+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you know # 25...

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    Well, their 24,000 in mid week, with, I imagine, a healthy support from Derby meant that they fell a little bit further behind us.
    And looking at the highlights on TV it looked like there was about 15,000 there
    Mate of mines cousin who works in their offices said if the average was based on footfall it would be about 22/23000.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    Probably like many Blades through the years I was brainwashed into thinking the Pigs average support was thousands in front of ours. I was told all about every attendance in the 40's and 50's being 50000+.

I think we were always led to believe that support was pretty even in the city, but that the oinkers had a wider appeal outside the city than we did, possibly due to their unusual name* and ground being used for FA Cup semi finals.

*I don't think it ever really meant much in terms of feet on the terracing, but people do latch onto teams with memorable names (being named after a day of the week...) like they did when 'Young Boys of Bern' came to prominence from the Swiss League, as an example.
    Last edited by FatherKnowsBest; 16-02-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Bluntsmad - The home of myths.

porktalk home of pigs

Quote Originally Posted by mcnulty1 View Post
    Bluntsmad - The home of myths.
    Tell me what I've said that is mythical. Coming from a master liar that's a bit rich.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    No I meant a world class ground, forward thinking boards and ability to spend. This was mainly in the fifties and sixties. At least they got what they paid for, Tommy Craig record buy for a ****ager was always someone I think should have done better. Now they pay £10.4 million for a goalscorer who can't score, and £6 million on an average midfield player.
    They didn’t have a world class roof on their Kop though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12