+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 70 years ago today......

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Aye Rod, it was 71 mate sorry. You get my drift though, most of that promotion team was in place by the season before. No doubt in my mind that Sir Trevor Hockey coming was the biggest catalyst for the change in that team, along with Billy Dearden who we signed from lowly Chester at the back end of the previous season. Trev allowed TC to play his game and Billy would always be available for the through pass. The only other newcomer was Johnny Hope who I think replaced Hodgy during that season, not at the start.
    Hopey came wi David Ford in exchange for King Tudor goin to Newcastle,both Hopey and Trevor were ***** in that run in.Ya know Gentleman John's tactical talk to Trevor was dunt ya? Just you get the ball and give it to TC,tactical genius was Gentleman John.UTCB
    Last edited by rodcurrie; 14-02-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Ronnie your first match Versus Stoke (14th Feb 1948) was 2 weeks after my first match which was on 17th January, 1948. We won that 4-0 against Grimsby Town. I remember some of their players had socks and shirts with holes in them- it being just after the war that money was short and they wore one set all season and washed their kit themselves. I only watched one more game that season- another resounding win , 4-1 against Blackburn. Also, we were hammered 6-0 that season against Portsmouth who later won a couple of back to back Div 1 titles in late 40's early 50's Incidentally, that team you name I have a set of pen pics , in colour, of all 11. Later , I think, Harry Latham took over from Dick Young at centre half. I also, have a coloured photo of the 1938-39 team who were at the top of Division 1 when the War broke out and the league was suspended. Albeit after 3 or 4 games we were top,on goal average (as it was then)and either Stoke or Blackpool were second. So, who knows we could have witnessed (hardly, I was only 2) us win the First division title. What a long wait we've had and still waiting. Just hope we can witness us win something big before we depart.

definetly the oaps thread this one lol but nice to reminise aint it probably spelt that wrong enall oh and that famous stretford end chant hockey is a weerwolf lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darnall Siam Blade View Post
    Ronnie your first match Versus Stoke (14th Feb 1948) was 2 weeks after my first match which was on 17th January, 1948. We won that 4-0 against Grimsby Town. I remember some of their players had socks and shirts with holes in them- it being just after the war that money was s'hort and they wore one set all season and washed their kit themselves. I only watched one more game that season- another resounding win , 4-1 against Blackburn. Also, we were hammered 6-0 that season against Portsmouth who later won a couple of back to back Div 1 titles in late 40's early 50's Incidentally, that team you name I have a set of pen pics , in colour, of all 11. Later , I think, Harry Latham took over from Dick Young at centre half. I also, have a coloured photo of the 1938-39 team who were at the top of Division 1 when the War broke out and the league was suspended. Albeit after 3 or 4 games we were top,on goal average (as it was then)and either Stoke or Blackpool were second. So, who knows we could have witnessed (hardly, I was only 2) us win the First division title. What a long wait we've had and still waiting. Just hope we can witness us win something big before we depart.
    Cheers DSB! Hate to tell you this, but the 4-1 over Blackburn was actually on December 6th 1947, 6 weeks BEFORE the Grimsby match.
    So you beat me by 10 weeks!
    The Portsmouth 0-6 was earlier that season (Sept 17th) and Pompey did indeed win the League the next season - just as we were relegated, even though we beat them 3-1 at the Lane in the February. Funny old game, football!

bet you both sang ilkley moor bah tat dint ya in the 50s and early 60s how come that came to be our song ?

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    bet you both sang ilkley moor bah tat dint ya in the 50s and early 60s how come that came to be our song ?
    First sung (as far as I know) at White Hart Lane, 25th Jan 1958 after our epic 3-0 demolition of Spurs in the 4th round of the cup. We didn’t have a club song then. Not many teams did, although Brum already had their “Keep right on to the end of the road” (a Scottish song which seemed a bit of an odd choice for a team from Birmingham). Anyway, I was standing behind the goal that day, but at the end of the game, from the stands up above came the sound of “Ilkley Moor” - I think because it was the only (fairly) local song they could think of - we were from Yorkshire and we were in London. It only stayed in vogue for a comparatively short time as it was quickly realised it would have been much more suitable for Leeds!
    By the way, that day trip to London, coming back on the midnight special, was one of my truly great days out watching United.

ah interesting that ronnie can remember it being sung before the ipswich game and it sounded great when was the gcb first sung then had to have been mid 80s wouldnt it

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    First sung (as far as I know) at White Hart Lane, 25th Jan 1958 after our epic 3-0 demolition of Spurs in the 4th round of the cup. We didn’t have a club song then. Not many teams did, although Brum already had their “Keep right on to the end of the road” (a Scottish song which seemed a bit of an odd choice for a team from Birmingham). Anyway, I was standing behind the goal that day, but at the end of the game, from the stands up above came the sound of “Ilkley Moor” - I think because it was the only (fairly) local song they could think of - we were from Yorkshire and we were in London. It only stayed in vogue for a comparatively short time as it was quickly realised it would have been much more suitable for Leeds!
    By the way, that day trip to London, coming back on the midnight special, was one of my truly great days out watching United.
    I luv these type of threads Ronaldo,i used to sit near a fella called Les(he used to sell the Star outside the owd markets)at some academy games at BDBL and he used to tell me tales of before my time as a BLADE as of course do you when i have the good fortune to be in your company.I think your knowledge is terrific on these past games,well done mi owd pal.UTCB

They used to play ‘Ilkly Moor bah Tat’ over the tannoy as the teams ran out when I first started going.

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    ah interesting that ronnie can remember it being sung before the ipswich game and it sounded great when was the gcb first sung then had to have been mid 80s wouldnt it
    The original Annie’s song was written in 1973, but I have no idea how long we have used our version. According to Wiki, it is thought to have first been used at the opening game of the 1985/86 season away at Stoke. Whether this is correct or not, perhaps someone who was there can confirm or deny.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast