+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Player Ratings vs Carlisle

Player Ratings vs Carlisle

Blimey, that was a bit tense. Strange game. We were better than we’ve been of late, but in all honesty I thought the better team lost. Carlisle must have had a dozen openings and it looked like they’d never score. Pretty sure there was an offside in our second too, so it’s fair to say we rode our luck.

That said, some decent individual displays in the first half in-particular...

Collin - 5 - Shouldn’t be playing. Just doesn’t inspire confidence. Failed to get down to shot that hit the post, let a corner straight through his hands, threw an easy-to-deal-with looping deflected shot back into his six yard box. Calamitous. Heard Nolan say after he had ‘another excellent game’ so looks like he’s going nowhere.

Tootle - 7 - Big attacking threat first half and had to contend with their most dangerous player 1v1 throughout, with mixed results.

Hall - 7.5 - Excellent debut. Looked composed, strong in the tackle and good in the air - a number of crucial blocks and headers, with the ball regularly flying around our box.

Duffy - 5 - Complete headloss. His tactic of trying to buy free-kicks rather than just winning the ball cost us a goal, and he nearly talked himself into a red card before having to be thrown away by Stead (who probably should be our captain). Has improved this season but would still be more comfortable with Brisley and Hall as our defensive pairing for now.

Jones - 5 - Big fan of his but a major off day in all aspects. Still a far superior player to Dickinson so hopefully just a one-off.

Noble - 7 - Sometimes left Tootle isolated defensively but a decent display out of position on the right. Our wingers very rarely beat a man anyway so we aren’t losing anything by playing him there.

Hewitt - 8* - Makes all the difference having him rattling around in there. Endless work as always.

Husin - 7.5 - Classy on the ball and better off it than he has been previously. Only 20, he could prove to be a hell of a find. Was he free?

Alessandra - 8 - All of his good displays this season have come on the wing. Keep him there! Great game going forward and coming back; an outstanding assist for the opener.

Ameobi - 7.5 - Some sumptuous touches and link-up play, looked more like his old self. Faded a bit and probably should’ve come off earlier. Should’ve scored.

Stead - 8 - Two predatory finishes and worked hard, before fading a little late on. Still think he’s under-rated by our fan base. He’s 34, plays 90 minutes almost every week, scores regularly, is top of the assist charts and is the model pro. Now on-course for his best ever season in-front of goal.

Subs - Both on far too late (no subs ‘til the 83rd minute despite us being outplayed all second half), which could’ve cost us.

Officials - Laughable. The four yellow cards in a minute for Notts players summed the ref up, and I’ve never seen 7 minutes of added time before when there’s been no serious injuries. Thankful that it didn’t cost us.
    Last edited by freemuzzy; 13-02-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Who is Sahin??.

Auto corrected! Now edited.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Officials - Laughable. The four yellow cards in a minute for Notts players summed the ref up, and I’ve never seen 7 minutes of added time before when there’s been no serious injuries. Thankful that it didn’t cost us.
    I agree with your summary of the game, and where the ref got 7 minutes added time from was bizarre, but I don't think the cards can be disputed. We deserved them for sheer lack of discipline.

Blimey, that was a bit tense. Strange game. We were better than we’ve been of late, but in all honesty I thought the better team lost. Carlisle must have had a dozen openings and it looked like they’d never score. Pretty sure there was an offside in our second too, so it’s fair to say we rode our luck.

Collin - 5 - Shouldn’t be playing. Just doesn’t inspire confidence. Failed to get down to shot that hit the post, let a corner straight through his hands, threw an easy-to-deal-with looping deflected shot back into his six yard box. Calamitous. Heard Nolan say after he had ‘another excellent game’ so looks like he’s going nowhere.

Tootle - 7 - Big attacking threat first half and had to contend with their most dangerous player 1v1 throughout, with mixed results.

Hall - 7.5 - Excellent debut. Looked composed, strong in the tackle and good in the air - a number of crucial blocks and headers, with the ball regularly flying around our box.

Duffy - 5 - Complete headloss. His tactic of trying to buy free-kicks rather than just winning the ball cost us a goal, and he nearly talked himself into a red card before having to be thrown away by Stead (who probably should be our captain). Has improved this season but would still be more comfortable with Brisley and Hall as our defensive pairing for now.

Jones - 5 - Big fan of his but a major off day in all aspects. Still a far superior player to Dickinson so hopefully just a one-off.

Noble - 7 - Sometimes left Tootle isolated defensively but a decent display out of position on the right. Our wingers very rarely beat a man anyway so we aren’t losing anything by playing him there.

Hewitt - 8* - Makes all the difference having him rattling around in there. Endless work as always.

Husin - 7.5 - Classy on the ball and better off it than he has been previously. Only 20, he could prove to be a hell of a find. Was he free?

Alessandra - 8 - All of his good displays this season have come on the wing. Keep him there! Great game going forward and coming back; an outstanding assist for the opener.

Ameobi - 7.5 - Some sumptuous touches and link-up play, looked more like his old self. Faded a bit and probably should’ve come off earlier. Should’ve scored.

Stead - 8 - Two predatory finishes and worked hard, before fading a little late on. Still think he’s under-rated by our fan base. He’s 34, plays 90 minutes almost every week, scores regularly, is top of the assist charts and is the model pro. Now on-course for his best ever season in-front of goal.

Subs - Both on far too late (no subs ‘til the 83rd minute despite us being outplayed all second half), which could’ve cost us.

I think this is an excellent analysis and it sums up my thoughts perfectly.

I agree pretty much 100% with the ratings by the OP.

Let's face it, most of the goals we've conceded this season involve a Richard Duffy error somewhere in the build-up, but tonight was farcical. He's gone down screaming and holding his head too many times for me to believe it's genuine, and tonight he got caught out. That was bad enough, but to then almost get sent off for carrying on his argument with the referee did not represent the actions of a captain. I also find it alarming that Jon Stead had to run half the length of the pitch to push him back, when the manager is five yards away and should have control over his players. Plus, even then, Duffy had the audacity to push stead back instead shutting up and getting the hell away. We're often told Duffy is a leader and a man's man, but I think it's nearer the truth to say he's a bang average (converted) centre half with a hot head.

I also agree about Adam Collin and I don't know what Nolo was watching if he thought he had an "excellent" game. I'll give the manager the benefit of the doubt that it's a bit of psychology to boost Collin's confidence, which is fair enough, because any goalkeeper would need a few games to get back in the groove after a long spell out, and getting 8 put past him at Swansea can't have done him any good. He needs to start getting it together though, otherwise Fitzsimons looks the better option. I certainly think Ross is sharper and quicker in his decision-making, even though he hasn't got the same physical presence as Collin.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I agree pretty much 100% with the ratings by the OP.

Let's face it, most of the goals we've conceded this season involve a Richard Duffy error somewhere in the build-up, but tonight was farcical. He's gone down screaming and holding his head too many times for me to believe it's genuine, and tonight he got caught out. That was bad enough, but to then almost get sent off for carrying on his argument with the referee did not represent the actions of a captain. I also find it alarming that Jon Stead had to run half the length of the pitch to push him back, when the manager is five yards away and should have control over his players. Plus, even then, Duffy had the audacity to push stead back instead shutting up and getting the hell away. We're often told Duffy is a leader and a man's man, but I think it's nearer the truth to say he's a bang average (converted) centre half with a hot head.

I also agree about Adam Collin and I don't know what Nolo was watching if he thought he had an "excellent" game. I'll give the manager the benefit of the doubt that it's a bit of psychology to boost Collin's confidence, which is fair enough, because any goalkeeper would need a few games to get back in the groove after a long spell out, and getting 8 put past him at Swansea can't have done him any good. He needs to start getting it together though, otherwise Fitzsimons looks the better option. I certainly think Ross is sharper and quicker in his decision-making, even though he hasn't got the same physical presence as Collin.
    Duffy lost his head tonight it's as simple as and just would not let it go. The referee is not going to change his mind no matter how much anyone argues, or complains regardless of whether a player is incensed or thinks it's unjust. We the fans know all too well and get just as angry and incensed with them. The thing is the fans can and will let the referee know what they think and he will hear, but he can't send us off. Thankfully Jon Stead came to the rescue as Duffy was on the verge of talking himself into a red card the way I saw it.

Agree with the player markings......the officials added the 7 minutes on because of blatant time wasting and diving by Notts players....1 minute for Noble plus the booking, 3 minutes for Duffy and his pathetic attempt, another minute for Husin strolling with the ball in hand, plus booking.....another two minutes for the fracas when Stead had to physically restrain Duffy, who as Jackal rightly pointed out, was about to get sent off....IMO the ref got it spot on, though it cost me a few fingernails as I had a wedge on Notts to win.....if only Shola had tucked away his glorious opportunity, I could have spent the last 20 minutes celebrating instead of hiding behind the commode.....sofa to you lot!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Duffy lost his head tonight it's as simple as and just would not let it go. The referee is not going to change his mind no matter how much anyone argues, or complains regardless of whether a player is incensed or thinks it's unjust. We the fans know all too well and get just as angry and incensed with them. The thing is the fans can and will let the referee know what they think and he will hear, but he can't send us off. Thankfully Jon Stead came to the rescue as Duffy was on the verge of talking himself into a red card the way I saw it.
    For what it's worth, I think Duffy was fouled in the build-up to their goal, but he does himself no favours at all with the repeated theatrical "Aaaaarrrggghh" then falling to the ground. His gobbing off at the ref was plain stupid, and the fact he continued after being carded could easily have left us with 10 men. One second half error apart, I thought Ben Hall had an impressive debut, and once Brisley is fit looks worth a chance as his partner in central defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    For what it's worth, I think Duffy was fouled in the build-up to their goal, but he does himself no favours at all with the repeated theatrical "Aaaaarrrggghh" then falling to the ground. His gobbing off at the ref was plain stupid, and the fact he continued after being carded could easily have left us with 10 men. One second half error apart, I thought Ben Hall had an impressive debut, and once Brisley is fit looks worth a chance as his partner in central defence.
    I agree. I commented at the time that it was a case of ‘boy who cried wolf’ with him in that scenario; he may have been fouled but he’d gone down so many times this game alone it was hard to sympathise. In the area of the pitch he’s in, it’s just not worth the risk and Nolan really needs to tell him to eradicate it immediately.

The backchat was unbelievable; the ref had clearly lost the plot and was carding every Notts player that moved, but he still wasn’t deterred and looked around 2 seconds away from an instant second yellow. Credit to Stead for saving him from this, but Duffy’s conduct all game hardly screamed ‘captain’. The Main Stand made their feelings known and gave him short shrift on both of these occasions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast