+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I being irrational here?

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Doubt you were as fit as these lads who have more to risk, it's the usual "man" thing look how tough I am, they are training tights and manufactured for a reason, training is nothing like a match... still lets insist they dispense with training attire and to hell with hamstring, knee tendonitis and such injuries for matchday's
    the players of today are too soft , half of them wear gloves and woolly hats nowadays when it gets a bit nippy lol . and then five minutes later they are out for three games because they have pulled a muscle or broke a fingernail in training lol

players a few years ago trained in shirts and shorts , only thing they had on extra was a bib with their number or name on , bremner and charlton were having a pint, and a fag , and a game of dominoes ten minutes after training lol and they were, world class players at the time, and they were playing three games a week, for the best part of ten years on pitches that would be classed as unplayable nowadays. lol

Yes but the game is played at a different speed these day's

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Yes but the game is played at a different speed these day's
    dont make me laugh lol , its virtually a non contact sport nowadays , players nowadays are far too protected , its nothing like as physical as it used to be , players in them days would spend half the season been suspended if they were playing now. bremner , charlton , hunter , and all the rest would be getting sent off virtually every week if they were playing now lol.
    Last edited by Marley past ghosts; 16-02-2018 at 12:17 AM.

I know its less physical now in the sense of tackling... we recalled on here the Leeds v Chelsea cup final...

But it's far quicker speed, look at the shape of the players for a start in their tight fit shirts, doubt Dave Mackay would have got on well with them. At the top teams far more closing/pressing, you see the workrate of Liverpool or Citeh in attack, better pitches it's bound to be quicker, I for one am glad stuff like tackling from behind has gone. The likes of Eddie getting kicked to f@ck limping around on the pitch, with the hatchet men running amok, and the europeans were every bit as good off the ball.
    Running is a non contact sport, you telling me their not super fit these days...

fitness has improved definately over the years .and technology as improved players in terms of fitness .

but lets face it nowadays , many of your top players are just simply pampered prima donnas ,

can you imagine jack charlton running round the cinder track , with a woolly hat and gloves on eh lol

no neither can i , give me the seventies anyday of the week fella lol

the revie side used to play nearly sixty games a season on a regular basis, with a squad of eigh**** players and in far worse conditions, nowadays most players are lucky if they play 35 -40 , if that aint been fit i dont know what is pal.
    Last edited by Marley past ghosts; 16-02-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Both right in a sense. No frills tougher game in the 70s...but the game is faster now. When I watched that Chelsea FA Cup final, the tackling was rugged, but the pace of the game was a fair bit slower than it is today. But that's the way of most sports these days, to make them more attractive viewing to keep crowds attending. Just watch an era comparison in rugby league matches also. Quite significant in speed difference.

Yeah, its just how footballers/athletes and equipment have evolved over time.

When I was younger and played footy I would inevitably grab my shin-pads. My Dad would scoff at me, "football has gone soft, in my day we would just wear an extra pair of socks or if you were one of the soft ones put an exercise book down your socks" I used all the arguments and could never convince him that they were needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley past ghosts View Post
    fitness has improved definately over the years .and technology as improved players in terms of fitness .

but lets face it nowadays , many of your top players are just simply pampered prima donnas ,

can you imagine jack charlton running round the cinder track , with a woolly hat and gloves on eh lol

no neither can i , give me the seventies anyday of the week fella lol

the revie side used to play nearly sixty games a season on a regular basis, with a squad of eigh**** players and in far worse conditions, nowadays most players are lucky if they play 35 -40 , if that aint been fit i dont know what is pal.
    Game has changed get over it fitness levels must have trippled since the 70s, One thing that is my bug bearer in todays game is players wearing gloves, Hate it no need. You my friend remind me of someone only he used to use HaHa instead of lol all the time.Mmmm have you matured.

Quote Originally Posted by pete1967b View Post
    Game has changed get over it fitness levels must have trippled since the 70s, One thing that is my bug bearer in todays game is players wearing gloves, Hate it no need. You my friend remind me of someone only he used to use HaHa instead of lol all the time.Mmmm have you matured.
    dont talk crap , players are constantly injured nowadays .

the revie side played wind snow or blow over 50- 60 games a season and played on pitches that would be abandoned nowadays lol

penalty shootouts instead of replays in cup competitions lol , half of the players now, would not last five minutes if they had to play in the seventies without their gloves or tights on lol

matter of opinion obviously , but the facts are you are talking about a far weaker breed of player nowadays , because they play in a less fierce environment . no hard men anymore because its virtually a no contact sport .

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Last year we may have had the best defense in the championship.
    If we had last years defense meaning Taylor (before he downed tools), Bartley and Green back with this years attack we'd be easily in top 6. Sadly and this is the reason we will never get promoted is we continually let go of our best players every season and then pretend we will replace them which we just can't do.

You don't sell Wood (30 goals), Taylor (arguably best LB in league), Bridcutt (CH experience) and Green (quality + CH experience) + lose Bartley (captain + top 4 CB in league) then expect to get promoted.

Be like us selling Saiz, Vieira, Jansson and Ayling in the off season and then pretending we've got a hope in hell of promotion the next.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)