upfront we could have had an uneasy night.

Having said that we could have had at least a couple more with better finishing/final balls

MOM - Newell closely followed by Vaulks

Rodak - Still to be convinced
    No you're not in a minority of one, we also thought Oxford played some decent football, although not good enough to be top six.
    Even though we didn't close the player down for their goal he still took it well.
    Thought we were ' up for this one ', more of the same against the Shrews.
    My man of the match.....Joe Newell
    12 undefeated, 3 draws 9 wins keep it going lads.
    4th in the table....
    More points & higher in the table than I thought they would be.
    Good value for money game.
    Last edited by Casper64Frank; 14-02-2018 at 12:15 AM.

Start with the one negative. Bench: we have cover everywhere but left back. Yates isn't going to come on. Purrington or Hinds got to be. Match was job done. Forde can't fault him but they weren't the strongest. Newell impressive, Vaulks his tackle that set up Newell in the 2nd half to go clear when the low cross wasn't converted was the highlight. Ball is it time to give Lavery a start?

I also thought Oxford were a decent, lively side and were tough opponents, which made for a cracking entertaining game. The midfield were immense. Mattock going off changed the flow of the game, up to that point he was on course for another MOM performance, we looked much more exposed down that side after his injury.
    Thought the ref and linesman on the east stand side were dreadful. Smith was being grappled all evening by that defender, arms all over him, and never got anything.
    All in all a really good game though.

One final note on the atmosphere. It was bobar from start to finish. This team deserve better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast