Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: 80 ish Points?

  1. #1

    80 ish Points?

    Here are the final standings for last season....

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le...0355r8;st;fp;1

    Hypothetically, we're 23 points from automatic promotion with 42 points (14 games) to play for.

    This is totally doable. Could be done on 6 or 7 wins and a few draws...

    COYP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Also, no more cup competitions of any kind to get distracted by,,,

  3. #3
    Used to think it might be 80 points. The way Wycombe and Accie keep winning though makes me think it could be a fair bit more.

    I think Iíd take the play offs now tbf. Especially if the slags donít go up.

  4. #4
    The key games to look out for are Wycombe at home, Mansfield at home (Shudder), Coventry at home and Accy away. Do well in these games and it should give us a very good chance of a top 3 spot.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CmonUSexyStylishPies View Post
    The key games to look out for are Wycombe at home, Mansfield at home (Shudder), Coventry at home and Accy away. Do well in these games and it should give us a very good chance of a top 3 spot.
    Mansfield at home...I already feel sick

  6. #6
    There is no set number of points, it's all relative to other teams.

    Tonight we won when some sacred cows like 'Grant must always play and we have to be grateful to him' were dropped. Now let's dump Duffy and take it another step forward.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Here are the final standings for last season....

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le...0355r8;st;fp;1

    Hypothetically, we're 23 points from automatic promotion with 42 points (14 games) to play for.

    This is totally doable. Could be done on 6 or 7 wins and a few draws...

    COYP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do the maths again. Another 23 points only gets us to 80. That would only have seen us in the play offs!

  8. #8
    Duffy tried his best to get sent off, why is he the captain ffs

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    There is no set number of points, it's all relative to other teams.

    Tonight we won when some sacred cows like 'Grant must always play and we have to be grateful to him' were dropped. Now let's dump Duffy and take it another step forward.
    Looking at this website, barring a couple of mad years, 80 has been enough to go up in 3rd spot over the last 10 years.

    http://www.emfootball.co.uk/leaguetables.html

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nottscol View Post
    Do the maths again. Another 23 points only gets us to 80. That would only have seen us in the play offs!
    No, cos 4th spot was 77 points...If we replace the 3rd team we would have gone up on 78. Just suggesting 80 as a safety net.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Looking at this website, barring a couple of mad years, 80 has been enough to go up in 3rd spot over the last 10 years.

    http://www.emfootball.co.uk/leaguetables.html
    Yes, but the reality is we are now behind Wycombe, so we have to get more points then them. It may not make sense that they get last minute goals from morbidly obese strikers, but we have to deal with it and get more points than them

  12. #12
    As it stands having played 32 games we have 57 points, so this works out at an average of 1.78 points per game. Kevin Nolan also has a 50% win ratio this season with 16 wins from 32 games.

    So on this basis if we continue along our average path we would finish on 82 points having won 23 games, drawn 13 and lost 10.

    Based on last season that would put us in 4th place and a playoff spot. Will that be enough this season for automatic promotion? Who knows?

    One thing is for certain it is very tight in terms of goal difference with us, Accrington, Wycombe and Mansfield all within 2 goals of each other. As CUSSP says lots of big games to come and there will be plenty of twist and turns along the way.

    Also I think it's worth mentioning that tonight see us surpass our total points tally for last season with 14 games left to play. We finished 16th with 56 points, so it's official that whatever happens from here on in it will go on record that we have made progress on the field. So congratulations KN and AH all the staff, coaches and players at the club for the work done so far.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 13-02-2018 at 10:11 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Yes, but the reality is we are now behind Wycombe, so we have to get more points then them. It may not make sense that they get last minute goals from morbidly obese strikers, but we have to deal with it and get more points than them
    I'm quietly confident that Wycombe and Accy will both have their dip in form at some point and the magpies will rise, swoop and steal like they're supposed to...

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    I'm quietly confident that Wycombe and Accy will both have their dip in form at some point and the magpies will rise, swoop and steal like they're supposed to...
    They stole Father Jack's glasses so I suppose it's possible. I think we can do it if we rid ourselves of complacency. Dropping Grant against the wisdom of some 'experts' was a very good start.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Yes, but the reality is we are now behind Wycombe, so we have to get more points then them. It may not make sense that they get last minute goals from morbidly obese strikers, but we have to deal with it and get more points than them
    I laughed so hard at this

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    They stole Father Jack's glasses so I suppose it's possible. I think we can do it if we rid ourselves of complacency. Dropping Grant against the wisdom of some 'experts' was a very good start.
    I agree with that. It was good management. If we can get Grant back to his best for the last run in he will be a huge asset again. Needs a couple of games off or coming on as an impact sub to make sure he doesn't get too big for his boots. I'd probably bench him for Newport as well.

  17. #17
    You can do as much maths as you want, the fact is we have to do better than 21 other teams and that means doing better than at least one of the teams above us.

    It's not quite in our hands as it was a couple of months ago. We have Wycombe and Mansfield (after last night I won't slag them off) and Accrington (who we can't catch if they do as well as us even if we beat them).

    Forget about Luton, barring a collapse they're gone.

    And there are others waiting in the wings for a hint of a slip up. There's usually one that has a strong finish from outside the play-off zones. Maybe Exeter will recapture their early season form and maximise the two game advantage they have.

    So all Accrington, Wycombe, and Exeter have to do is as well or better than us and Luton can afford a little slip and we're into play-off territory.

    Or we can recover our early season form and smash it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Here are the final standings for last season....

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le...0355r8;st;fp;1

    Hypothetically, we're 23 points from automatic promotion with 42 points (14 games) to play for.

    This is totally doable. Could be done on 6 or 7 wins and a few draws...

    COYP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    85 points should just about get us 3rd place. But the way we are playing at the moment there is no way we are going to achieve them points...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    85 points should just about get us 3rd place. But the way we are playing at the moment there is no way we are going to achieve them points...
    Classic example being last night against Carlisle of course, where we were so mediocre and therefore didn't get any points...oh hang on...

  20. #20
    I donít think 80 points will be enough for automatic promotion. The teams above us and Mansfield are all capable of gaining 25-30pts each.
    How we play does not bother me if we can pick up the points necessary to achieve promotion. We have hopefully had our blip and hopefully the others have theirs too.
    As previously mentioned we have plenty of the sides vying for automatic and play off berths, a bit obvious, however, how we get on in these games will go a long way to determining where we end up.
    Stead is currently in hot form but we need Grant back to his best, Hewitt and Husin to be consistently dominating midfield and chipping in with goals.
    Letís be honest, in July and August we were **** and destined to Conference football. The players we have have put us within touching distance of something special and whether it happens or not, is not through a lack of effort. We as fans should try and back them and play our part getting the club over the line. Whatever happens itís been much more enjoyable being a Pies fan compared to god knows how many years of turgid football and off field issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •