+ Visit Notts. County FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Player Ratings vs Carlisle

  1. #1

    Player Ratings vs Carlisle

    Blimey, that was a bit tense. Strange game. We were better than we’ve been of late, but in all honesty I thought the better team lost. Carlisle must have had a dozen openings and it looked like they’d never score. Pretty sure there was an offside in our second too, so it’s fair to say we rode our luck.

    That said, some decent individual displays in the first half in-particular...

    Collin - 5 - Shouldn’t be playing. Just doesn’t inspire confidence. Failed to get down to shot that hit the post, let a corner straight through his hands, threw an easy-to-deal-with looping deflected shot back into his six yard box. Calamitous. Heard Nolan say after he had ‘another excellent game’ so looks like he’s going nowhere.

    Tootle - 7 - Big attacking threat first half and had to contend with their most dangerous player 1v1 throughout, with mixed results.

    Hall - 7.5 - Excellent debut. Looked composed, strong in the tackle and good in the air - a number of crucial blocks and headers, with the ball regularly flying around our box.

    Duffy - 5 - Complete headloss. His tactic of trying to buy free-kicks rather than just winning the ball cost us a goal, and he nearly talked himself into a red card before having to be thrown away by Stead (who probably should be our captain). Has improved this season but would still be more comfortable with Brisley and Hall as our defensive pairing for now.

    Jones - 5 - Big fan of his but a major off day in all aspects. Still a far superior player to Dickinson so hopefully just a one-off.

    Noble - 7 - Sometimes left Tootle isolated defensively but a decent display out of position on the right. Our wingers very rarely beat a man anyway so we aren’t losing anything by playing him there.

    Hewitt - 8* - Makes all the difference having him rattling around in there. Endless work as always.

    Husin - 7.5 - Classy on the ball and better off it than he has been previously. Only 20, he could prove to be a hell of a find. Was he free?

    Alessandra - 8 - All of his good displays this season have come on the wing. Keep him there! Great game going forward and coming back; an outstanding assist for the opener.

    Ameobi - 7.5 - Some sumptuous touches and link-up play, looked more like his old self. Faded a bit and probably should’ve come off earlier. Should’ve scored.

    Stead - 8 - Two predatory finishes and worked hard, before fading a little late on. Still think he’s under-rated by our fan base. He’s 34, plays 90 minutes almost every week, scores regularly, is top of the assist charts and is the model pro. Now on-course for his best ever season in-front of goal.

    Subs - Both on far too late (no subs ‘til the 83rd minute despite us being outplayed all second half), which could’ve cost us.

    Officials - Laughable. The four yellow cards in a minute for Notts players summed the ref up, and I’ve never seen 7 minutes of added time before when there’s been no serious injuries. Thankful that it didn’t cost us.
    Last edited by freemuzzy; 13-02-2018 at 11:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Who is Sahin??.

  3. #3
    Auto corrected! Now edited.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Officials - Laughable. The four yellow cards in a minute for Notts players summed the ref up, and I’ve never seen 7 minutes of added time before when there’s been no serious injuries. Thankful that it didn’t cost us.
    I agree with your summary of the game, and where the ref got 7 minutes added time from was bizarre, but I don't think the cards can be disputed. We deserved them for sheer lack of discipline.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Blimey, that was a bit tense. Strange game. We were better than we’ve been of late, but in all honesty I thought the better team lost. Carlisle must have had a dozen openings and it looked like they’d never score. Pretty sure there was an offside in our second too, so it’s fair to say we rode our luck.

    That said, some decent individual displays in the first half in-particular...

    Collin - 5 - Shouldn’t be playing. Just doesn’t inspire confidence. Failed to get down to shot that hit the post, let a corner straight through his hands, threw an easy-to-deal-with looping deflected shot back into his six yard box. Calamitous. Heard Nolan say after he had ‘another excellent game’ so looks like he’s going nowhere.

    Tootle - 7 - Big attacking threat first half and had to contend with their most dangerous player 1v1 throughout, with mixed results.

    Hall - 7.5 - Excellent debut. Looked composed, strong in the tackle and good in the air - a number of crucial blocks and headers, with the ball regularly flying around our box.

    Duffy - 5 - Complete headloss. His tactic of trying to buy free-kicks rather than just winning the ball cost us a goal, and he nearly talked himself into a red card before having to be thrown away by Stead (who probably should be our captain). Has improved this season but would still be more comfortable with Brisley and Hall as our defensive pairing for now.

    Jones - 5 - Big fan of his but a major off day in all aspects. Still a far superior player to Dickinson so hopefully just a one-off.

    Noble - 7 - Sometimes left Tootle isolated defensively but a decent display out of position on the right. Our wingers very rarely beat a man anyway so we aren’t losing anything by playing him there.

    Hewitt - 8* - Makes all the difference having him rattling around in there. Endless work as always.

    Husin - 7.5 - Classy on the ball and better off it than he has been previously. Only 20, he could prove to be a hell of a find. Was he free?

    Alessandra - 8 - All of his good displays this season have come on the wing. Keep him there! Great game going forward and coming back; an outstanding assist for the opener.

    Ameobi - 7.5 - Some sumptuous touches and link-up play, looked more like his old self. Faded a bit and probably should’ve come off earlier. Should’ve scored.

    Stead - 8 - Two predatory finishes and worked hard, before fading a little late on. Still think he’s under-rated by our fan base. He’s 34, plays 90 minutes almost every week, scores regularly, is top of the assist charts and is the model pro. Now on-course for his best ever season in-front of goal.

    Subs - Both on far too late (no subs ‘til the 83rd minute despite us being outplayed all second half), which could’ve cost us.

    Officials - Laughable. The four yellow cards in a minute for Notts players summed the ref up, and I’ve never seen 7 minutes of added time before when there’s been no serious injuries. Thankful that it didn’t cost us.
    I think this is an excellent analysis and it sums up my thoughts perfectly.

  6. #6
    I agree pretty much 100% with the ratings by the OP.

    Let's face it, most of the goals we've conceded this season involve a Richard Duffy error somewhere in the build-up, but tonight was farcical. He's gone down screaming and holding his head too many times for me to believe it's genuine, and tonight he got caught out. That was bad enough, but to then almost get sent off for carrying on his argument with the referee did not represent the actions of a captain. I also find it alarming that Jon Stead had to run half the length of the pitch to push him back, when the manager is five yards away and should have control over his players. Plus, even then, Duffy had the audacity to push stead back instead shutting up and getting the hell away. We're often told Duffy is a leader and a man's man, but I think it's nearer the truth to say he's a bang average (converted) centre half with a hot head.

    I also agree about Adam Collin and I don't know what Nolo was watching if he thought he had an "excellent" game. I'll give the manager the benefit of the doubt that it's a bit of psychology to boost Collin's confidence, which is fair enough, because any goalkeeper would need a few games to get back in the groove after a long spell out, and getting 8 put past him at Swansea can't have done him any good. He needs to start getting it together though, otherwise Fitzsimons looks the better option. I certainly think Ross is sharper and quicker in his decision-making, even though he hasn't got the same physical presence as Collin.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I agree pretty much 100% with the ratings by the OP.

    Let's face it, most of the goals we've conceded this season involve a Richard Duffy error somewhere in the build-up, but tonight was farcical. He's gone down screaming and holding his head too many times for me to believe it's genuine, and tonight he got caught out. That was bad enough, but to then almost get sent off for carrying on his argument with the referee did not represent the actions of a captain. I also find it alarming that Jon Stead had to run half the length of the pitch to push him back, when the manager is five yards away and should have control over his players. Plus, even then, Duffy had the audacity to push stead back instead shutting up and getting the hell away. We're often told Duffy is a leader and a man's man, but I think it's nearer the truth to say he's a bang average (converted) centre half with a hot head.

    I also agree about Adam Collin and I don't know what Nolo was watching if he thought he had an "excellent" game. I'll give the manager the benefit of the doubt that it's a bit of psychology to boost Collin's confidence, which is fair enough, because any goalkeeper would need a few games to get back in the groove after a long spell out, and getting 8 put past him at Swansea can't have done him any good. He needs to start getting it together though, otherwise Fitzsimons looks the better option. I certainly think Ross is sharper and quicker in his decision-making, even though he hasn't got the same physical presence as Collin.
    Duffy lost his head tonight it's as simple as and just would not let it go. The referee is not going to change his mind no matter how much anyone argues, or complains regardless of whether a player is incensed or thinks it's unjust. We the fans know all too well and get just as angry and incensed with them. The thing is the fans can and will let the referee know what they think and he will hear, but he can't send us off. Thankfully Jon Stead came to the rescue as Duffy was on the verge of talking himself into a red card the way I saw it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Blimey, that was a bit tense. Strange game. We were better than we’ve been of late, but in all honesty I thought the better team lost. Carlisle must have had a dozen openings and it looked like they’d never score. Pretty sure there was an offside in our second too, so it’s fair to say we rode our luck.

    That said, some decent individual displays in the first half in-particular...

    Collin - 5 - Shouldn’t be playing. Just doesn’t inspire confidence. Failed to get down to shot that hit the post, let a corner straight through his hands, threw an easy-to-deal-with looping deflected shot back into his six yard box. Calamitous. Heard Nolan say after he had ‘another excellent game’ so looks like he’s going nowhere.

    Tootle - 7 - Big attacking threat first half and had to contend with their most dangerous player 1v1 throughout, with mixed results.

    Hall - 7.5 - Excellent debut. Looked composed, strong in the tackle and good in the air - a number of crucial blocks and headers, with the ball regularly flying around our box.

    Duffy - 5 - Complete headloss. His tactic of trying to buy free-kicks rather than just winning the ball cost us a goal, and he nearly talked himself into a red card before having to be thrown away by Stead (who probably should be our captain). Has improved this season but would still be more comfortable with Brisley and Hall as our defensive pairing for now.

    Jones - 5 - Big fan of his but a major off day in all aspects. Still a far superior player to Dickinson so hopefully just a one-off.

    Noble - 7 - Sometimes left Tootle isolated defensively but a decent display out of position on the right. Our wingers very rarely beat a man anyway so we aren’t losing anything by playing him there.

    Hewitt - 8* - Makes all the difference having him rattling around in there. Endless work as always.

    Husin - 7.5 - Classy on the ball and better off it than he has been previously. Only 20, he could prove to be a hell of a find. Was he free?

    Alessandra - 8 - All of his good displays this season have come on the wing. Keep him there! Great game going forward and coming back; an outstanding assist for the opener.

    Ameobi - 7.5 - Some sumptuous touches and link-up play, looked more like his old self. Faded a bit and probably should’ve come off earlier. Should’ve scored.

    Stead - 8 - Two predatory finishes and worked hard, before fading a little late on. Still think he’s under-rated by our fan base. He’s 34, plays 90 minutes almost every week, scores regularly, is top of the assist charts and is the model pro. Now on-course for his best ever season in-front of goal.

    Subs - Both on far too late (no subs ‘til the 83rd minute despite us being outplayed all second half), which could’ve cost us.

    Officials - Laughable. The four yellow cards in a minute for Notts players summed the ref up, and I’ve never seen 7 minutes of added time before when there’s been no serious injuries. Thankful that it didn’t cost us.
    Agree with the player markings......the officials added the 7 minutes on because of blatant time wasting and diving by Notts players....1 minute for Noble plus the booking, 3 minutes for Duffy and his pathetic attempt, another minute for Husin strolling with the ball in hand, plus booking.....another two minutes for the fracas when Stead had to physically restrain Duffy, who as Jackal rightly pointed out, was about to get sent off....IMO the ref got it spot on, though it cost me a few fingernails as I had a wedge on Notts to win.....if only Shola had tucked away his glorious opportunity, I could have spent the last 20 minutes celebrating instead of hiding behind the commode.....sofa to you lot!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Duffy lost his head tonight it's as simple as and just would not let it go. The referee is not going to change his mind no matter how much anyone argues, or complains regardless of whether a player is incensed or thinks it's unjust. We the fans know all too well and get just as angry and incensed with them. The thing is the fans can and will let the referee know what they think and he will hear, but he can't send us off. Thankfully Jon Stead came to the rescue as Duffy was on the verge of talking himself into a red card the way I saw it.
    For what it's worth, I think Duffy was fouled in the build-up to their goal, but he does himself no favours at all with the repeated theatrical "Aaaaarrrggghh" then falling to the ground. His gobbing off at the ref was plain stupid, and the fact he continued after being carded could easily have left us with 10 men. One second half error apart, I thought Ben Hall had an impressive debut, and once Brisley is fit looks worth a chance as his partner in central defence.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    For what it's worth, I think Duffy was fouled in the build-up to their goal, but he does himself no favours at all with the repeated theatrical "Aaaaarrrggghh" then falling to the ground. His gobbing off at the ref was plain stupid, and the fact he continued after being carded could easily have left us with 10 men. One second half error apart, I thought Ben Hall had an impressive debut, and once Brisley is fit looks worth a chance as his partner in central defence.
    I agree. I commented at the time that it was a case of ‘boy who cried wolf’ with him in that scenario; he may have been fouled but he’d gone down so many times this game alone it was hard to sympathise. In the area of the pitch he’s in, it’s just not worth the risk and Nolan really needs to tell him to eradicate it immediately.

    The backchat was unbelievable; the ref had clearly lost the plot and was carding every Notts player that moved, but he still wasn’t deterred and looked around 2 seconds away from an instant second yellow. Credit to Stead for saving him from this, but Duffy’s conduct all game hardly screamed ‘captain’. The Main Stand made their feelings known and gave him short shrift on both of these occasions.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Duffy lost his head tonight it's as simple as and just would not let it go. The referee is not going to change his mind no matter how much anyone argues, or complains regardless of whether a player is incensed or thinks it's unjust. We the fans know all too well and get just as angry and incensed with them. The thing is the fans can and will let the referee know what they think and he will hear, but he can't send us off. Thankfully Jon Stead came to the rescue as Duffy was on the verge of talking himself into a red card the way I saw it.
    Duffy was lucky, very lucky, he actually had his hands on the ref after he was carded with that alone he should have been gone but the ref let it go. This was 3 or 4 yards in front of KN, he should have got Duffy away but he didn't ???. it was left to Stead to ...come pelting over to get Duffy away.Husin should not have been booked he was nothing to do with the time wasting throw in it was Jones at fault.
    It was a very tense last 20 minutes you could just feel that Carlisle were going to get a goal or 2, thankfully it was only 1, we have just got to stop conceding these soft giveaway goals, it may just cost us getting out of this league.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBulwell View Post
    Duffy was lucky, very lucky, he actually had his hands on the ref after he was carded with that alone he should have been gone but the ref let it go. This was 3 or 4 yards in front of KN, he should have got Duffy away but he didn't ???.
    Red card makes it very easy to drop a player Look at Fitz. I don't think he's played since his faux pas*.

    Noble to me looks a decent player, he can pass, can tackle and isn't afraid of a a shot. I don't get the hate on here for him. Of the couple of times I've seen him play he's looked pretty decent (I'm in the north east so can't get to every home game).


    * I could be wrong

  13. #13
    Agree with the general consensus on this thread.

    Hewtt/Husin has the makings of a great partnership for the future and even better that they are both 'Notts' players. I thought Husin was close to motm last night. Was by far his best game in a Notts shirt, constantly harried and made a nuisance of himself coupled with some nice touches and a few clever passes.

    Hewitt was clearly still under the weather and we never really saw much of him second half as he faded and this is definitely one of the reasons we decided to try and sit back and protect the lead rather than going for the jugular.

    Solid debut for Hall, looks like he will be a good addition.

    Stead & Shola both did what they do best. Stead is proving to be one of the hardest working consummate professionals this club has seen for some years, just wish he was 24 not 34 lol.

    Duffy, oh Duffy. His histrionics are getting worse and becoming embarrassing. Really needed shipping out last summer. He was greatly improved in first part of the season but you get the measure of a man and a leader when things are not going your way and he is now proving to be nothing but a petulant, foot stamping child and is most definitely not what I would call a leader of men, not from what we have witnessed on the pitch anyway. Drop him, take the armband off him, give it to Stead and let Hall and Brisley try and build a partnership for the remainder of the season.

    Collin, has the ability to make the odd good save but flaps about like a chicken when there's a fox in the coop. Weak wrists, no command of his own box and absolutely dreadful distribution. Fitz was definitely a prat with his sending off but we need him back in goal, I'm not sure Collin even gets his fingers in his gloves properly.

    Jones, great going forward, terrible at defending.

    Tootle & Aless both performed as you would expect them to. Real shame Tootle dragged his shot wide first half as that was a lovely move.

    Finally Noble. I still have mixed views on this. He certainly put a shift in last night but found himself out of position way too often for my liking. This might however be because he wasn't playing in his natural position which is fair enough. His vision for a killer pass and his dead ball delivery is an improvement though on what we have seen previously but still think he is missing something in his game, just can't put a finger on it.

    Overall thankful for the 3 points. Signs in the first half we can match anyone in this league on our day. Should have gone for the kill second half but decided to protect the lead, played too deep and invited the pressure, KN mentioned this in his post match interview so hopefully something they can work on before Newport Saturday.

  14. #14
    Collin didn't have a bad game, he was caught flat footed for the shot that deflected and hit the post from what I remember but it did look odd, I'd have to see the replay again to be sure and he was fouled when coming for a cross but the ref was letting players do whatever they liked to goalkeepers all game for once, we benefitted from it on our scrappy goal and someone also flattened their keeper second half and the ref saw nothing wrong with it. He made a couple of decent saves and dealt with most crosses well enough whereas Fitz would've sat on his line and prayed for Duffy to win a header in the box...

    The yellows were a joke, Noble's booking for jumping out the way of a bad tackle was just stupid, if he didn't jump out of the way it's a definite foul and Liam is probably getting hurt but it's yet another case where even if the ref doesn't think it's a foul it doesn't mean he has to book the player for diving as he was jumping out the way of incoming contact (albeit dramatically).

    Husin was quite clearly walking down the line with the ball looking at the referee asking where the throw in was from, he wouldn't have even been the one taking it considering he'd not taken a throw in all game and didn't end up taking that one, we were doing things slowly from the start but that was probably the one occasion where he couldn't have done much more to avoid a booking.

    Duffy's booking was a result of his complaints to Husin's yellow which is easily avoided if the ref doesn't make that mistake but he still needs to shut up and get on with it, he's never going to rescind a yellow card because you complain about it.

    Allessandra seemed to get booked for a foul throw, not a clue what happened there unless it was his reaction after probably being so amazed that a referee was actually pedantic enough to give a foul throw for once.

    The massive amount of injury time was obvious too, when we made the substitutes Drysdale made no attempt to speed up our players getting off the pitch as refs usually do and I said at the time that he was doing that so he could justify a high amount of injury time.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBulwell View Post
    Duffy was lucky, very lucky, he actually had his hands on the ref after he was carded with that alone he should have been gone but the ref let it go. This was 3 or 4 yards in front of KN, he should have got Duffy away but he didn't ???. it was left to Stead to ...come pelting over to get Duffy away.Husin should not have been booked he was nothing to do with the time wasting throw in it was Jones at fault.
    It was a very tense last 20 minutes you could just feel that Carlisle were going to get a goal or 2, thankfully it was only 1, we have just got to stop conceding these soft giveaway goals, it may just cost us getting out of this league.
    I'm pretty sure it was Husin who put his arm on the ref and not Duffy. I don't think it was aggressive, but still not a very bright thing to do. Those three needless bookings infuriated me. The ref was right to book Husin for time wasting, he had the ball in his hands pretending he didn't know where the throw-in should be taken. He was also right to book Duffy for dissent (and could have gone further), and right to book Allessandra for stupidly kicking the ball away. The problem is the yellows left each player one mis-timed tackle away from leaving us to see the game out with ten men, and we struggled enough with eleven.

  16. #16
    I'm over in Sorrento so missed the match, good to read the players ratings and the comments. Sounds a wee bit like we are still huffing and buffing a bit and not convincing.....

    Matter of interest what was the attendance last night and how many did Carlisle bring (poor sods having to travel all that way on a cold February day/night)

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    I'm over in Sorrento so missed the match, good to read the players ratings and the comments. Sounds a wee bit like we are still huffing and buffing a bit and not convincing.....

    Matter of interest what was the attendance last night and how many did Carlisle bring (poor sods having to travel all that way on a cold February day/night)
    They missed you and your clan so only 3,889 (243), or as AH tweeted "Shame 13,000 from the Crewe game missed a cracking game and see us get back-to-back wins at Meadow Lane."

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was Husin who put his arm on the ref and not Duffy. I don't think it was aggressive, but still not a very bright thing to do. Those three needless bookings infuriated me. The ref was right to book Husin for time wasting, he had the ball in his hands pretending he didn't know where the throw-in should be taken. He was also right to book Duffy for dissent (and could have gone further), and right to book Allessandra for stupidly kicking the ball away. The problem is the yellows left each player one mis-timed tackle away from leaving us to see the game out with ten men, and we struggled enough with eleven.
    Yeah it was Husin who grabbed the ref's arm, did make me worry a bit at the time, Drysdale is exactly the kind of ref to react like someone with leprosy had touched him and given a straight ref for it.

  19. #19
    Battled well but as usual we were left nervously eyeing the clock.silly bookings and a below average goalkeeping performance. Hall looks a great asset, have like husin since his arrival.noble looked better, Hewitt is a no brainer brings every player together and controls midfield.duffy was an embarrassment get him out the side!! Didn't miss hawkridge. Stead was exemplary again , please stop the detracters on here . Sholas back to form and allesandra was a constant thorn in their side.needed subs earlier.

  20. #20
    Duffy should have been sent off, only reason is he would miss games, and give someone else a chance, Nolan won't drop him even when he helps the opposition to score

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •