+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Government threatens Oxfam

Government threatens Oxfam

Penny Mordaunt has told Oxfam the £32m they receive from the government is at risk, unless they show 'moral leadership' over the *** scandals engulfing them. Well, moral leadership from the fat cats running a corrupt charity scam like Oxfam is about as likely as Tony Mowbray leading Blackburn Rovers to the PL title, it just isn't going to happen.

But nevertheless I'll make a prediction, Oxfam won't lose a penny of their funding, taxpayers money will continue to flow their way no matter what. And I don't need to explain why do I. Norder will know anyway.

"At Risk" What a joke, they have covered this up for years, we should grow some bollox and stop the donations, there are many more fish in the sea to fund, probably just as corrupt maybe, but why are we so lenient ?

Well, if they don't lose funding then it will cast a massive shadow over ALL major charities. No way would I consider giving them a penny at the moment, and it raises doubts in my mind about other organisations. And I can't be alone in my thinking.

I normally give most of my charity money to the BBC Children in Need/Red Nose Day and I will continue to do so.

And it begs the question...what has our society become? Who can you trust?

Politicians, bankers, journalists, church leaders etc...and now charity workers.

The trouble is, the nation will soon reach "enragement saturation" and it will become the norm, and people will stop caring.

Without doubt, people are generally much more selfish and self centred than we used to be. And I am certain that the watershed was the Thatcher years.
    These days self reliance is key. "I'm all right Jack, bugger the others" is the default mindset for most people.
    Will it ever change? I doubt it. If someone is comfortably off then why rock the boat? The status quo suits them just fine.

I think the inevitable outcome will be that we will cut our foreign aid budget, which a rump of Tory MP's have always wanted to do.

We have become a greedy, insular, uncaring society, which suits the rich right wing members of our country down to the ground.

"we should grow some bollox and stop the donations"

That's the problem though Alto, 'we' would stop the donations, but 'they' won't, because 'they' all piss in the same pot. The elites at the top of the Quangos, Charities, Government departments, the Civil Service, the entire Political Class, all look out for each other.

Remember Cameron's Bonfire of the Quangos ? Never happened did it ? Neither will Oxfam lose their funding.

" and it raises doubts in my mind about other organisations."

As well it might 59/60, I don't know if this sort of thing ever sees the light of day in the lefty media outlets you get your news from, but you can add the UN to your 'doubtful' list.

Child ***ual abuse by UN peacekeepers
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An Associated Press investigation revealed in 2017 that more than 100 UN peacekeepers ran a child *** ring in Haiti over a 10 year period and none were ever jailed. The report further found that over the past 12 years there have been almost 2,000 allegations of ***ual abuse and exploitation by peacekeepers and other U.N. personnel around the world. A.P. found the abuse is much greater than previously known. After the A.P. report, U.S. Ambassador to the U.N., Nikki Haley, urged all countries to hold U.N. peacekeeping soldiers accountable for any ***ual abuse and exploitation. As early as 2004, Amnesty International reported that under-age girls were being kidnapped, tortured and forced into prostitution in Kosovo with U.N. and NATO personnel being the customers driving the demand for the *** slaves. The U.N.'s department of peacekeeping in New York acknowledged at that time that "peacekeepers have come to be seen as part of the problem in trafficking rather than the solution".

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

I normally give most of my charity money to the BBC Children in Need/Red Nose Day and I will continue to do so.

I think the inevitable outcome will be that we will cut our foreign aid budget, which a rump of Tory MP's have always wanted to do.

We have become a greedy, insular, uncaring society, which suits the rich right wing members of our country down to the ground.
    I hope you hold your red nose when you donate to the BBC 59/60, I will certainly not support an organisation complicit in first facilitating and then covering up the disgusting activities of Mr Jimmy Saville, my money goes elsewhere.

The 0.7% of GDP to the Foreign Aid Budget was in the 2010 Conservative Manifesto, it was passed under a Tory PM and a Tory ID Secretary. The Grauniad notes that the passage of the bill was 'met with jubilation by NGOs'. You bet it was, amongst those whooping loudest would have been the child molesters and rapists working for Oxfam.

This from the C4 website appears to contradict your view that we are, as a nation, greedy and uncaring.

"As of December 2016, there were 167,000 registered charities in England and Wales, with a collective annual income of over £70 billion."

Generosity on an epic scale shown by my fellow countrymen. I'm proud of them.

It’s not all donations though.

The main sources of income are:
    Gifts and donations
    Grants
    Loan financing and equity capital
    Contracts
    Trading

A lot of charity income comes from grants from Governments coffers and local authorities. Oxfam got millions from Uk government and the EU.
    Some charities act as a front for these organisations doing things their voters might not like. We have had a massively over engineered cycle lane forced upon us because Scottish Government want to see us cycling and they made it a requirement of local authorities to to introduce more Cycle lanes. We were told the money came from Sustrans a charity (so wouldn’t cost us anything) .. who got the money from Scottish Government. Local consultation was a sham as no one knew it was happening.
    Other charities fill gaps in care that the NHS can’t reach. Motability hasn’t done bad with £2bn savings from providing cars for the disabled.

Aye, it's a conundrum. I really want to support charities that genuinely want to help the deprived in our country and round the world, but I have always been suspicious of the bigger ones. I have seen evidence that only a fraction of the money goes to the people in need in some of these organisations.

The BBC guarantee that every penny will reach the needy and that is why I choose to support them - despite it being a far from perfect organisation (Jimmy Saville etc).

And the United Nations have never been fit for purpose - we can agree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Penny Mordaunt has told Oxfam the £32m they receive from the government is at risk, unless they show 'moral leadership' ......
    if these wealthy charities were honest - then that would be a Red Nose day Joke....another Judas taking money from the High Priests of Government...the same western powers that arm and train rebel groups to help put western backed tyrants and their rogue and repressive governments in power - those being favourable to Western commercial interests of course....that dig or pump their valuable resources from the earth - and spirit them away leaving the citizens without clean water and waiting for the next "Charitable" aid drop.....and what of the little wealth that remains ?..... well that can be sucked out through loan payments or illegitimate debt - and being as more of that leaves than goes into it in the the form of Aid....they're right royally screwed.

Aid to Africa: donations from west mask '$60bn looting' of continent
    https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...ting-continent

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

I'm shocked 59/60, are you suggesting that there are still in existence some Tory MPs, with the common sense and intelligence to realise that chucking £14 billion per annum, and not a penny less, at dubious overseas projects and aid agencies like Oxfam etc, while the NHS and Social Care budgets in this country are in dire need of increased funding, is an exquisite form of imbecility ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)